Is Hollywood preempting anti-terrorist work ?

PDA

Silver Bullet
August 15, 2004, 07:22 PM
I was playing a video last night, and this message popped up:

FBI Warning. Federal law provides severe civil and criminal penalties for the unauthorized reproduction, distribution, or exhibition of copyrighted motion pictures, video tapes, or video discs.

Criminal copyright infringement is investigated by the FBI and may constitute a felony with a maximum penalty of up to five years in prison and/or a $250,000 fine.

We've all seen something similar every time we use our vcr or dvd to play a movie. My question is, why is the FBI spending resources on nailing somebody for copying a movie instead of using those same resources to pursue terrorists ? Is this why we have an F.B.I. ? How did Hollywood get so influential as to impose this travesty of priorities ? Or does this apply to all copyrighted materials ?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is Hollywood preempting anti-terrorist work ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Treylis
August 15, 2004, 07:44 PM
"The VCR is to the American film producer and the American public as the Boston Strangler is to the woman alone."
--Jack Valenti, MPAA, trying to get VCRs banned way back when

RJ357
August 15, 2004, 08:04 PM
I don't think they spend very much time on it. It seems that copyright infringements get handled in civil courts far more than criminal courts.

It is simply in their jurisdiction.

El Tejon
August 15, 2004, 08:15 PM
FWIW, the USA's civil side does most of the enforcing in the form of injunctions from what I've seen.

Zundfolge
August 15, 2004, 08:29 PM
My question is, why is the FBI spending resources on nailing somebody for copying a movie instead of using those same resources to pursue terrorists ?

Nice Non-Sequitur ... the department of the FBI in charge of "nailing somebody for copying a movie" is not the same department of the FBI in charge of pursuing terrorists (and I suspect the personell in the copyright violations department have zero training in dealing with terrorism).

The job of the FBI is to investigate violations of ALL federal laws ... not just "hunt terrorists".

As a professional graphic designer, I'm glad there's a division of the FBI out there to hunt down people who steal my work.

Silver Bullet
August 15, 2004, 09:16 PM
the department of the FBI in charge of "nailing somebody for copying a movie" is not the same department of the FBI in charge of pursuing terrorists
That's a good answer ... thanks !

Actually, I was being somewhat facetious, which I tried to convey with my [rant]s.

But, every time I see that message pop up at the beginning of the video, I think about terrorist infiltration and an undermanned FBI trying to track them all.

sendec
August 15, 2004, 10:32 PM
Given the choice between working duped videos and wearing a cool windbreaker at a major incident, which do you think the typical agent wants?;)

Though if you check into it the movie/music/entertainment industry loses beaucoup bucks due to piracy, primarily from overseas/Asia. I would'nt trust industry figures for half a heartbeat, but I am confident they have found ways for us to pay for their losses.

Some of Hollywood's work should be considered acts of terrorism - during the last couple movies I watched I was praying for a quick death.

Zundfolge
August 15, 2004, 10:40 PM
Actually, I was being somewhat facetious, which I tried to convey with my [rant]s.

Ah ... okay, I missed the tone ... use one of these next time :evil: or :neener: ... really underlines the sarcasm well :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Is Hollywood preempting anti-terrorist work ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!