glock rounds nosediving on hand cycling

PDA

MJRW
August 10, 2004, 06:47 PM
Got many thousand rounds through it. Does it with 15 round mags (brand spanking new magazine springs) and barely used 10 round mags. The first round will frequently nose dive into the feed ramp. It fires fine. Any ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "glock rounds nosediving on hand cycling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Grump
August 10, 2004, 08:25 PM
:neener: Like the old joke about "Doctor! Doctor! It hurts when I do THIS!!!"

:p Then DON"T do that!!:p

*If* you can get 'em to chamber with a light tap on the back of the slide, I wouldn't worry about it.

How many different bullet profiles/brands of ammo do this?

MJRW
August 10, 2004, 09:16 PM
Both 115 grain cor-bon +p and 127 grain winchester ranger +p+.

Brian Williams
August 10, 2004, 09:24 PM
Replaced the recoil spring lately????

replacement rate should be about every 4000 rnds

stans
August 10, 2004, 09:32 PM
Are you riding the slide with your hand or just letting the slide fly? Most pistols are designed with the idea the shooter will let the slide fly when chambering a round. I can induce a lot of failures to feed by slow feeding my pistols.

Grump
August 10, 2004, 09:34 PM
I don't see where the recoil spring would make a difference--until it's so light the slide is really flying.

Brian Williams
August 10, 2004, 10:08 PM
If the recoil spring is weak the round might not get stripped from the magazine fast enough to force it in to the chamber.

Kaz_67
August 11, 2004, 02:48 AM
Is it a G19? If it is you might want to check over at Glocktalk. There seems to be some magazine follower issues and some problems with a redesign due to the NYPD problems.

Lone_Gunman
August 11, 2004, 09:22 AM
If the gun is a Glock 19, look at the followers in the magazine. If they have 2183 stamped on them, they are prone to that kind of problem in some guns. This should be stamped right on the top of the follower where the cartride lies.

If they are stamped 9mm3 then the problem is probably not the followers.

Check those followers and let me know.

longeyes
August 11, 2004, 12:07 PM
Ditto on Glocktalk and the G19. The Cor-Bon 115g +P is one of the worst offenders.

MJRW
August 11, 2004, 12:40 PM
Definitely not the recoil spring. Replaced that about two weeks ago. I also made sure I wasn't riding the slide to be certain it wasn't user error. I'll check the followers. Could a dirty extractor be the culprit?

MJRW
August 11, 2004, 01:06 PM
Update: I just called Glock to ask what they think it may be. They confirmed the follower is the likely culprit. He asked me what followers I have, I told him I didn't know, the magazines are not with me. He asked me how many magazines I have. He is sending me new 9mm3 followers for each mag anyway. If that doesn't fix it, he wants me to call him back.

middy
August 11, 2004, 05:18 PM
I had the same problem hand-cycling with both 9mm3 and 2183 followers on my G19. But I stopped worrying about it, because it never failed to feed the first round and it NEVER failed on any round when actually firing it. I put 600 perfect rounds through it before trading it. I traded it, not because I wasn't confident in it, but because I really wanted a 1911.

Lone_Gunman
August 11, 2004, 11:20 PM
I bet the 9mm3 followers fix you right up.

I am still confused by Glock is still producing the 2183 followers since some G19s have a problem with them.

If you enjoyed reading about "glock rounds nosediving on hand cycling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!