H&K USP + Hogue Handall--warning.

PDA

JohnKSa
August 13, 2004, 01:03 AM
Just a warning to folks who have a Hogue Hand-All installed on their USP. It can slip up on the grip until the rubber gets under the edge of the mag release making it difficult or impossible to release the magazine.

If you enjoyed reading about "H&K USP + Hogue Handall--warning." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
stealthmode
August 13, 2004, 02:48 AM
thanks for the info i just got a handall for my usp 45 and 22/45 i can see what you are talking about binding the mag release. it works great on my 22/45 i really cant stand the feel of plastic grips thats why i got the handalls.

Chupacabra
August 13, 2004, 02:53 AM
I've had just the opposite happen on mine. I noticed that it tends to twist and slip down the grip slightly. But this was after about 200 rounds fired at the range and it took just a moment to readjust.

gbelleh
August 13, 2004, 10:34 AM
I had a Hogue grip on my USP .45 Compact for several months without it moving at all. But, it is a close fit and certainly could work its way under the mag release. It also might slip down and impede magazine insertion.

Hogue grips are easy to trim to fit better. You could just cut a little out from the area near the mag release and it shouldn't be a problem. I've had to trim them to fit properly on other guns.

mpthole
August 13, 2004, 10:45 AM
I had one on my USPc 9 for a while and found that it would slip down to the point of inhibiting the installation of a magazine. A little bit of the rubber would get stick out just enough to get caught on a fresh mag when slapping it into the mag well. Not good. I removed it shortly after this happened and don't use them at all anymore.

NMshooter
August 13, 2004, 02:40 PM
On the compacts you need to trim off the bottom 1/4" to 1/2" of the Handall to ensure it does not contact the magazine. If you are comfortable with the bare plastic you are better off. Plastic does not stick to clothing when you are trying to stay concealed.

Island Beretta
August 13, 2004, 05:24 PM
tried them twice and they kept slipping even with glue applied. Decided that they could endanger my life and so I stopped using them.

JohnKSa
August 13, 2004, 09:21 PM
Not trying to be alarmist--just something to keep an eye on. I noticed this with my wife's USP and thought others might want to be aware of the potential for trouble.

I left the Handall in place but slid it down a bit. From now on I'll check it every time I look at the gun. On this particular USP, it's only enough to make the mag release a bit harder to work, but on a different gun or if you get a handall that's a tiny bit thicker it could tie up the release completely.

mpthole
August 13, 2004, 11:30 PM
Not trying to be alarmist--just something to keep an eye on. Absolutely! To be fair, I should have said that I only had my problems when it was pretty warm out and I was doing a lot of gun handling since it was at a match.

A buddy of mine has one on his full-size USP .45 and absolutely swears by it. He has got huge hands. Its pretty much a range/nightstand gun, so he hasn't had any problems with the Hogue so far.

Jeff
August 14, 2004, 01:07 AM
I have a Handall on my full size USP .45. It was a bear to get on and it hasn't moved a millimeter in any direction since I've had it on, which has been over a year.

I love it.

fastbolt
August 14, 2004, 03:46 PM
If someone carries a handgun for protection ... and especially for a living ... you'd hope they'd be aware of any developing potential conditions that might adversely affect their pistol's functioning, or their ability to properly & safely use it ...

You'd hope ... but it doesn't always happen that way.

I've seen several folks using these devices, and who apparently didn't bother to inspect their pistols very often, if at all.

The same potential problems mentioned in this thread occurred with some of the pistols I inspected. The problems were discovered at the range DURING qualifications ...

Personally, I don't endorse them for defensive weapons whenever folks ask about them ... but it's just a personal choice.

Of course, to put things in another perspective ... I've seen far & away more functioning problems occur due to operator-related maintenance issues than just about anything else.

It's always something, and a little common sense and awareness goes a long way ...

mattf7184
August 14, 2004, 05:31 PM
Played with my dad's (mine if I can rescue the poor brand new gun that has been sitting in a safe for over 5 years and not shot :( ) today and took off the handall. Feels better without it anyways to me, plus this problem is another reason to not have it on, but the handall does not move at all due to the stippling when it was on.

JohnKSa
August 15, 2004, 12:08 AM
handall does not move at all due to the stippling hasn't moved a millimeter in any direction since I've had it on, which has been over a year. I recall it being difficult to install (over 10 years ago), but now I can slide it around without a lot of difficulty. It's not EASY to move, but it's not hard to move either. Could be the rubber's starting to relax a bit after a decade of use...

Like I said, it's not something I worry about--I just keep an eye on the grip to make sure it doesn't slide up too far. If it starts to happen often, I may buy a new Handall to install on the premise that this one is giving up.

If you enjoyed reading about "H&K USP + Hogue Handall--warning." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!