What will 10 rd mags be worth after AWB expires?

PDA

mountainclmbr
August 15, 2004, 02:20 PM
I have a 10 rd mag for a Glock 19. After (wishful thinking?) the AWB expires I will get some normal capacity mags and get rid of the 10 rd mag. Will they be worth anything?

If you enjoyed reading about "What will 10 rd mags be worth after AWB expires?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lunde
August 15, 2004, 03:02 PM
They're worth something to those who live in states that effected their own ban, like California.

countertop
August 15, 2004, 03:23 PM
and Jersey.

I think you can pick them up now for $20 bucks or so. I'd image the price might drop to $10 - 15. They are still pretty good mags, even if they hold less.

I'm certainly not selling mine.

Badger Arms
August 15, 2004, 03:34 PM
I'm thinking that Ebay will be selling them for $5 or so when high-caps become available again. How much will you pay for a 5 round AK magazine?

countertop
August 15, 2004, 03:39 PM
I have one 5 round AK mag that came with my SAR 1 (along with two 40 rounders!!!!).

The 5 rounder actually has some value for me when I fire it from a bench rest - for sight in or othe purposes - because the 40 and 30 rounders are just too dam long.

Actually, maybe what i really need to get is one of them 100 round drums.

Take that Di-FI
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:neener:

wally
August 15, 2004, 04:18 PM
I took most of my 5-round AK mags and cut the base of the follower -- its the same as for the 30 round mags and thus has room for a much longer spring. Doing this made them 10 round mags which are very nice when shooting from a rest or prone. Easy to refill from stripper clips with one of those guide dodads.

--wally.

Tamara
August 15, 2004, 04:58 PM
How much will you pay for a 5 round AK magazine?

That would probably depend on whether you hunt with your AK in states with a 5-rd limit or not. :)

jc2
August 15, 2004, 05:06 PM
Frankly, I usually prefer the ten-rounders for the range, just playing around, etc. I doubt if I'll buy any new ones, but I'll probably hold on to the ones I have.

From what I'm hearing, it will be four to six months before we start seeing any new standard capacity magazines in meaningful numbers (not counting the current LE/Govt magas).

countertop
August 15, 2004, 05:12 PM
From what I'm hearing, it will be four to six months before we start seeing any new standard capacity magazines in meaningful numbers (not counting the current LE/Govt magas)

That surprises me and sounds like the usual gun store/gun show dealer bs to try and get someone to purchase a 10 rounder today as opposed to coming back on September 14th.

My somewhat educated guess is that people are cranking these things out now and just holding onto them untilt he 13th arrives. I would be shocked if the stores werren't flooded with them on the 13th/14th.

hillbilly
August 15, 2004, 05:21 PM
Standard capacity mags are already being produced by the truckload.

They have been for the entire decade of the stupid AWB.

Only they've had "LEO or Military Use ONLY" stamped on them.

All magazine makers have to do is crank up their production and keep stamping the stupide "LEO or Military Use ONLY" on them, because come Sept. 14, that stamp will have no meaning whatsoever.

We won't have to wait for a couple of months for standard capacity mags, because they've been made all the way through the ban anyway.

hillbilly

gunsmith
August 15, 2004, 06:54 PM
them with LEO only cause that would jam up all
the PRK gunnies who shop in NV.

Not that I personally know anyone that would do that of course.

telewinz
August 15, 2004, 07:30 PM
the AWB expires I will get some normal capacity mags and get rid of the 10 rd mag. Will they be worth anything? How much is a pound of aluminum going for?:D

chevrofreak
August 15, 2004, 09:21 PM
10rd mags are going to be worth less in states without restrictions, but, they will still be useful for certain classes of pistol shooting.

MR.G
August 15, 2004, 11:20 PM
Can anything be done to the S&W 59 style 10 round magazines to make them into 15 round? Looks like the spring could be changed fo the full size one without any problem. Maby file the two pressed in spots on the sides? The follower is the same.

mountainclmbr
August 17, 2004, 12:45 AM
I could keep the 10 rd mag, but it will do nothing to verify reliability for what I would carry. I just don't see the need when I can have almost twice the rounds in the same size.

TheOtherOne
August 17, 2004, 06:11 AM
stupid "LEO or Military Use ONLY" on them, because come Sept. 14, that stamp will have no meaning whatsoever.Legally, that is true but there is guaranteed to be some stores that will still refuse to sell them to non-LEO. I had a place that wouldn't let me buy CHOKE brand buckshot because it said "Law Enforcement Ammunition" on the box.

Kamicosmos
August 17, 2004, 12:30 PM
It's also about supply and demand:

I would be shocked if the stores werren't flooded with them on the 13th/14th.

Why? I bet for a couple months you're going to see outrageously priced HiCap mags..."Everyone wants the Hi (Normal/whatever) Cap mags now...there's a Nationwide Shortage!!"
Sure, the mags may be there already, doesn't mean store owners are going to sell them to us at bargin prices...why would they?

In fact, I would be surprised if there isn't price gouging on 10 round (low cap) mags after the ban...what with the rush of everyone going nuts trying to put supressors on their recently converted to full auto AK 100 round drum project... :rolleyes:

ATF is going to have a heyday after it sunsets...but that's a whole 'nother thread.

cxm
August 18, 2004, 12:12 PM
In states that have their own bans, the 10 rd. mags will probably get more expensive... and be in sort supply given that they will have to be made is small runs.

Save your 10 rd. mags... you may wind up recovering what you paid for the Hi Caps during the ban by selling your lo caps to states with locan bans.

FWIW

Chuck

NEtracker
August 18, 2004, 12:33 PM
No Ban Expiration in Mass! 10 rounders will still be in-demand here, as will pre-bans, at premium prices.

Quiz: What Senator from MA is running for the office in Wash.? The same guy who voted for every firearm restriction here, and will do the same at the Federal level...
Remember, we cannot buy new Glocks here, or many other newly manufactured pistols.

Campusninja
August 18, 2004, 09:54 PM
Practice with your 10 round mags, preserve your standard capacity mags.
my .02 cents

Grayrider
August 19, 2004, 10:02 AM
Also keep a few to throw in with guns you sell. I almost never include full caps with used guns. Much better to sell them separately or keep in case you buy another gun that takes them. Of course that has led to an accumulation of mags I don't really need...

GR

akanotken
August 20, 2004, 07:16 PM
Mags will still be usefull in some competitions such as IDPA. Had a long discussion about this on another board, and I doubt that they will change the mag capacity limitations (and I don't disagree at all, it levels the playing field). I don't like using std cap magazines there, as it is too easy to load 11 or 12 by mistake. Those infractions cost you penalty time :(

NEtracker wrote:
10 rounders will still be in-demand here, as will pre-bans, at premium prices.

I feel your pain. But soon, when mag manufactures are not required to print LEO on their std capacity mags, how will anyone know what is "pre-ban"?

I'm hoping that they don't go to stamping the manufacture date or something equally stupit!

Zundfolge
August 20, 2004, 07:19 PM
After the ban ends I'll be refering to my 10 round magazines as my IDPA magazines :neener:

Maybe the'll be worth more then :scrutiny:

SouthpawShootr
August 20, 2004, 07:29 PM
Will they be worth anything?

NO

After the ban ends I'll be refering to my 10 round magazines as my IDPA magazines

It was my impression that this IDPA rule came about so that people who couldn't afford the escalating prices of full-cap mags wouldn't be placed at a disadvantage in competition. Am I wrong?

Zundfolge
August 20, 2004, 07:45 PM
SouthpawShootr, I think that was part of it ... I think the idea is also that guns used for IDPA are to be "Bone stock, off the shelf" guns.

But I believe its a good idea for IDPA to continue limiting guns to 10 round magazines just for the sake of a level playing field.

faustulus
August 20, 2004, 08:42 PM
It was my impression that this IDPA rule came about so that people who couldn't afford the escalating prices of full-cap mags wouldn't be placed at a disadvantage in competition. Am I wrong?
Yes, it was another stupid rule Bill Wilson pulled out of the air. (kind of like the 10m not being allowed in CDP)

Grayrider,
I would tend to think after the ban a gun with a 10-round mag would be worth as much as a gun with no mags. but I could be wrong.

mrapathy2000
August 20, 2004, 10:27 PM
5 and 10 round ak magazines will still hold value. why because of states laws. not all states let you use a 7.62x39 rifle to hunt and those that do probably want you using 5 or 10 round magazine for PC or because its the law.

maybe they will go down in price doubt it will be much. all ak mags about $10-$15 5,10,30,40 round magazine.

Ky Larry
August 21, 2004, 01:04 AM
If the price of 10 rounder's drops, I'll try to get several for each gun I own. If the government can ban standard cap mags for 10 years, they may someday ban all new mag production. I can use them for range mags and save my standard cap mags for carry.

If you enjoyed reading about "What will 10 rd mags be worth after AWB expires?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!