What would WA need to do to get an "F" from Brady Campaign?

PDA

MatthewVanitas
August 12, 2004, 04:31 AM
Greetings. Looking over the Brady Campaigns A-F grades for the various states, I was troubled to see that my homestate, Washington state, rated only a D+. What do we need to do to get an "F"?

Is it the fact that we allow suppressors but not full-auto? Is our lack of open carry law keeping us up?

Our Concealed Carry seems pretty darn good: no training requirement, takes $60 and 45 minutes (arrives in the mail in a couple weeks). Shall issue, even for non-residents (though they must apply in person). Oddly enough, we have a prohibition against carrying concealed at "outdoor music festivals", but I don't think that's the clincher.

Check out the listing of graded states at the link below. Fascinating stuff. If someone has any clue what WA needs to push to get an F, it'd be great to hear it. Take care, -MV

Chart of Brady Campaign "grade" by state (http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=155)

If you enjoyed reading about "What would WA need to do to get an "F" from Brady Campaign?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gray Peterson
August 12, 2004, 04:46 AM
I would say removing nearly all of the restrictions against carry would do it. Oregon has no prohibition against carrying in schools, but Washington State does.

cosmos7
August 12, 2004, 04:59 AM
I would love to move to WA, and quite possibly will some day. Already have WA CCW... the one thing that could make it better would be if WA allowed Title II weapons... :cool:

flatrock
August 12, 2004, 09:12 AM
Did you notice from their own chart shows that restrictive gun laws done have an effect of reducing violent crime.

priv8ter
August 12, 2004, 10:17 AM
If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that our restrictions against NFA weapons are what are keeping us from excelling.

And, it's not just full auto's...we can't have Short barreled shotgun or Short barreled rifles either.

And, if you read the rules on surpressors, you can have them, but not use them, as far as I understand.

Then again, maybe all they are thinking about is Seattle. They would be hard pressed to give a group of Liberals like that an F.

greg

MatthewVanitas
August 12, 2004, 11:10 AM
Huh, wasn't aware that short-barreled longarms were verboten too.

That's the trouble with a lot of these petty little laws: it's hard to see how they will ever change. I somehow don't see a state rep standing up and saying "let's pass a bill to let Washingtonians own sawed-off shotguns!" It just wouldn't play well in the press.

Aside from a simple cleaning of the slate, firearms legislation-wise, I don't see how we can get back Title II, open carry, etc. Very little benefit to the politico who supports it, and a lot of bad press against it.

Nazirite
August 12, 2004, 11:49 AM
I bet the states with the highest grade also have the highest murder rates. Wonder why that is, hummmmmmmm. :scrutiny:

WYO
August 12, 2004, 01:22 PM
Why don't you just call them up and ask what it would take to get an F?

c_yeager
August 12, 2004, 02:07 PM
It's our silly class III prohibition. Not to mention our own 5 day waiting period (if you dont have a CHP). I think thats about it really.

As far as silencers go i thought you could buy/own but that you couldnt actually fit one to a firearm?

SodiumBenzoate
August 12, 2004, 02:22 PM
PA only has a D+, as well....

It must be the law that requires guns to be sold with a lock, because PA's class 3 friendly, except for explosive destructive devices.

I think it's hilarious how Maryland, which is top-rated, has the second highest violent crime rate and one of the higher firearms death rates.

buy guns
August 12, 2004, 04:19 PM
damn we only got a d+ too. must be because open carry is illegal.

Correia
August 12, 2004, 05:35 PM
My state is a D-. That sucks. I can't even think of what would cause that either? Same boat as Washington I guess.

Dead
August 12, 2004, 08:22 PM
It is interesting that it seems that states that have either F's or D's have lower violent crime, and murder rates.... Hmmmmmm I wonder.

If you enjoyed reading about "What would WA need to do to get an "F" from Brady Campaign?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!