Any Comments on the Walther P5?

PDA

E36M3
August 12, 2004, 07:16 PM
I found one (not sure the exact configuration yet) and might trade some stuff for it. Any thoughts would be most appreciated. The Search function showed mostly positive comments.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Comments on the Walther P5?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Barry in IN
August 12, 2004, 07:49 PM
Never owned one. Handled a few, and thought they were smooth working things, though.
The width always turned me off.

plnkr1234
August 22, 2004, 11:33 PM
Hi,

I have a P5c which I love. Compact, reliable, nice engineering. A little thick, but concealable. Nice, simple manual of arms with the single lever for decocking, and slide release. Quite accurate, too, for a small pistol, but the trigger does tend to stack a bit at the end, likely due to the unique firing pin saftey which rotates the back of the pin up in line with the hammer.

These days, there are a lot of servicable ccw pieces out there (Kahr, Glock, etc.), but the P5 has a certain "style" if that's what you're looking for.

Best

denfoote
August 23, 2004, 06:02 AM
IMHO, the P5 is the coolest of the Walther handguns!! It's probably the safest handgun design out there!! I have one and I much prefer it to the HK-P7 or the Sig 225!!

There are three slight drawbacks.
Mags are hard to come by and expensive when found. I haunted gunshows for a couple of years before I finally got enough mags to start a decent rotation!! Holsters are impossible to find, and the sights are a little funky, but liveable!!

But, it's the Mercedes Benz of Walther handguns!! Even more so than the P88!!! :cool:

Spieler
August 23, 2004, 09:50 AM
I want one too!!

Onmilo
August 23, 2004, 10:57 AM
I have owned my Walther P5 for over 10 years now.
I like it but bear in mind you really have to want one of these before I would recommend one now that we are in the era of so many good high capacity small frame handguns.
9 shot capacity, European heel type magazine release, that "anemic" 9mm chambering, expensive replacement magazines, and wider than it needs to be dimensions, makes this design obsolete now.
Still, what a wonderful handgun if one can bear all of the faults.
It is reliable, accurate, pleasant to fire, and a joy to own.
There are rumors that a batch of these are coming in to the USA as used Police pistols from Germany.
If you really want one, start looking
http://www.fototime.com/6E8003E5F6A3EF5/standard.jpg

P5 Guy
August 23, 2004, 11:15 PM
I've owned and carried my P5 Compact for 10+ years. I also practice with it regularly.
There are smaller and less expensive 9mm availible, but I think that the P5 Compact is the best. Notice I said the Compact it has a push button magazine release. The "full-sized" P5 has the heel magazine release and 1/4 inch longer barrel.

cslinger
August 23, 2004, 11:23 PM
I have owned both the P5 and the P5C. I still have the P5. It is an absolutely cool gun. Very cool manual of arms and very reliable and practical. All tha being said I have the SIG P6 and the HK P7 and both are better choices out of the three single stack 9mms.

The SIG is more durable, the HK more accurate. I had to have the P5 because it completed the set, so to speak.

If you are looking just for a reliable, concealable handgun then there are better choices IMHO, not that the P5 is a bad choice.

If you are looking for a cool handgun that is seen very little and is also a solid firearm then I say go for it.

Just my personal take.

Just for the record out of the Walther P5, the SIG P6 and the HK P7 the HK P7 is the coolest and the one I carry the most. This coming from a certified SIG NUT :D

I like my P5 very much though. The P5C I sold for quite a profit mostly becaue I just feel the P5C has so much more character.

Chris.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Comments on the Walther P5?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!