Gun laws in Puerto Rico?

PDA

Fly320s
August 10, 2004, 02:50 PM
Howdy from balmy San Juan.

As I was walking around Old San Juan today, I noticed many police officers and other uniformed, armed people (maybe they are military) on patrol. San Juan has a very good police presence in the Old Town. All of the cops had on soft body armor as the outermost layer of their uniform. I tried to get a look at the sidearms, but the guns were mostly covered by the holsters.

Which leads me to ask about the gun laws here. I know P.R. is a U.S. territory, but I don't think that P.R. residents are represented by our Constitution.

Anyone know the laws?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun laws in Puerto Rico?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
August 10, 2004, 04:48 PM
"Arms Identification Card"
Issuance of the "Arms Identification Card" is virtually "Shall-Issue" and the Colonel of the Policia de Puerto Rico will allow any individual who is not prohibited by Federal Law to obtain a firearm after a background check has been thoroughly performed. Under no circumstances can an individual purchase, transport, carry, or even discharge a firearm at a designated facility unless a proper permit has been issued.

"Special Carrying of Arms License"
Issuance of the "Special Carrying of Arms License" is almost completely discretionary and in order to obtain this amendment to your Arms Identification Card you must have a judge certify your request under the supervision of the court. I have also been informed by the Arms Division of the Policia De Puerto Rico that judges strictly limit licenses to persons specifically employed in security work . . . and to others who can establish an urgent necessity for carrying guns for self-protection. They offered no figures or statistics over the phone, but from what I gathered from the conversation is that Puerto Rico is a "Gun Unfriendly" possession of the US.

2 year minimum prison for carrying w/o a permit. No reciprocity with any other state.

Fly320s
August 10, 2004, 08:02 PM
Well, the scenery is nice.

Thanks, hso.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun laws in Puerto Rico?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!