1st time to the range

PDA

RCReecer
February 18, 2003, 06:31 PM
I got the urge to do some shooting, so I headed out to the range today. Rented a full sized Colt 1911. Nothing fancy by any means. Bought a box of ammo and relieved some stress. I've been trying to decide between a 1911 and a Witness 10mm. Unfortunately, this range didn't have a Witness available. I think I did OK for my first time out and w/o instruction. Also first time shooting a .45. I've shot a few 9mms and 357sig in the past, so I had an idea of the basics. Anyone know where I can go to try a 10mm (other than a Block....err Glock) in the Atlanta area?
Thanks,
R. Cain Reecerhttp://pics.montypics.com/creecer/2003-02-18/target-032559.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "1st time to the range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blades67
February 18, 2003, 06:40 PM
Why don't you want to try a Glock 20? If you haven't tried one you don't know what you're missing.

MitchSchaft
February 18, 2003, 07:44 PM
Good shootin'. Looks better than me:neener:.
Good luck with a new 1911, you'll love it!

RCReecer
February 18, 2003, 07:45 PM
I've shot a couple of Glocks in the past and didn't really like them. The grip was a little wide for my liking and I didn't care much for the trigger. I've also shot a CZ 75b, and that felt really good. Since the Witness is a CZ clone, I figure it would probably be just as comfortable. Plus I like the idea of being able to carry it cocked and locked.

RCReecer
February 18, 2003, 07:50 PM
Thanks Mitch. I really liked the 1911, and also figured out why night sites are so nice. I had a hard time getting on target with the standard sites. I'll probably go with a new roll mark Colt if I get a 1911.

MitchSchaft
February 18, 2003, 07:56 PM
Here's my Colt. I likes it a lot.
http://home.midsouth.rr.com/schaftlfam/pics/Misc/defndr.JPG

dinosaur
February 18, 2003, 07:59 PM
That`s pretty decent shooting with an "in house" gun. As long as you`re renting, might as well try em all.

RCReecer
February 18, 2003, 08:10 PM
Hey Mitch, I almost shot a defender. They had one that looked like yours - was there on consignment. I wasn't sure if I'd like the .45, so I avoided the smaller pistol. I've got that same S&W knife too. I use it as my general "utility" knife.

I was able to squeeze off a magazine full from a full-sized USP .45 today too (on the house). I really liked the weight, sights, and decocker, but after one magazine I'd had enough of the grip. Guess I'm kind of an anti-poly guy. The grip itself wasn't bad, but the checkered front strap was uncomfortable.

twoblink
February 18, 2003, 08:52 PM
If you are shooting without instructions, I highly recommend you STOP, and get some! First, learn the basic safety commandments, and Second, learn how a gun works, when it's safe, and when it's not.

Safety aside, I can telll you, I love to teach people who have no shooting background, and are a clean slate. That way, you can teach them good habits and they only know good habits. If you start teaching yourself (wrongly) then you might end up with bad habits that are all but impossible to correct..

Trust me, correcting bad shooting habits is not something you want to do!

Also, next time, rent a .22LR to start. But the machoman stuff aside, and learn on a gun that has no recoil. You won't induce a flinch.

That said, ask the guy at the counter "Are there anybody that is currently shooting that you think would be willing to teach me the correct way to handle and gun and shoot?" I'll bet they'll point you to an old-timer who is always willing to help.

People at the range are the friendliest people I've ever met.

PerfectGlock
February 18, 2003, 09:06 PM
Welcome to the dark side:evil:

Don't mean to discourage you, but you will see your amount of disposable income slowly diminish:D.

I realized this was happening to me, but I didn't mind. It's like having to go to the hospital and deal with their food, but get taken care of by a cute nurse :p .

Good shooting! It's better than I can do, even after 5 years of erratic, monthly to tri-annual practice.

And, as twoblink said, GET SOME INSTRUCTION! Read safety manuals, do research on the internet. It's a lot better than blowing a hole in somebody on accident.

And, as always, Have fun!

Kahr carrier
February 18, 2003, 09:25 PM
Good shooting for your first time out ,nice grouping 5oclock by the X.:D

RCReecer
February 18, 2003, 09:52 PM
Two, I appreciate your concern. As stated in my first post, this was not my first shooting excursion, just my first time to a range . I've had some proper pistol instruction, and rest assured I plan to get more before considering CCW. Also, the commandments of gun safety were instilled upon me some 13 years or so ago. I am an avid shooter of long weapons as it is. After a day of shooting an old single shot 10 gauge, I had the flinch beat out of me :) . True, I could have rented a 22lr this go round, but I find that it wouldn't gain me much. My goal today was to sample the recoil of the 45acp, and specifically the 1911 style. I did think enough ahead to have the eployee at the counter go over the manual of arms of the 1911, and to make sure that I could load/unload/clear a jam correctly. I had actually planned on watching more today than shooting, but I was the only person there.

Overall, I like the 45. It was very manageable in the full sized Colt. I wouldn't want my wife to shoot one right away. She and I have planned to take some NRA classes as soon as they are available. Probably going to start with the range instructor, then move on to something a little more in depth. I understand that David Blinder here in ATL does a wonderful job.

Oh, and PG. There isn't much more to find on the internet on the 1911 than the wonderful folks over at 1911forum.com can provide. Excellent information - I've been lurking, reading, and learning there since November.

I appreciate all of the comments folks. Thanks for the time.
RCR

PerfectGlock
February 18, 2003, 10:31 PM
I've been lurking, reading, and learning there for 3 years. I still haven't got the balls to register, especially with a name like PerfectGLOCK:what: .

RCReecer
February 18, 2003, 10:38 PM
LOL. Good group of folks over there too. I found them the same way I was led to The High Road - via TFL.

Just leave off the Glock part, and use the name perfect. I bet that'll go over real well too! :what:

coonan357
February 18, 2003, 10:47 PM
RC , Looks good to me actually looks like that guys gonna have a sucking chestwound problem ..:neener:

twoblink
February 19, 2003, 02:19 AM
RC,

;)

Just wanted to make sure we keep you on the board a long time, shoot often, shoot safe, and group well my friend!

rick458
February 19, 2003, 04:38 AM
Try to find a Colt Delta Elite 1911 platform AND 10MM

WhoKnowsWho
February 19, 2003, 04:59 AM
Are you a RC Car driver? Or am I reading too much in your user name?

Good luck finding a witness to rent, with how inexpensive they seem to be, people probably just buy them outright! Try a gunshow or other shops to at least possibly hold it in your hand. Who knows, it might not even feel right.

Have gun! I mean fun!

RCReecer
February 19, 2003, 12:40 PM
Thanks Two!

Rich,
I'd love to test fire a Delta Elite, but they are currently out of my price range. Trying to buy cheap and shoot a lot. Buying a DE would eliminate most of my ammo money, not to mention a carry rig.

WKW, you are reading too much into it. R and C are my first two initials, and Reecer is my last name. Creative, isn't it? I usually go by the screen name Trigger on the 4x4 bulletin boards I visit, but try using that name on a gun board...

If you enjoyed reading about "1st time to the range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!