Detonics guns?

PDA

Jiml3
August 14, 2004, 01:41 PM
I'm interested in getting info on these semi autos. It appears they went out of business in the late 80's. The guns look great but what was their reputation? Are they now just collectors items?
All info appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Detonics guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jeff-10
August 14, 2004, 01:47 PM
I believe they have reopened there doors recently under the management of Jerry Ahern. I think they are kind of pricey though.

http://www.detonicsusa.com/

NMshooter
August 14, 2004, 02:25 PM
Be very careful with these things, some are among the finest pistols I have ever shot, some were crap. I don't know what the current production models are like, could be decent, but I would hope that the tuner, or Mr. Sample, might have an opinion.

cratz2
August 14, 2004, 02:58 PM
I remember in the early to mid 80s, I thought the Scoremaster was the be all end all 1911.

But I've made it this long without one... :p

cerberus
August 14, 2004, 03:42 PM
It had a strange feeling hammer and the frame was a casting. I sold it and don't miss it. I would rather have my Kimber Ultra Carry II for a 3 inch carry 1911.

stans
August 14, 2004, 04:07 PM
I think most of the Detonics pistols were very good with a few that were very bad. Detonics did not make their own frames and slides and I think Essex made most of them. At the time, Essex had quality control problems of their own and therein lay the rub. Detonics is back in business and they will be producing their tiny compact 1911 again, but the price will be right around $1000.

Jiml3
August 15, 2004, 03:42 PM
Thanks to all that responded. The info you provided was very helpful and I am looking into it further. I see some ads some some that don't include the model number and most often what comes with it, # of mags, papers, etc. The prices are higher than expected and it appears the new ones are going to be in the $1,200.00 range. A bit pricey.

telewinz
August 15, 2004, 03:45 PM
some were crap. This is a very accurate satement. At the time they were unique because of their size. You would be better off to get a Star PD.

wally
August 15, 2004, 04:10 PM
Ahh.... Detonics, definitely a "cult" gun amoung gun writers of the 80's.

I see it very tough to make a comeback -- market is crowded and unless they can make 'em all "no MIM parts or castings" what would make them stand out amoung the Kimber & Springfield sub compacts which appears will remain priced a bit lower?

--wally.

FPrice
August 17, 2004, 11:42 AM
I lived in Washington State around the time the original Detonics were being made and had a few of them. They were definitely ahead of their time. IIRC they were some of the first mass-produced SS semi-autos.

The guns were good, but to me it appeared that they had a high number of problems, possibly due to being rushed sometimes in manufacturing. I was able to have a few of mine re-worked by the factory and they worked well after that.

I still own a Scoremaster that is a good shooter, but it is more of a safe queen right now than anything else.

If you enjoyed reading about "Detonics guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!