Looking for an anemic .45 load

PDA

Et Spiritus Sancti
August 15, 2004, 11:55 PM
What would everyone suggest for as low powered of a mix as you can get in .45, but still enough to cycle and operate a Glock 21?

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for an anemic .45 load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PinnedAndRecessed
August 16, 2004, 12:34 AM
I have a Mark 4/Series 70 Colt with heavy duty recoil spring and use the following loads:

200 grain SWC bullet; 5.5 grains Unique; CCI 300; mv=765 f/s.

halvey
August 16, 2004, 08:44 AM
Depends. How old are the springs? Is the slide exactly in spec was far as weight?

Try 3.5 Bullseye under a 185 gr SWC. I've heard of people going down to 3.0.

The 3.5 above cycles in my Kimber with an 18 lb spring.

Quantrill
August 16, 2004, 10:52 AM
I assume you are talking a 185-100gr bullet here. 3.5gr of 700X functions my Series 70 Gold Cup. Quantrill

Et Spiritus Sancti
August 16, 2004, 11:56 AM
Probably around a year old or so. Never really heard of a Glock slide out of spec...I haven't thrown it against a wall or anything if that's what you mean. I cannot used lead due to the barrel style, but wouldn't a 230 function with less recoil, or did I read wrong?

halvey
August 16, 2004, 12:02 PM
Guns typically are heavier of lighter than listed. So therefore the slide could be heavier or lighter. Point is, what works in your gun may not work in your buddys.

but wouldn't a 230 function with less recoil, if I'm reading your question right, no, a 230 all else being equal, will have more recoil than the exact same load in say 185. More of the bullet is in the case causing a higher pressure, causing more recoil.

So for the lightest loads, use light bullets and a light dose of powder. Start at the bottom and work down by .2 grs.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for an anemic .45 load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!