Anyone buy one of those pen guns?

PDA

Min
August 8, 2004, 07:19 PM
Either the Stinger or the ones that look like a pen and fires .22lr.

There's even one that writes and some shoot .25ACP or better.

I think they're cool, but are they practical?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone buy one of those pen guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PMDW
August 8, 2004, 09:03 PM
I can't think of any practical use for one. They're neat, though. If I had $400 to spare I'd get one.

Nick1911
August 8, 2004, 09:09 PM
I thought that would make a cool home machine shop project...

Of course after doing any\all BATF paperwork! :uhoh:

Nick

jefnvk
August 8, 2004, 09:34 PM
You have a link?

RRTX
August 8, 2004, 09:45 PM
Kinda neat, but I don't think it would be worth the paperwork effort for an AOW.

tiberius
August 8, 2004, 09:54 PM
You have a link?

The corporate site seems to be down...but here's an info site: http://pengun.com/

I always found them intruiging...but probably no pratical use.

MAURICE
August 8, 2004, 10:16 PM
No paperwork or stamps involved according to the site:
The Stinger is the only "legal" pengun -- legal in that it considered an ordinary pistol by the ATF. This is because it cannot fire till it is folded into the recognizable shape of a pistol.

Roz
August 8, 2004, 10:28 PM
AFAIK, the Stinger Penguns were made in MI. Were is the key word. If I remember correctly, the company went bankrupt recently. Which would explain why the corporate website was down.

Jeff OTMG
August 8, 2004, 11:39 PM
I have one of the Braverman designed Pen Pistols made by American Derringer in Waco, Tx. A Stinger was made back in the '70's by MAC in Ga. and is a pen gun. A pen gun is a Class VI (I think) AOW requiring a $5 transfer fee, a Pen Pistol is a Class I firearm and is transferred as any other handgun. They are not very well made, but I paid less than $200 for mine and it is an interesting curiosity. They are heavy, a single shot, small caliber, and slow to reload. If you 'need' something like that a Downsizer is a much better choice.

SOT_II
August 8, 2004, 11:54 PM
There are two types:

The stinger pengun version does not fire in the form of a pen...I've sold a few as a novelty but they are really not good for anything.

Then there is the pengun that fires while looking like a pen which is an AOW.

Neat things to play with but not really useful for most things people will come up against.

The Hitman
May 7, 2006, 06:07 PM
:cool: ( "http://www.stingerpengun.com") www.stingerpengun.com

Hkmp5sd
May 7, 2006, 06:56 PM
I'd buy one if I could find one. Don't see them around.

candr44
May 7, 2006, 07:16 PM
I saw one at a gun show once and thought they were interesting but not very practical. You had to stretch it and then bend it to be able to fire a single shot. Then you had to unscrew it to reload. I also thought the $300 price tag was too much for a novelty. A deringer would be more practical.

Third_Rail
May 7, 2006, 07:39 PM
They're incredibly simple in design, and way more dangerous than other firearms. The potential for an ND is huge, and many end in death.

That being said, I'm still going to be making one after I turn 21, form a trust or LLC, pay the $200, wait, wait, wait, get the tax stamp back, and get the materials together. :)

bumm
May 7, 2006, 11:42 PM
I've got one by American Derringer in .25 caliber that I inherited. I've never shot the thing, and probably never will... it seems like a pretty good way to shoot yourself through the hand stretching it out and folding it. Kinda neat as a novelty item, though.
My brother has a gun that looks like a pipe. Hell if I'd carry that thing around in my mouth...
Marty

Hkmp5sd
May 8, 2006, 12:17 AM
That being said, I'm still going to be making one after I turn 21, form a trust or LLC, pay the $200, wait, wait, wait, get the tax stamp back, and get the materials together

The "Stinger" pen gun isn't NFA. It is considered a handgun.

Hkmp5sd
May 8, 2006, 12:17 AM
Double tap.

asknight
May 8, 2006, 12:53 AM
Don't buy. They blow up in your hand.

Here's a first hand report (http://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2006/05/wheres-my-earth-shattering-kaboom.html).

jeepmor
October 7, 2006, 07:21 AM
I stumbled onto this refinishing link and Lauer sells them. And they want $450 for them. I'd buy one if I was going to invest the effort in building them. I'd also build it off the looks of one of those fatter based pens for more grip. I've heard they kick like :evil: :cuss:

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?Category=151

Third_Rail
October 7, 2006, 07:59 AM
I know it's an old thread, but "they KB" is a bit... misleading. He didn't fully close the action (screw the barrel down) and fired. Try that with any gun and you'll see why the action needs to be closed all the way.

Molon Labe
October 7, 2006, 09:30 AM
Kid shoots himself with pen gun. Now sheriff wants to see them outlawed. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=169399)

gezzer
October 7, 2006, 09:35 PM
Got a stinger and it is threaded 1/2x28 fits my outback can. It is a novelty realy I can't hit anything past 5'

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone buy one of those pen guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!