BREAKING NEWS -- US Troops In Major Attack In Najaf, Iraq

PDA

David
August 12, 2004, 01:08 AM
CNN has just reported that US troops have started a major assault against the militants (i.e. terrorists) in Najaf, Iraq.

No other info at this time.

:eek: :what: :eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "BREAKING NEWS -- US Troops In Major Attack In Najaf, Iraq" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ZekeLuvs1911
August 12, 2004, 04:01 AM
Well, it is about time.......I've always wonder why we even gave them time to dig in. They don't like us over there anyway, so let's give them a reason to dislike us. The situation over there is not going to help our image either way. If we don't go in, they call us soft and weak. We go in, we're now infidels, which we are in their eyes anyway. Since they are using the Holy sites as a military position, I believe the law of warfare declares that a legit target. We need to flatten that place and get this nastiness over with. Will it inflame them? Sure.....of course but tip-toeing around there only encourages them. If the situation were reversed, I'm sure they would have no qualms about "defiling" our Holy sites. (Look at the Hagia Sophia, which was originally a Christian Church)

Fly320s
August 12, 2004, 06:11 AM
Ditto, Zeke.

Why don't we just drop in a few 1,000 pound laser-guided bombs? It would all be over in 5 minutes and our troops will be in less danger.

max popenker
August 12, 2004, 06:31 AM
Why don't we just drop in a few 1,000 pound laser-guided bombs?
and what will be the result? several dozens of civilians, mostly women and children, killed for nothing?

you cannot wage an urban counter-partizan warfare with bombs and artillery; there's no front line and no designated targets.

the only way to win this war is to make more friends tna enemies; so far US did not succeed in that, and Iraq for me looks like 1980-s Afghanistan, with Soviet troops being replaced by US ones.

This is a dirty no-clear-victory war, and i feel sorry for ordinary US men who will die for false reasons, as i still feel sorry for those Russian men who died in Afganistan 15 years ago.

Fly320s
August 12, 2004, 06:39 AM
Max,

I was under the impression that only enemy combatants were in the Mosque area.

If this is an urban-area operation, then by all means we should be careful to avoid civilian casualties.

But, if we can safely assume/predict that only enemy combatants are there, then I think we should use our best weapons to defeat the enemy.

ZekeLuvs1911
August 12, 2004, 06:39 AM
Max,
The problem with your arguement is that "we have to make friends." I'm sorry but we have no friends there. None of those fighting us will ever became our friends. While the ordinary Iraqi will be content to let us try to bring stability to their country, the insurgent will use every dirty trick and tactic to bring us down. No....this war is to the finish and as Patton once said,"Make the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." This war is no way near what Afganistan was to the Russians. The insurgents are mostly tied down to the few cities that they stage out of and we pick them off at leisure when we are allowed to.

BigG
August 12, 2004, 07:26 AM
I vote for flamethrowers.

mete
August 12, 2004, 07:26 AM
This action is being made by IRAN and they are well trained and armed including night vision equipment !!

ClonaKilty
August 12, 2004, 08:03 AM
Fox reporting now that we have retaken the "graveyard" which reportedly the thugs had been using as a base, and have the mosque surrounded.

Here's the thing: when you (i.e., US Army) make the bold public statement that "we are either going to kill or capture al Sadr" and then go ahead and do NEITHER, it really weakens your position. More soldiers will die because of the stupid non-truce than if we had just gone in and pacified the area as planned.

Anyway I wish I could be the one pulling the trigger on al Sadr. A Barrett .50 cal (http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifles/rifles_99.htm/) should do nicely.

Leatherneck
August 12, 2004, 08:20 AM
(i.e., US Army) Ummm...that would be the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit ClonaKilty, with attached Army units supporting. :D

TC
TFL Survivor

ClonaKilty
August 12, 2004, 08:42 AM
Ummm...that would be the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit ClonaKilty, with attached Army units supporting.

OK, OK, ya got me, I didn't do my fact checking properly...maybe I can get a job at CNN?

Hey I also misspelled "Barrett" the first time...you missed that! :p

MrMurphy
August 12, 2004, 08:53 AM
Well there's a solution for the 700+ guys in the mosque..... it's called MOPP Gear and tear gas. 400 canisters of tear gas ought to make them really want to leave. Anybody coming out armed gets shot. Anybody not coming out armed gets arrested. Anybody just plain not coming out gets killed when we send in the boys.

MuzzleBlast
August 12, 2004, 09:13 AM
Here's the thing: when you (i.e., US Army) make the bold public statement that "we are either going to kill or capture al Sadr" and then go ahead and do NEITHER, it really weakens your position. More soldiers will die because of the stupid non-truce than if we had just gone in and pacified the area as planned. What he said! If the politicians had stayed out of the way, this mess would be over already, at least the Najaf campaign.

Tamara
August 12, 2004, 09:22 AM
OT.

If you enjoyed reading about "BREAKING NEWS -- US Troops In Major Attack In Najaf, Iraq" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!