1911Tuner.... how about a STI rant?

PDA

NMGlocker
August 13, 2004, 08:40 PM
Hey 1911Tuner, how about a quick rant about STI pistols?
Specifically the Trojan 5.0.
http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Trojan5/images/Trojan2-1.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "1911Tuner.... how about a STI rant?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911Tuner
August 14, 2004, 08:13 AM
Howdy NMGlocker,

I can't rant about'em. Nobody in this area has one, and I'd never do a rant on just one example or problem unless the gun had a problem and was
returned for warranty repair and returned with the same old same....OR
it has a basic design flaw that could damage the gun or cause it to fail
at a critical moment.

Anything that's mass-produced is subject to have an issue to crop up once in a while. Nature of the beast. When a trend starts to emerge, it's
time to start looking toward a rant. I normally don't do it unless I see the same problem in 5 guns over the course of a year. I will accept an example on hearsay IF...the problem is part of a trend..AND...if the person reporting it is reputable and doesn't seem have an axe to grind with the company.

Later on!

Tuner

stans
August 14, 2004, 11:22 AM
Nice looking pistola. What's wrong with it? Other than it doesn't belong to me! Of course, you could send it to me and that problem would be cured.:D

farscott
August 14, 2004, 12:46 PM
The Trojan is an interesting pistol as it is the least expensive pistol in the STI line, it shares the small parts of the other STI pistols, and it is assembled by the same people who assemble the rest of the STI line. The frames are cast as can be seen by the mold markings, especially on the dust cover near the triggerguard. As a Trojan owner (both 5.0 and 6.0), I am aware of only three issues that are relatively common:

1) The magazine catch holds the magazine so high that the magazine lips sometimes strike the ejector. This issue also manifests itself in that some magazines cannot be used in the Trojan because the catch does not engage the slot in the magazine. These issues seem to be more common in the 9x19 and .40 pistols.

2) .45 slide stops sometimes get installed in 9x19 or .40 pistols, causing a failure to lock the slide back after the last round is fired. My 9x19 Trojan 5.0 was shipped with a .45 slide stop (as can be seen by the "45" in a circle stamped on the rear of the slide stop), but my pistol functions properly.

3) The STI adjustable rear sight is fragile and will break. This happened to me on my .40 S&W Trojan 6.0. STI sent me a replacement sight with no questions asked.

These are minor issues, and every Trojan I have ever examined and/or fired has exhibited excellent fit, function, and accuracy.

1911Tuner
August 14, 2004, 01:00 PM
farscott said:

) The magazine catch holds the magazine so high that the magazine lips sometimes strike the ejector.../ This issue also manifests itself in that some magazines cannot be used in the Trojan because the catch does not engage the slot in the magazine.

That issue is easy to correct with a Dremel with a thin cut-off wheel by
carefully adjusting the top edge of the magazine slot. Of course, that often
makes the modified magazine proprietary to that pistol...but it works. Use
the side of the wheel...not the edge.

The issue can occasionally be encountered with certain pistol/magazine
combos, and if you're gonna keep the magazine(s) with the pistol, it's
a quick-fix.

Luck!

Tuner

NMGlocker
August 14, 2004, 01:14 PM
I've been looking for a 1911 range pistol, and the Trojan 5 looks pretty nice.
I knew that if anyone knew of a chronic problem with them..... it'd be 1911Tuner.
I'll probably pick one up next month.
The STI LSA Lawman looks nice as well.
http://www.stiguns.com/guns/LSA/images/Lawman800w.jpg

NMshooter
August 14, 2004, 02:40 PM
If you want to try out a Kimber, let me know. Of course that would entail a trip to Albuquerque, which is a bit of a drive. STI makes a decent pistol, but they sure do charge for it.:)

Roc_Kor
August 14, 2004, 05:52 PM
The first 1911 I've shot was a Trojan. The only problem was that it had a problem cycling. It would eject the round but sometimes the slide wouldn't go all the way forward. My Dad thought it was the ammo, cause it looks like the brand we were using (Atlantic) was apparantly reloaded rounds. The guy behind the counter said it was the ammo, too. All in all good pistol.

NMGlocker
August 14, 2004, 06:34 PM
If you want to try out a Kimber, let me know. Of course that would entail a trip to Albuquerque, which is a bit of a drive. STI makes a decent pistol, but they sure do charge for it.
I used to own a Kimber Custom Compact.
Since I only plan on owning one 1911, I want to get the best I can afford, and the STI seems to be one of the better semi-custom factory 1911's out there.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
August 14, 2004, 07:21 PM
I looked at them about 4 years ago at K2 Sports in Richardson. Seemed to be exceptionally well made with a lot of attention to detail. If I were to buy a 1911 in the near future it'd certainly be on a very short list for consideration....ahead of a Kimber.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Marshall
August 14, 2004, 08:20 PM
Better looking than a Kimber too.

richard franklin
August 14, 2004, 09:01 PM
i have an sti 40sw trojan, sti competitor,sti lexor and a ls9 very nice pistols.

Marshall
August 14, 2004, 09:04 PM
i have an sti 40sw trojan, sti competitor,sti lexor and a ls9 very nice pistols.

Just curious, what order did you buy them in, first to last?

richard franklin
August 14, 2004, 09:59 PM
competitor,lexor,ls9,trojan hope this helps!

bountyhunter
August 17, 2004, 07:28 PM
As a Trojan owner (both 5.0 and 6.0), I am aware of only three issues that are relatively common:

1) The magazine catch holds the magazine so high that the magazine lips sometimes strike the ejector. This issue also manifests itself in that some magazines cannot be used in the Trojan because the catch does not engage the slot in the magazine. These issues seem to be more common in the 9x19 and .40 pistols. True. You can file the mag catch slot in the magazine shell to lower it about .015" in the frame or there are other mag catche available that will have the same net effect..

It is true the 9mm one will bump the corner of the ejector, I filed a tad off that corner. No problem now, that 9mm Trojan feeds mopre smoothely than any other 1911 I ever saw or shot.

The Trojan is an interesting pistol as it is the least expensive pistol in the STI line, it shares the small parts of the other STI pistols, and it is assembled by the same people who assemble the rest of the STI line. Good point. It is fitted as tight as their $1800 guns (like a Swiss watch).

2) .45 slide stops sometimes get installed in 9x19 or .40 pistols, causing a failure to lock the slide back after the last round is fired. My 9x19 Trojan 5.0 was shipped with a .45 slide stop (as can be seen by the "45" in a circle stamped on the rear of the slide stop), but my pistol functions properly.

Mine too. You just have to bend the little "foot" on the MecGar 9mm magazine followers out a tad to catch the .45 slide stop. The good thing is I have a .40 top end that goes right onto the same 9mm frame. Both 9mm and .40 top ends use the same slide stop, ejector, entire bottom end is interchangeable.

3) The STI adjustable rear sight is fragile and will break. This happened to me on my .40 S&W Trojan 6.0. STI sent me a replacement sight with no questions asked. The hinge pin will break regularly, because it is made of brittle steel. I got a bright steel finishing nail the same diameter and machined a center groove for the spring to set into. That steel is much tougher, it's a permanent fix to that problem.

These are minor issues, and every Trojan I have ever examined and/or fired has exhibited excellent fit, function, and accuracy. Amen. And the guys who work at STI will knock themselves out to fix a problem.

Anything that's mass-produced is subject to have an issue to crop up once in a while. Nature of the beast. When a trend starts to emerge, it's STI guns are not "mass made" in the sense of SA, Kimber, para, Colt, etc. A mass made gun has it's parts made to a range of tolerances and then the parts are thrown together with little or no fitting.... and slop between all critical fits. The only correct way to fit a 1911 is to start with oversized frame rails, slide rails, and barrel lugs then cut to fit. The frame is trued first, the slide is fitted to the frame, and the barrel to both. Bottom line: STI barrels are fitted with zero play at the lower barrel lugs (resting on the slide stop cross pin) and the upper lugs against the slide (as it should be). That gives no play in lockup. With 1911's, they are fitted one of two ways: the right way, and any other way.... or in this case: hand fit and mass production "fit".

jaysouth
August 17, 2004, 10:32 PM
I have a Trojan 5.0 in 9mm.

It came from Dawson Precision and had a reliablity package perfirmed my Mr. Dawson. He replaced the front sight with one of his brightly seen(Do not call it Hi-Viz, that's the competition) fiber optic sights and installed an Ed Brown strong side only thumb safety. It shoots like a house afire with absolutely no problems. It is very accurate and never bobbles.

I wish that it has as many metal parts as a Les Baer, and was as shiny, but my Les Baer PII will not outshoot the Trojan. It fuctions flawlessly with any magazine and any shape bullet.

My only issue with STI is not yet owning enought of them.

Obiwan
August 22, 2004, 08:57 PM
I have 2 5.0's

One in .45 and one in 9mm

They are excellent weapons

I bought the .45 used...and shot one ragged hole in my first target\

Ordered the 9mm from Dawson the next week.

I like my Kimber TLE/RLII a l;ot

But I LOVE my Trojans

No problems at all

C. H. Luke
August 23, 2004, 08:12 PM
The 5" .40 TJ I have had some teething problems but were taken care of quickly by STI.
Mine works well with Metaform mags & the OEM "high" release, however am LH and their button is not checkered so r/r'd it wih a Brown.

THey did not cut a relief angle on the sear so it's got som "roll" to it but the accuracy is there in spades.

Only real complaint is the crummy plastic MSH. Easily changed out with a Brown.

IMO, the Kimber, SA's, etc. have had don't compare and a great deal at a street $ of ca. $900.

only1asterisk
August 24, 2004, 12:28 AM
Overall, I'm very pleased with mine (.45 6.0 w/ramped bushingless bull barrel). It too had initial feeding trouble that was quickly taken care of by STI. Very accurate and a steal at $900. My frame has some places where there were voids in the casting including one in a frame rail that I was unhappy about, but STI made good.

Does everyone's Trojan have the serial number on the slide and barrel?

David

Lt. G
August 24, 2004, 01:08 AM
I've heard they make a 10mm , How is it? Also heard it might be a double stack mag? Which is fine,I've got big mitts. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "1911Tuner.... how about a STI rant?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!