Any good histories of the 1911?

PDA

BHPshooter
August 11, 2004, 10:58 AM
I've recently been re-reading "The Browning High Power Pistol," by R. Blake Stephens. It's fascinating.

Is there anything like that for the 1911 out there? Everything I've heard of in my (informal) searches generally only yields takedown guides, or armorer's guides.

Can anybody recommend one for me?

Wes

If you enjoyed reading about "Any good histories of the 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
garrettwc
August 11, 2004, 12:53 PM
Here is a good free online history http://m1911.org/full_history.htm

If you need to feel the pages between your fingers,

I did a quick search at Amazon.com com and came up with three titles

Colt .45 service pistols: Models of 1911 and 1911A1 : complete military history, development, and production 1900 through 1945

and

The Government Models: The Development of the Colt Model 1911

and

Collector's Guide to Colt .45 Service Pistols: Models of 1911 and 1911a1: From 1911 to the End of Production in 1945: Complete Military Identification

The last one AKA "The Clawson book" for the author Charles Clawson is one of the most recommended books for the 1911 fan.

These books cover from design stage to WWII. The only thing I have seen that covers anything more modern is the Gun Digest book.

Hope this will give you something to get started. I tried to past the actual links but couldn't get them to work right. A search of those titles should work though.

Dave Sample
August 11, 2004, 03:52 PM
I Like Ken Hallocks book. He has line drawings of all of them from the start to current production.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any good histories of the 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!