Opinions on 9mm pistols

PDA

MLC
August 16, 2004, 01:17 PM
I'm in the market for a 9mm pistol.
My first was a SIG 228 which I traded for a HK P7M8.
I'm selling the P7 (for several reasons, none of which are the fault of the pistol) and plan to replace it with one of three other 9mm's.
What I want is a metal framed, conventional DA/SA or SA, accurate pistol.
The poll is obviously what I've narrowed it down to, input from users of the aforementioned would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on 9mm pistols" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ala Dan
August 16, 2004, 01:40 PM
Hello! You stated that you traded your SIG-SAUER P228 for a P7.
Can I ask why? Grant it, the P7 is an excellent weapon in its own
right; but I could never trade off my 1990 West German P228.
The P228 9m/m is one of the better balanced semi-auto's on
the market.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

nero45acp
August 16, 2004, 01:51 PM
All three are excellent 9mm's. I would choose what fits your hand best. I'm biased towards the SIG's because of their uber reliability.

nero

BigG
August 16, 2004, 01:52 PM
Of the three, I would recommend the SIG Sauer P226.

Skunkabilly
August 16, 2004, 01:53 PM
All are good; personal preferences would have me get the CZ and putting new sights on it.

ChuckB
August 16, 2004, 02:09 PM
You can't consider a list of DA/SA 9's without including the Beretta 92 series. I have the 92FS, and it's as smooth, accurate, and dependable a 9X19 as I've used. Having also shot a 226 a bit, I'd say that you wouldn't go wrong with that one, either. Actually, the whole group- including the Beretta- is a good one.

Chuck

dairycreek
August 16, 2004, 02:22 PM
I could not possibly say which is the best. I have owned and shot all three and my purely personal preference is (great alliteration) the CZ. Good shooting;)

Jim Watson
August 16, 2004, 02:30 PM
Cooper's Embarassing Question:
What is it FOR?

P228 and P7 are both pretty darned good sidearms. So are the ones you want a bunch of strangers to opine on.
You can buy different, I don't know if you can buy better.

farscott
August 16, 2004, 02:30 PM
Without knowing your intended use and what about the P7 and P228 did not work for you, it is hard to make a suggestion. You mentioned accuracy, so the SIG P210 and the 1911 should merit some consideration. I would also look at the S&W M952.

Todesengel
August 16, 2004, 02:38 PM
Walther P99

Flashpoint
August 16, 2004, 02:41 PM
GET A HIGHPOINT!!!!

Just kiddin':D

Personaly I would find a CZ and a Sig that I could compare at the same time and then get the one that fit best.

Good luck

Dorrin79
August 16, 2004, 03:04 PM
Personally I like the balance and recoil characteristics of the Browning the best - but the other two are excellent weapons in their own right.

CZ is probably the best value unless you find a good deal (like I did :neener: ) on a BHP.

Rival
August 16, 2004, 03:13 PM
Having shot from a lot of different 9mm - including the ones listed, I personally like CZ-75B and Browning over any other model of full-size 9mm.

Recently I had to choose between Browning and CZ-75B to get my own 9mm - and I decided to purchase Browning Hi Power. Browning has more potential, you can custom build an uber 9mm should you decide to upgrade it. But even bone stock BHP compares quite nicely to CZ-75B. I don't regret that I spend more money on Browning - it is well worth it. I like the trigger on BHP better, and I like the simpler mechanics in the BHP when compared to CZ.

Here's the picture I took when I was comparing my own BHP and my friend's CZ-75B:
http://bodya.com/albums/range/BHP_CZ75B.jpg

HankB
August 16, 2004, 03:39 PM
All are quality guns, so it's kind of like picking shoes - the pistol that fits YOU will not necessarily fit ME as well.

Personally, I like the BHP. Limiting my comparison to the other two pistols listed, well, the BHP "points" where it should in my hand, the SIG doesn't come close. The BHP seems to be finished a bit nicer than the CZ, and the thumb safety is perfectly located for me . . . the one on the CZ is just a tad too far forward.

My choices would be BHP first, CZ a close second, SIG a distant third.

Marshall
August 16, 2004, 04:02 PM
FN or BHP

One of the nicest 9mm made. Depending on magazine, you can really load them up and still have the grip feel from heaven.

Werewolf
August 16, 2004, 04:43 PM
I own 2 CZ's and one SIG.

If money is an object then without a doubt the CZ is the ticket.

HELL! Even if money isn't an object I'd still recommend the CZ. The SIG has better fit and finish but it is IMO less accurate than the CZ and no more reliable. Both my CZ's just feel better and shoot better for me than the SIG (though the SIG feels and shoots pretty darn good too). The SIG is definitely not worth the $300 more you will pay for it IMO.

Don't get me wrong the Sig is a fine weapon (it's my carry piece) but I got it first. If I'd gotten my CZ's first it's doubtful I'd have bothered with the SIG (though I may get a 226 in .40 at some point in the future).

That's my story and I'm stick'n to it...

Akurat
August 16, 2004, 04:51 PM
You can't go wrong with anything on that list, even though Beretta deserves a closer look as well. ;)

Calhoun
August 16, 2004, 05:16 PM
All of these are great pistols, but I got to go with the CZ. Find out what fits you the best and go with it.

Calhoun

denfoote
August 16, 2004, 05:25 PM
Experience demands that I pick the BHP!!!
Mine, a vintage MK-I from 1986, has been flawless!! :D

Skunkabilly
August 16, 2004, 07:37 PM
Dude, how could i have missed the opportunity?

Get the Glock!

cratz2
August 16, 2004, 07:47 PM
If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I would have a CZ75B SA as my dedicated range 9mm. The triggers are generally very good but for another $125 or so, can be made to be about as good as a non-1911, non-revolver trigger can be expected to be.

The BHP is right there, but it costs more, still won't have as good of a trigger and I don't find the ergonomics quite as good as the CZ. But you have a longer and more storried history.

I'd be happy with either, but for my money, would get the CZ. Or a 9mm Springfield Loaded Stainless with some good mags.

Jeff Timm
August 16, 2004, 07:54 PM
OK,

I admit I voted Browning. But, have you considered size?

The 9x19 is a rather small round, why not try a sidearm in scale? SIG 239 or SIG 225 comes to mind.

Geoff
Who does tend toward smaller sidearms, just ignore the M1911s and Superblackhawk in my gun box. :cool:

Rival
August 16, 2004, 08:01 PM
The BHP is right there, but it costs more, still won't have as good of a trigger and I don't find the ergonomics quite as good as the CZ. But you have a longer and more storried history.
You have got to be kidding me. Trigger on CZ can never be made as sweet as trigger on BHP. Out of the box CZ-75 single action pull might be better than that of BHP. 300 rounds later BHP trigger becomes better than that of CZ-75. And if you take both to the smith - there's no question about it, BHP is a clear winner, they can have amazing triggers!

As far as ergonomics - they have similar feel and recoil signature, however the safety lever and slide release are positioned much better on BHP.

Greg Bell
August 16, 2004, 08:09 PM
If you absolutely must get rid of the P7 then the next step down is the SIG (the other two are little league).

Black Majik
August 16, 2004, 08:31 PM
Sig Sauer P226.

My opinion of course, but it has the best trigger feel of the 3. The ergo on the Sig also is better suited for me.

tc300mag1
August 16, 2004, 08:54 PM
Any of the Sig or the HK's

Rich357
August 16, 2004, 09:01 PM
Les Baer 1911 PPC Distinguished Match 9mm with the 1.5" option (comes with a test target 10 rounds at 50 yards in 1.5 inches or less, center to center)

SIG P210 (pick a flavor)

S&W Performance Center 952-1 or 952-2

If you want a P226 I suggest you get the P226ST or the Sport model.

Good luck,
Rich

Black Snowman
August 16, 2004, 10:22 PM
Another vote for the CZ 75 series. Ergos really work for me, great value. Triggers need a little TLC to be good but I love mine just the same. Particularly now that I've worked on the trigger a bit. Still a little long in pull, still a long reset, but I shoot it very well and that's the test.

I like the Hogue grips on mine. Can't wait for CCW and I'll bite the bullet for night sights.

cratz2
August 16, 2004, 11:35 PM
You have got to be kidding me. Trigger on CZ can never be made as sweet as trigger on BHP.
Hrmm... well, I'd have to disagree on that. I've shot several Novak BHPs and all had very respectable triggers, but just not in the same class as an EGW-worked single action CZ... Or even an out of the box CZ Champion or IPSC Standard.

IMNSHO.

But, to each his own. :p

jeff-10
August 17, 2004, 12:23 AM
I own all 3 of those and my favorite by far is the p226.

geekWithA.45
August 17, 2004, 12:45 AM
My wife's P226 is a sweetheart of a gun, sort of like a movie girlfriend. Great ergonomics, great trigger, amazing reliability, and not as many parts/things that can go wrong as the others mentioned. Face it, you WANT your defense gun to be simple, and boringly reliable.

TomN
August 17, 2004, 01:14 AM
I carry and prefer the CZs but the Hi-Powers and Sigs are both great guns. Find a store and see which one fits you best or better yet, find a range that rents them and try them there.

albanian
August 17, 2004, 06:53 PM
It depends on what you mean by "best". I think the Sig is probably the best made but since it has a high bore axis, it doesn't feel as nice in the hand as a BHP. A BHP is a great feeling gun in the hand with a nice slim grip but it is SA only which can be bad for some people that like the ability of a DA. The CZ is a good gun for the money but it is not in a class of SIG and Browning. The Beretta 92 needs to be in your list as that is what I consider the "Best" full sized 9mm.

Jim730
August 17, 2004, 08:26 PM
I was down to the HK USP and the Sig P226, I have also shot the Browning and the CZ. They all shot well, but when it came down to it the Sig felt the best in my hand so whats what I am going to get as soon as I get some money together. When it did come down to the HK vs. the Sig, I held both side by side and the HK felt awful in my hand compared to the Sig...so the Sig it is!

Hawk
August 17, 2004, 08:51 PM
How 'bout a P239?

Looks pretty close to my P7 in profile.

BHPshooter
August 17, 2004, 09:35 PM
I like the BHP best.
CZ-75 is an oh-so-close second for me.
Have no experience with the Sig...

But I wouldn't hesitate to trust an example of each.

Wes

valor1
August 17, 2004, 10:27 PM
HK wins first in my list. Boringly reliable, accurate and durable. Great ergonomics. Excellent handling and pointability.

Second goes for the CZ-75. Very good ergonomics and performance.

Third goes to the Glocks. Very simple and rugged.

Then the Sigs.

Then the Browning.

Damon
August 17, 2004, 10:49 PM
I like the Sig.

Old Dog
August 18, 2004, 12:41 AM
CA-75. I'm heartened that there are so many CZ-75 supporters on this forum ... and all these years I was feeling like the Lone Ranger ... IMHO, the best autoloader made after the 1911 ... certainly, the best looking semi-auto ...

StrikeEagle
August 18, 2004, 08:49 AM
The Browning HiPower is the best example of a 9mm just as surely as the .1911 is the best example or a .45 ACP.

I thought everyone KNEW this!! :D

StrikeEagle :p

CZ52GUY
August 18, 2004, 02:10 PM
BHP - Classic cocked and locked 9 with a Mag' Safety drawback. Some versions don't allow drop free mag's. Mag' safety can be removed (which generally allows mag' to drop free and improves trigger).

CZ-75 - Value, good ergonimics and forgiving platform (another cocked and locked alternative). Agreed that safety placement takes some getting used to. Similar to BHP which inspired it, some versions don't have drop free mag's. A CZ-85 Combat may be the best of the bunch.

Sig P226 - Quality out of the box, but the DA/SA transition takes some practice. Depending on model chosen, price can be far greater than the other two. I find Sig's recover better on follow-ups than other platforms.

Hard to go wrong with any of them. Triggers can be worked. Sig' may have best out of the box...my '99 CZ-75B trigger in SA is every bit as good or better than the SA in my P220ST. My Arcus (BHP Clone) is operationally easier than the CZ-75 and I don't have to deal with DA/SA transition BUT, the out of the box trigger is only so-so (probably going to visit the smithy in the next few months).

I voted CZ-75 because of my experience with two CZ-75's (a CZ-75B and a CZ-75 Transitional).

As has been stated many times, autoloaders are like shoes...see if you can "try them on" and find the one that fits you best.

Good luck!

CZ52'

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on 9mm pistols" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!