Good WWI movies ??

PDA

Silver Bullet
February 18, 2003, 02:51 PM
I'll bet few here have seen it, but my vote is for "Von Richthofen and Brown."

If you enjoyed reading about "Good WWI movies ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ledbetter
February 18, 2003, 02:53 PM
"Blue Max" with George Peppard and James Mason.

Kestryll
February 18, 2003, 03:08 PM
I'll bet few here have seen it, but my vote is for "Von Richthofen and Brown."

Okay, first off the opponent of Baron Manfred Von Ricthofen, the Red Baron, was not Brown. It was Snoopy, Charlie
Brown just brought his water dish!! :neener:

Actually a friend of mine was saying that Galipoli was a very good WWI movie, sad, but good.

Silver Bullet
February 18, 2003, 03:21 PM
You must be talking about Von Ricthofen, with only one 'h'. I'm talking about Von Richthofen, with two 'h's. :)

BigG
February 18, 2003, 03:25 PM
Paths of Glory
All Quiet on the Western Front
Sergeant York

ZekeLuvs1911
February 18, 2003, 03:26 PM
How about "The Lost Battalion?"

Steel
February 18, 2003, 03:30 PM
"Paths of Glory" (Stanley Kubrick film)...Kirk Douglas

"Sergeant York" (Howard Hawks film)...Gary Cooper

bobs1066
February 18, 2003, 05:23 PM
Stick with the old black & white version of 'All Quiet...'

The silent version of "Wings" is a wonderful movie.

Detritus
February 18, 2003, 05:26 PM
Johnny got His gun,

the story of the lead charater's life is told in flashbacks, the guy is an american soldier, who was unlucky enough to get hit by a shell, lose both arms at teh shoulder, both leg, and his face back to behind the ears!!!

basicly the kid is a brain with a life support systemn and nothing more. eventually he finds a away to beg for his own death.

the story of how he got to where he was and what happened in teh trenches was very good. teh book is even mroe graphic in detail fo certain parts.

too bad it's out of production (the tape that is)

Razor
February 18, 2003, 05:29 PM
Quite coincidently, I saw "The Lost Battalion" just last night. For a made for A&E movie, I was impressed. I thought I'd have a problem with Ricky Schroeder as the major, but he did a very good job.

thisaway
February 18, 2003, 05:41 PM
Two that haven't been mentioned yet:
ANZACS (starring Paul Hogan, of Crocodile Dundee fame)

The Lighthorsemen

And these previously mentioned:

Blue Max

All Quiet on the Western Front

The Lost Battalion

Gallipoli

Nightcrawler
February 18, 2003, 06:06 PM
I'd really like to see a modern, big budget Sergeant York movie, very well researched, with a great soundtrack and cinematography, ala We Were Soldiers. It could be the next classic if done right.

PlayTheAces
February 18, 2003, 07:21 PM
Chalk up another vote for the Blue Max. Great flying scenes. Another good one from the 1920's was Wings.

Ol' Badger
February 18, 2003, 07:40 PM
All Quiet on the Western Front is the best. Black and White all the way. I've read the book maybe 20 times. Kat's the best charactor in the book and the good ol' boy dies :( I went and made myself sad again.

hjrocket
February 18, 2003, 11:05 PM
"DAWN PATROL" w/ Errol Flynn and David Niven--made about 19 years after WW I so they were able to use actual WW I aircraft. Great airwork!!!!!!!;)

Azrael256
February 19, 2003, 01:23 AM
I second, third, and fourth "Blue Max." It's one of my favorite movies. It may have been the first war flick I saw.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good WWI movies ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!