Easiest to clean Semi-Autos in order...?

PDA

valnar
August 9, 2004, 09:53 PM
OK. Glocks, SIGs, HK, Springfield, Beretta, 1911, etc, etc.

Can anyone put them in order of easiest to field strip and clean to the most complicated?

I haven't found anything nicer to clean (and shoot!) than my SIG's, so I wanted to know what else is out there that competes in this category.

For the record, I hardly shoot my (one and only) 1911 because its a pain. :banghead:

-Robert

If you enjoyed reading about "Easiest to clean Semi-Autos in order...?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wally
August 9, 2004, 10:01 PM
IMHO I think they are about equally a PITA to clean. The dissembly/reassembly is such a small part of the overall cleaning time budget I'd not bother argueing about which are easier to take down and put back together. Ruger Mk I .22LR and its updated versions get my vote as the largest PITA, however.

Unless its in my carry rotation or I know its gonna just sit in the safe for a long time I only clean 'em when they need it -- i.e. start messing up, usually with failure to feed or eject. I just wipe them down, put a few drops of Break-Free (or lately Dupont Multi-Use Teflon Performance Lube) cycle the action and wipe off the excess.

--wally.

Rupestris
August 9, 2004, 10:37 PM
Ruger Mk I .22LR and its updated versions get my vote as the largest PITA
You ain't kiddin'. :banghead: Never thought I'd see the day I needed a mallet to disassemble/reassemble a handgun.
Ruger Mark I, II, & III are the absolute worst 'til you get 'em WELL broken in.
Personally I think the 1911 is pretty simple.

CZ52GUY
August 9, 2004, 10:47 PM
Glocks, easy to take down, clean up very fast and easy.

CZ-75's, not too far behind.

Ruger P95DC & SigPro 2009...just a little more finesse to take down and reassemble, but clean up isn't too bad.

Mak's are a little weird to take down/reassemble but not too bad...they do seem to build up more dirt with the Russian ammo' I use.

My Arcus is very easy to take down, builds also up a lot of filth during firing.

1911, a little more complicated to take down (and reassemble)...also seems to catch more dirt than the Glocks.

Sig P220ST...stainless Prima Donna ;)...gosh I love that piece though :D...I scrub and polish that thing more than anything else I own.

CZ52' (buy the takedown tool from www.makarov.com !)...other than that, not terrible to clean...another Prima Donna that gets a lot of attention :).

Safe shooting,

CZ52'

sm
August 9, 2004, 10:53 PM
The 1911 is pretty easy to field strip and clean.

My Keltec P-11 is pretty easy too. If I need to inspect after carrying a bit, I use a can of Dust Off ( canned air) drop of oil on rails - I'm done. :D

Neither requires tools , unless I take the grips off a 1911. The Keltec P-11 - where in the heck would I use a tool? :p

I like simple, I like platforms that allow me inspect and maintain firearms anywhere , anytime, anyplace. Hey fighting off the mutant ninja bears, pumas, zombies and such and get mine all muddy ....I don't need a roll around tool chest to maintain a 1911, P-11 , K frame ,Detective Spl,O/U, SxS, Single shot shotgun, Bolt rifle, 870 ....
Work smarter - not harder I say....

arinvolvo
August 10, 2004, 04:23 AM
Steyr takes down faster than any pistol i have ever stripped, sigs and glocks included.

BamBam-31
August 10, 2004, 04:29 AM
Glocks are by far the easiest to strip and clean. E-Z. ;)

All my other pistols are also fairly easy, but the Glock is definitely in a class of its own in this regard.

My P7M8, on the other hand.... :banghead:

Black Snowman
August 10, 2004, 10:48 AM
Of the guys I've taken down the Glock takes 1st place, barely, due to the captured recoil spring assembly. Everything else you have to worry about a potential projectile/part hunt ;) Also the fact that I don't seem to NEED to clean it, except to keep myself clean, makes life easier as well.

DETAIL stripping I'd have to say the 1911 takes the cake. All the tools are on the gun and if you have the origional style grip screws they can be undone with a .45 ACP rim. It took me a while to figure out but now I can tear down and put together even my series 80 style Delta Elite rather quickly. Only hang up for me is re-assembly is slower and tricker.

My plungers like to get in the way of re-installing the safety and slide stop levers and I have to get creative. It could be fixed but I'm just haven't gotten around to it yet.

The glock requires a small punch to detail strip. Not a big deal but not as independant as the 1911.

Haven't had a chance to tear down a Steyr pistol.

CZ 75 series guns are pretty easy to detail strip but to completely take it down requires dealing with roll pins, which I hate. Definately not a field job. Several tiny springs that are easy to lose are involved.

BHPshooter
August 10, 2004, 01:09 PM
I can't imagine anything being easier to field strip than a Beretta 92.

However, from a safety standpoint, I like that it is all but impossible to field strip a loaded Hi Power. [Yes, if you were really, really, really stupid it could be done, but then, nothing is out of reach of the truly idiotic.]

As for cleaning, I find it very therapeutic, and it generally feels like it has happened way too fast.

Wes

ruger357
August 10, 2004, 01:40 PM
Glocks.

Highpower1
August 10, 2004, 01:47 PM
the hardest pistol that I have to clean is my Ruger 22/45 suppressed pistol. Actually the cleaning part isn't hard, it's just a pain in the rear to get it back together.

Penforhire
August 10, 2004, 02:05 PM
P99. Pull down release, slide moves off forward, pop spring out, lift barrel out. Done.

My Series 70 and Ruger MkII tie for most difficult.

Rival
August 10, 2004, 02:44 PM
I am surprised nobody mentioned Browning Hi Power.
BHP is easy to field strip and clean. A bit more complex when it comes to full take down. 1911 is better in that regard - no tools at all. Makarov is easiest when it comes to complete take down.

boofus
August 10, 2004, 03:24 PM
Ingram style MAC clones and smgs are pretty easy to strip and clean. Push out 1 pin and the whole gun falls apart into 3 hunks of metal. Just the upper, lower and bolt. Blast it all with gunscrubber, dunk it in breakfree, wipe off the excess and stick it back together.

The Steyr SPP was kind of a pain to put back together, you had to hold the rotating bolt at a certain position and then try to stick the upper back onto the lower while pushing a metal tab in the front and trying to keep the recoil spring from popping out the back. :scrutiny:

lee n. field
August 10, 2004, 04:11 PM
Of what I have experience with, my CZ-100 is dead easy, and my Ruger auto is only bit harder. Makarov if easy to take apart, can be finnecky to get the slide back on.

pakmcc
August 11, 2004, 06:06 PM
For the easty to take down and clean, MY .45 full size witness, and the 9x18 Makarov are first. (I've got an old BErnellil .22 that is as quick as the Makarov) and then the CZ 75's and/or CZ 83. Pat McC

Dr.Rob
August 11, 2004, 10:41 PM
BHP... super easy, no fuss.

Though the second FEG my dad picked up has a stiffer detent when replacing the slide stop.

jc2
August 11, 2004, 11:23 PM
I'd pick Berettas as the most easy--drop the mag, turn the lever, and it all comes apart (and the barrel is chromed for easy cleaning).

SIGs are next--drop the mag, lock the slide back, turn the lever, and it comes apart (SIG barrels take more work).

Glocks are probably next--drop the mag, lock the slide back, check the chamber, check the chamber again, look at and feel the chamber, run the slide forward (remembering NOT to put the magazine back in before you do it), point the pistol in a very safe direction (a bullet catcher is nice here), pull the trigger, pull the slide back about a quarter inch (but not too far), pull those stupid little buttons down on both sides (a real PITA with slippery or oily fingers), and slide the barrel while holding the little buttons down, if you have a NY spring you will probably have to hold the trigger down for the slide to come off (Glock barrels clean easy).

I only way I can figure people think Glocks are easy to clean is because they haven't fieldstripped a Beretta 92/96/Cougar or a classic SIG.

BHPshooter
August 11, 2004, 11:37 PM
Though the second FEG my dad picked up has a stiffer detent when replacing the slide stop.

I assume that's the same thing that's going on with my FEG. I replaced the ugly, bulbuous extended slide stop with a Browning unit, and that sucker is in there TIGHT. I have to push the slide stop pin against something hard to get it out... I can try all do to get it out by hand, but I'll just have injured fingers.

However, I use the original style slide stop better, so it's staying in there.

Wes

valor1
August 11, 2004, 11:45 PM
Glocks are very easy to clean. You can even disassemble it easily up to the smallest parts with a simple punch tool.

Then the Walther P99s and the Berettas follow.

Then the Sigs

Then CZ's

Then the 1911s

Well it's just me.

Rival
August 12, 2004, 12:34 AM
Glocks are very easy to clean. You can even disassemble it easily up to the smallest parts with a simple punch tool.
Did you know that you don't need ANY tools to take Makarov completely apart down to the last pin? Did you know that Makarov only has ONE pin? Did you know that Makarov has LESS parts than Glock?

jc2
August 12, 2004, 12:59 AM
The Makarov is far easier to detail strip/disassemble than the Glock--the 1911 is not far (if any) behind the Glock.

The question, however, was NOT about detail stripping but about field stripping and cleaning:
Can anyone put them in order of easiest to field strip and clean to the most complicated?

valor1
August 12, 2004, 01:06 AM
Rival,
sorry I didn't know. Haven't touched a Makarov yet. thanks for the info.

jc2,
I know about the thread topic of "Easiest to clean Semi-Autos in Order." I just said " You can even disassemble it easily up to the smallest parts with a simple punch tool.". i am not saying that you have to or need to diassemble it to the smallest parts. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Ala Dan
August 12, 2004, 01:13 AM
Greeting's To All-

I've had best results with SIG's and Glock's. Even after
learning the rituals of the Ruger MK-II (KMK-512) it wasn't
too bad. The biggest pain too me is any 1911. When
it comes too removing the extractor and firing pin, the old
eyes ain't what they used to be!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Rembrandt
August 12, 2004, 06:39 AM
I'm surprised no has mentioned the Desert Eagle and Model 41 S&W.....you could change barrels on either of these in under 5 seconds.

Hal
August 12, 2004, 07:49 AM
Since for cleaning I don't ever go normally go beyond field stripping, I'll stick to that.

Far and away the easiest is my Ruger .22/45.
From start of disassembly to finish of reassembly is doable twice in just a little over 30 seconds if I really push the clock. I know of at least 3 or 4 other people here that can do it even faster.

2nd - would be my old POS FIE .380. Rotate the safety, pull the barrel back and lift it off.

3rd - CZ75b and/or High Standard Sport King.

4th - everything else semi-auto.

(I know you specified semi auto)(I started w/revolvers and when I bought - fired -and cleaned my first semi all I could think was "That's it? Wow - simple")
5th - by the same margin as that old nag I bet on last time @ the race track
(meaning that old nag was so far back it was in third place in the NEXT race on the card:cuss: ):D
The,, {{{shudder}}},,(gasp),, the revolvers.
*sigh* everything nasty X 6.

If you enjoyed reading about "Easiest to clean Semi-Autos in order...?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!