Kahr which one?

PDA

joell33
August 12, 2004, 10:08 PM
Looking at Kahr's (again). Going with the p9 covert or a p9 for ccw. Which one and why?Is the 1/2 inch on the length of the grip on the p9 that big a deal? I will pocket carry some but mostly iwb tucked in shirt. i will practice atleast twice a month will the extra length add enough grip to help a whole lot during range time? What do tou guys think? Any ideas would be great, Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr which one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rogomay
August 12, 2004, 10:40 PM
Good choice for carry. I first bought the P9 and thought it too large for extended IWB carry. Traded for the PM9 and found it to be a little problematic on feed and extraction from the shorty barrel. Traded for the PM40. Bad mistake. I have always had large and strong hands but the 40 wanted to be too uncontrolable for a quick second shot. Traded for the K9 and I still carry this little Kahr today. It may weigh 6oz. more than the P9 but the stainless frame is well worth the weight and controlability. The very best holster to carry the Kahr in is the Mitch Rosen Clipper IWB. My best advice though is to find a shooting range that rents Kahrs or a friend that has one and try it out before you sink money into ones you may end up trading. BTW my K9 shoots smooth and is POA accurate if I do my part up to 25 yards. No malfunctions at all in over 800 rounds. Great pistol.

RealGun
August 12, 2004, 11:09 PM
I don't think I have seen a Kahr that I would consider carrying "in my pocket". Check the weights on those babies. It wouldn't be a P9 or P9Covert.

I carry the biggest gun they make, the T40, formerly a T9. If you are going to carry IWB, get a GUN. You can easily hide the barrel length IWB. The trick with grip length and decent mag capacity is in the holster choice and buying new shirts. My holster is the Kahr Compact Universal from TSC, threatsolutions.com. You can use the longer grip with that holster because of the body hugging angle it achieves at about 4 o'clock strong side. The rigid holster pokes me in the pelvis a bit, but I got used to it.

If you handle the Covert, you will see what a compromise the shorter grip really is. Hand size certainly makes a difference, so it could be the right gun for some. But if you should wind up carrying with the grip extension mag for one more round and a little more grip confidence, what was the point in choosing the Covert?

P9 (http://www.kahr.com/new_pm9094.html)

This may not come up with the right model because of the way the site works, but you can click on the P series model numbers and find it.

You will have to click on KPS9093A to view the 9mm Covert.

cratz2
August 13, 2004, 02:02 AM
Well, I carried a P9 Covert in a tuckable High Noon holster for about 8 months or so... Great carry gun, very trim and very lightweight. Personally, I would definately rather have the P9 Covert than the PM9, but between the Covert and the standard P9, I don't have a strong preference. In all honesty, I'd be more likely to make the step up to the TP9 myself.

Skirmisher
August 13, 2004, 10:04 AM
Hey Realgun--My son and I have been contemplating buying a 40 cal and have been realing thinking about another Kahr. I like the looks of the T40 and he is thinking of the K40 Elite. Any problems with your T40? We are Kahr fans.:D

Calhoun
August 13, 2004, 10:22 AM
My usual carry gun is a P9. No problems so to speak of. The grip isn't that long, so if you look around for the right holster you should be able to get it to conceal fairly easily. Like Rogomay said, try to find a range that rents them, or somebody that will let you shoot theirs and try them for yourself. I will say that the P series are pretty light. Great for carry, but they don't soak up ny of the recoil. Not that big a deal, but something to think about when considering the grip lengenth.

Calhoun

RealGun
August 13, 2004, 11:34 AM
Hey Realgun--My son and I have been contemplating buying a 40 cal and have been realing thinking about another Kahr. I like the looks of the T40 and he is thinking of the K40 Elite. Any problems with your T40? We are Kahr fans.

No problems with either the T9 or T40. On the K40 Elite, consider the wooden grip option. These guns are nice looking as well as functional.

The T40 is not a step up for me. I picked it because my full sized 1911 was never meant to be concealed, way too much gun, although some do it.

With the possible exception of a chopped 1911 SA, there are no guns on my list that I would rather have than the T40. I score much better with the 1911 but appreciate the T40 or any Kahr specifically designed to be compact, powerful, and concealed. I think they will eventually do a .45, and I will probably buy one.

Jiml3
August 13, 2004, 12:34 PM
I have the PM9 and like it but if you are looking for pocket carry, You need to get a pocket holster. In wearing jeans, you will find that the pockets on most are to small and tight making a fast draw questionable. For a discreet outside the waist holster, I just ordered a U.S. High Ride from C. Rusty Sherrick Holsters. It rides very high and conceals really well. Rusty Sherrick told
me he carries the PM9 in that rig and it is his choice for carry. Also, ther holster is horsehide therefore more thin. When I get it in about 2 months
I'll write a review. I have researched it so I'm sure I'll be very satisfied.
While the PM9 is lighter than the P9 or the covert, it is also a bit snappier.
There is always a trade off. Your choice.

jetman
August 14, 2004, 10:59 AM
I rented several of the different Kahr's at my local range and settled on the PM9. A couple of the others were a little easier to shoot targets with, but I bouht the PM9 to carry due to it's lighter weight and shorter dimensions. It concealed (for me) better than the others, and I didn't buy it to be a range gun. I have a Wilson SDS for punching paper (winter carry), but bought this gun to CARRY daily regardless of weather.

mountainclmbr
August 14, 2004, 06:49 PM
I carry a MK40 in a Don Hume pocket holster every day. I prefer the extra weight for reliable feeding and don't feel it is too heavy for pocket carry. I just try it in the pocket of pants when I am trying them on before buying. With the newer high-end 9mm self defense ammo I would not feel uncomfortable with one of the Kahr 9's either.

August 15, 2004, 05:26 PM
I carry a PM9 in an Alessi Roughout Pocket Holster. The Alessi holster is a little smaller than the Milt Sparks pocket holster, for example, and I haven't had any problems carrying the PM9 in my right front pocket. When I am wearing pants with generous pockets (which for me is often because I am on the large size and my pockets are big), I use a mag with a Pearce finger extension. The PM9 is only three ounces heavier than the S&W Scandium snubbie, which I used to carry but sold to buy the PM9.

strambo
August 15, 2004, 08:56 PM
For mostly IWB carry I'd suggest the K9. I love mine, great gun. Pocket carry requires a pocket gun and that gun would be a poor IWB chioce IMO due to the severe sacrifice in handling qualities. Maybe someday I'll get a pocket gun, but I don't feel a real need for one.

Now if you have another primary carry gun already...that's a different story. If this is to be a primary carry gun, I'd suggest the K9/K40, P9/P40 or T series.

SHOOT1SAM
August 15, 2004, 09:07 PM
I carry the P40 Covert every day; in the warmer months as my primary, in the cooler as a BUG. I carry it in a KY-TAC pocket holster and often have to pat my pocket to remind myself it's there.

Texas Bob
August 15, 2004, 09:24 PM
How will you be packin? I own the P9, PM9, Rohrbaugh R9s, and several HK P7s. For pocket carry in 511 pants, the P9 rides in the right front pocket in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. When wearing Dockers, the PM9 in a RJ Hedley pocket holster is in the right front pocket. When wearing just jeans and a T-shirt, the R9s rides in another of RJ's holsters. Anytime I'm packin' on the waist, either IWB or OWB, I use a P7. You need to accessorize :)

XLMiguel
August 15, 2004, 10:06 PM
I have big hands, and yes, the full(?) sized grip on the P9 makes a difference for me. I carry it iwb at 4 O'clock of SOB, and it is very comfortable and very discrete. IMO, th PM9 is a pocket gun for 'up close and personal" or deep carry. YMMV

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr which one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!