What could another cult gun?

PDA

valor1
August 9, 2004, 09:42 PM
The following have been very successful cult guns:
- Glocks
- Browning

What culd be other candidates for being transformed into a cult gun? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "What could another cult gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GTKrockeTT
August 9, 2004, 09:45 PM
makarov
p7 series
SIGs!!!!!:D

wally
August 9, 2004, 09:53 PM
I've a hard time accepting 1911, Glock or Browning HiPower or SIG as any kind of "cult" gun as they are very mainstream. Same for Maks too many of them made by too many different countries for them to be a "cult" item.

I think the HK P7 pistols fit my definition of a cult gun. I'd offer up the RAP 440 as another from the cheap side of the isle. Styer might be another IMHO, but I've never shot one of these.

--wally.

George Hill
August 9, 2004, 09:55 PM
Kel Tecs
Berettas
CZs

Mr Jody Hudson
August 9, 2004, 09:57 PM
KELTEC

GLOCK

ROHRBAUGH

MAKAROV

nero45acp
August 9, 2004, 10:09 PM
SIG (already has cult-like following)

other possible candidates:

Steyr

Kahr

Rohrbaugh

SA's XD series

nero

wally
August 9, 2004, 10:10 PM
Year Rorhbaugh, Seecamps, definitely.

Kel-Tecs too, especially the way their enthusiests act about them, check out www.ktog.com forums :)

I guess folks who buy into the "Glock Perfection" crap would qualify as cultists too :)

--wally.

Flashpoint
August 9, 2004, 11:03 PM
Here's you a cult.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14896&highlight=steyr+cult

Soap
August 9, 2004, 11:39 PM
Hi Point. Membership is slim though these days :p

DDGator
August 10, 2004, 12:10 AM
H&K P7, Rohrbaugh R-9s, Seecamp .32 and .380

sgt127
August 10, 2004, 02:08 AM
http://www.ktog.org

Try this. Unless you are REALLY into knitting and if so, you may need therapy.

arinvolvo
August 10, 2004, 04:18 AM
i can see kahr becoming a mainstream gun, much like sigs and glocks.

i dont see the steyr doing the same, but nevertheless has a loyal cult following...myself incuded.

Rich357
August 10, 2004, 04:43 AM
The Smith & Wesson Performance Center 952.

Why? Very well made, accurate, not all that well known, and good looking.

Rich

telewinz
August 10, 2004, 06:26 AM
Keltecs have all the makings of a "cult" gun.

Hal
August 10, 2004, 08:26 AM
I agree with 2 of George's
- Berettas
- CZs
They seem to fit the same groove as the 1911& HP as a basic military sidearm which goes mainstream.

Some possibilities depending on future world events/world economy could be:
- Walther P99
- Daewoo DP-51
- IMI SP-21 Barak pistol (probably one of the homeliest guns made)(course a hump-back didn't stop the Browning Auto from becoming a "cult" gun)http://world.guns.ru/handguns/barak.jpg

shep854
August 10, 2004, 10:18 AM
Definitely CZs.

armoredman
August 10, 2004, 10:24 AM
CZs...

Roc_Kor
August 10, 2004, 10:55 AM
CZs
Makarovs
SIGs

Craig M. Arnold
August 10, 2004, 11:02 AM
CZs
KelTecs

Black Snowman
August 10, 2004, 12:03 PM
All shall bow before the excellent value of CZs!

Another defiate cult brand that sneaks under the radar but has a loyal following: Taurus.

Johnny Guest
August 10, 2004, 12:19 PM
Much depends on how you define certain terms. I'm not ready to articulate a good, short, definition. I'm kinda like the unschooled person wandering through a gallery:
"I don't know anything about art, but I know what I like." Well, I dunno much about cults, but I'll hang the label where ever I think it belongs. ;)

wally wrote: I've a hard time accepting 1911, Glock or Browning HiPower or SIG as any kind of "cult" gun as they are very mainstream. Same for Maks too many of them made by too many different countries for them to be a "cult" item. Sir, I understand what you're saying, but respectfully disagree. Perhaps it is my historical perspective, as shooting enthusiast and cop, and especially as pertains to the 1911 and High Power.

I was the first officer in my county to regularly carry an autoloader as my duty sidearm - - A 1911 type. Soon thereafter, the police department in the county seat formed a drug squad and got special permission to carry autos. A new Ranger assigned here carried a 1911. First thing you knew, auto pistols in general were almost a cult thing, and the 1911 in particular.

Then came practical pistol competition, IPSC and the like. As soon as the local police got the okay to pack autos, there were strong factions that favored the Browning High Power as well as the 1911.

Going back a bit further - - When I got my first badge, the old timers were split between the standard revolvers, S&W K-frame or Colt, four-inch .38 Special, or else the large frame .357. But there was already a move afoot toward the K-frame .357. For a time, if you didn't have a Model 19, you just weren't "with it." Was this a cult thing, or just progressive officers recognizing a superior concept? One might also wonder the same about the later Glock phenomenum. :confused:

I wouldn't argue the concept regarding SiGs, Maks, or Glocks. The Kel Tecs certainly atttained cult status in very short order. I dunno about the Seecamps - -Were they a cult thing, or simply a status item due to scarcity?

Interesting topic, valor1.

Best,
Johnny

Matt G
August 10, 2004, 02:05 PM
Hm. Definition of a cult.

Utter devotion to a concept. Repetition of the same phrases (read "chants") over and over. Sense of belonging to a group. Ready defense of a concept.

Let's see:

Glocks? Check.
High-Powers? Check.
1911s? Check.

Um. . .
In a DIFFERENT kind of way, there's certainly a cult of the Luger.

I have to agree that KelTec has its cult, and I suppose I'm a member.(I joined KTOG in 1998.)

I've just recently realized that there's a cult of CZ's and their spinoffs.

Briefly, a couple of years ago, there was a USP cult, but I don't notice it so much these days.

Anyone remember the M9/Berretta 92 cult that sprung up in the late '80s and early '90s? You don't see it much anymore.

HK P7 owners and lovers form a small but very vocal cult. We have a couple of the Cult Of The Teutonic Staplegun members on our Staff, to tell the truth. :)

I've even run into a rather stident vein of lovers of Ruger autopistols (P90 and P89, mostly). They seem. . . rather defensive. :)

Here's a cult I would have thought would be there, but isn't, to my knowledge: S&W autoloaders. Sure, a lot of folks like the 59 and 39, but how many are really cultish about 'em? And I just don't find a Sigma cult. :p

Johnny Guest
August 10, 2004, 04:59 PM
- - Which is fine, considering the forum in which we are. At. :p

Most of us pistoleros (y revolveros??) are fairly reasonable in our devotions to our particular marques, even the Glockers and Elevenistas. I said FAIRLY. But, wow, those long gun guys! I don't know if you can consider the Kalashnikov devotees and AR lovers members of their respective CULTS, or if they are simply natural rivals. Sometimes, I think it's more of a holy war.

A more, uh, pure cult is found in those who are so dedicated to the Moisin Nagant rifles. Lately, there's been a similar group concerned with the Swiss rifles, and particularly the K31. Really, I think the entire military-rifles-of-yesteryear group approaches supercult status. ;)

Not arguing here, Matt G, but I wonder if the intense Beretta-loyalty group didn't begin more as a tribute to US military and LAPD adoption, fueled by a near overload of depictions in the movies, than an actual cult effect. A fine line, perhaps . . . .
:rolleyes:

Michael Zeleny
August 10, 2004, 05:24 PM
A more, uh, pure cult is found in those who are so dedicated to the Moisin Nagant rifles. Lately, there's been a similar group concerned with the Swiss rifles, and particularly the K31.By the same token, in view of the rigors of Swiss pistol shooting disciplines, their implements, especially the John Moses Browning-engendered native SIG P210 (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75278) and the naturalized Georg Luger offspring of 06/24 and 06/29 Parabellums (http://forums.lugerforum.com/cgi-bin/lugerforum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000090), certainly qualify as pure cult guns.

Beetle Bailey
August 10, 2004, 05:32 PM
Uh, besides the people who drink Kool-Aid because someone tells'em to, when I think of a "cult" I think of a small group of people who really, really like something that the mainstream is largely oblivious to. In the United States, CZ's aren't a big name but they have a loyal following, especially the CZ75's. I don't know of any Hollywood action films that feature CZ's, nor do I see many CZ's at the shooting range, either available for rent or in the hands of shooters.

I also nominate the P7M8, since they are a bit uncommon and also seem to be adored by their owners. A local gunshop owner loves them and all his employees carry them in the store. I found it easy to shoot but it's out of my price-range.

Dr.Rob
August 10, 2004, 05:36 PM
There is definitely a "cult" of P-7 fans out there... but membership is almost as pricey as becoming a scientologist.

And don't get me started on the Holy Grail of 45 autos... the P9S.

I started the cult of FEG, I think they owe me a marketing bonus.

NoBite
August 10, 2004, 06:00 PM
Well, not exactly in keeping with the pistol nature of this thread, but I'd like to put forth the REM870 as a cult "gun." So many ways to modify it and employ it as one of the ultimate HD weapons.

In the pistol category, I'd agree with the CZ, though I don't yet have one.

Michael Zeleny
August 10, 2004, 06:26 PM
Well, not exactly in keeping with the pistol nature of this thread, but I'd like to put forth the REM870 as a cult "gun." The Remington 870 is far too popular to be an object of a cult. I nominate the venerable Winchester 1897 and its successor, the M-12, arguably the best repeating shotgun ever made.

rbernie
August 10, 2004, 06:31 PM
CZ75
Makarov

shep854
August 10, 2004, 07:08 PM
While this is an auto forum, there's no way we can leave out the cult wheelguns; Colt SAA, the Ruger 'Hawks, and quite possibly the ULTIMATE cult gun---the S&W 29!

Regarding the Taurus, Ruger, and Smith auto shooters, to me they don't really act cultish; they (we) just enjoy the guns and hang loose.

Drjones
August 10, 2004, 07:36 PM
The following have been very successful cult guns:

Two World Wars and countless other wars and conflicts, not to mention the fact that the 1911 is the most popular gun for IPSC/IDPA, and countless numbers of people who carry them daily, both professional military/LEO elite operators and private citizens and its a "cult" gun????

:scrutiny: :scrutiny:

:confused:

Rembrandt
August 10, 2004, 09:25 PM
I would suspect more people have bought Desert Eagles as a result of seeing one in a movie than any other handgun. Much like the run on .44 mags after the Dirty Hairy movies, Desert Eagles have to be at the top of the list as having a cult type following.

Flashpoint
August 10, 2004, 10:19 PM
I nominate the venerable Winchester 1897 and its successor, the M-12, arguably the best repeating shotgun ever made.

I got one of those this weekend, it was a handmedown. :D

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95944

Black Snowman
August 10, 2004, 11:07 PM
Thanks Rembrandt, who could forget the DEagle!

Which made me think of a more sinster and hidden cult. Learking just benieth the surface. I speak of .. . .

the 10mm cult!

People who will buy guns they DON'T EVEN LIKE just in the name of supporting thier favorite caliber!

How do I know this?

I just realised the other day I was a member when I was disapointed that the 1006 had sold at Cabela's. A handgun that has probably the WORST feel in my hand of any autoloader I have ever held. I can hold my DEagle .50 AE on target with my left hand easier than I can get a good grip on a 1006. But I still kinda want one . . .

shep854
August 10, 2004, 11:22 PM
Black Snowman, the 10millies ain't got nothin' on the Ninemikymiky bunch!:neener: :D

Of course, the Forty-Fivers can kick up a pretty good fuss, too.:evil: If you want to hear them howl, just mention the .40 Whatever.:what:

tc300mag1
August 10, 2004, 11:23 PM
Sig hipower and HK

Denmark116
August 10, 2004, 11:45 PM
In my opinion, one of the truest examples of a cult gun is the BERSA .380...

Very much out of the mainstream, but with a true diehard following...

I really surprised that I got into this thread sooooo late and no one threw out the Bersa.....

sgt127
August 11, 2004, 01:24 AM
Other potential Cult Guns:

The Auto Mag line
The S&W Mod. 58 .41 magnum

Matt G
August 11, 2004, 02:07 AM
Good point on the Bersa. That's another cult I just recently realized was out there. I sort of shrug, because there are other pistols that do the assorted things it might be tasked for better, in my opinion, but it's a pretty well-made little gun that has a pretty fierce following.

Question: does anyone know of a cult following for the oversized derringers like the Davis? Somebody's buying 'em. . . !

There for awhile, it seemed like everyone I met had a Tomcat, and loved it to death.

Johnny Guest, I don't know why that wouldn't be a cult. I heard many people gleefully say that their 92F was "just like the one Mel Gibson had in Lethal Weapon!", and seemed really excited to find others who also had the WonderNine. Blah blah "firepower!" blah blah "Double Action!" blah blah "Military and LA PD!" Blah blah. . . [see my previous remark about chanting a mantra]

Johnny Guest
August 11, 2004, 03:33 PM
:D

Mike_IN_PA
August 11, 2004, 03:39 PM
"Jennings Nine"

:D

pakmcc
August 11, 2004, 06:22 PM
CZ's mostly the 9mm 75's, but Makarovs
for sure
The CZ 52's could be a cult all of their own. The Makarovs, also. But watch the witness (EAA) They have a lot going for them also.
NO, I don't see many CZ's or witness around here either. But I haven't had any one turn me down to shoot my CZ's either. and the shooter are really supprised how well these things shoot. Even my CZ 83 in .380.
Pat McC

Benjamin
August 11, 2004, 09:55 PM
Ever seen really serious S&W fans? Some are downright crazy.

Litlman
August 12, 2004, 11:15 AM
CZ's ad Mak's.

If you enjoyed reading about "What could another cult gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!