Steel plus MIG =

PDA

Darkside
August 16, 2004, 04:41 AM
Some steel slapping fun. This is what you get when I go nuts with some ar400 steel plate, some cold rolled and a MIG welder.

Pic of my colapsable three swinging plate stand.

Darkside

If you enjoyed reading about "Steel plus MIG =" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Darkside
August 16, 2004, 04:48 AM
And a pic of my Free standing $10 Steel/mudflap target frame. This pic is with a steel plate.

Darkside

Darkside
August 16, 2004, 04:54 AM
Freestanding Mudflap target pic. BTW the mudflap was found on the road(thank you to some trucker out there.) The mudflap works fine for rifle bullets with pointed tips, but flat nose .45 pistol bullets leave a .22 cal hole. I will use a peice of plastic cardboard in place of the mudflap when doing a lot of work with pistols. The shoot-n-see targets work great on the mudflap.

Darkside

Daedalus
August 16, 2004, 07:36 AM
Cool stuff!

So the mudflap is kind o like a self-healing backboard for targets huh? Thats a cool idea.

Darkside
August 16, 2004, 08:12 AM
The Rubber mudflap works fine for pointed rifle bullets, they hardly even leave a mark. I am looking for a thicker one. The mudflap I found is about 1/4" thick, gotta watch those staples comming through:D ouch.

Darkside

atek3
August 16, 2004, 03:08 PM
make sure people are decent shots. Every hanging chain target I've seen has been severed by rifle rounds in less than an afternoon :)

atek3

Darkside
August 17, 2004, 12:58 AM
Atek3, I have added a quick link to each for just such problems, Thanks.

Another thing I have done, I saved the strip of mudflap that I cut off the sides to make it fit. Thought about poking holes in each end of the strip and hang the plates from them.

Darkside

Das Pferd
August 17, 2004, 01:36 AM
Did you use a plasma to cut the target?

Darkside
August 17, 2004, 03:52 AM
One of the local metal shops cut the ar400 with a plasma. They will do custom cutting for about $50 an hour. I did notice that one of the plates must not have cooled while cutting, it seams to be a little soft around the edges.

Darkside

Night Guy
August 17, 2004, 03:59 AM
Why not make a chain guard by cutting some bar stock to length, drilling a couple holes in each end and lashing it on over the chain with some twine? Sure, you may still sever the twine, but it's much cheaper to replace than the chain. Just an idea.

geekWithA.45
August 17, 2004, 08:30 AM
That must be one tough rosebush if you use it as a backstop. :neener:

ID_shooting
August 17, 2004, 09:24 AM
WOW great ideas...

I have been using an old abandond real estate sign I picked up out of the dump. It works OK, but I have a friend who is alittle "loose" with his 45 ACP and I have to constantly pound it back into shape.

How much do you guys have invested? Where does one find a big mudflap besides the freeway or truckstop parking lots?

TheOtherOne
August 17, 2004, 12:40 PM
What exactly is ar400? I don't know much about steel. Can it hold up to rifle rounds?

Oh, and what do you all think about using titanium for a plate? Would something like this be a nice gong for say a .50 caliber rifle?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3828238071

Not that I'm about to pay $476 for a target, but just curious. :)

Where does one find a big mudflap besides the freeway or truckstop parking lots?The store at the truckstop parking lot. :D I've seen them in the isles of gas stations that are accessible to big trucks.

strambo
August 17, 2004, 07:39 PM
The benefit of Titanium is it is almost as strong as steel and a lot lighter. Using it as a target would be a big waste of $$$ since steel is way cheaper and weight don't matter.

TheOtherOne
August 17, 2004, 08:31 PM
The benefit of Titanium is it is almost as strong as steel and a lot lighterI always thought it was alot stronger than steel. Shows you how much I know. :)

sumpnz
August 17, 2004, 08:55 PM
Titanium is superior to steel in some high-temperature applications. Mostly it's a benifit where you need a metal that is stronger than aluminum but lighter than steel. When really high strength is needed, there's not much better than steel. Carbon fiber is much stiffer than steel, and is also stronger and lighter if used correctly, but it's hella $pendy and QC can be very problematic.

For shooting targets, use whatever metal is cheapest and easist to work with. That will generally mean steel.

simmonsguns
August 17, 2004, 09:39 PM
ar400 what we use for our shooting tunnel back stop and pit,it is used around here by our local trash company as the beds for there trash and dump trucks.the guys behind our shop helped rebuild our tunnel and do the work for the major area trash guys.

Darkside
August 18, 2004, 08:46 AM
What I have been told is the "AR" stands for abraision resistant and "400" is the hardness rating on te brinnel scale. Iwas wanting AR500 but wasn't able to get any. The metal shop gave me one heck of a deal on this piece.

The 5/8" plates will get little(1/16") craters from .223 FMJ at 25 yards. I don't plan on using FMJ at this distance all the time it was only a test. I will try some Soft points and see what happens.

I thought about chainguards but for that to work against rifle rounds the guards need to be made out of hardened metal. I cant afford it right now.:(

As for big rifle rounds I have some 1" ar400 plate hanging at 175 yards and my 300 Wby just knocks the paint off them. I wouldn't think of shooting them at 25-50 yards, ther just isn't any reason to. The rifle that has done the most damage(1/16" craters) to that plate is, are you holding on, the .17 Remington. After doing some research I have found that the reason is because the area of impact is smaller and the heat i consentrated in such a small area.

Darkside

sch40
August 18, 2004, 01:04 PM
Very cool.
That must be one tough rosebush if you use it as a backstop.
My aunt has one like that :uhoh:

Darkside
August 18, 2004, 02:32 PM
That Rose of sharron bush should be bullet proof as much as I mangled it last fall trimming it. :D Like the Energizer bunny it keeps going and going. Good thing since I kill just about every other plant we have.:D

Darkside

If you enjoyed reading about "Steel plus MIG =" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!