Statistical help -- DGUs with which caliber?

PDA

pax
August 16, 2004, 02:32 PM
Okay, everyone, I need some help.

Somewhere there has got to be at least a rudimentary statistical breakdown of Defensive Gun Uses (DGUs) by caliber of gun.

I can't find it, and I could sure use it.

Can anyone help?

pax

If you enjoyed reading about "Statistical help -- DGUs with which caliber?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Can'thavenuthingood
August 17, 2004, 01:07 AM
Have you tried http://ncjrs.org/ yet?

I went to the library abstracts and a bunch of defensive gun uses came up. Haven't researched for caliber though.

Still looking around.
Vick

NukemJim
August 17, 2004, 06:49 AM
Somewhere there has got to be at least a rudimentary statistical breakdown of Defensive Gun Uses (DGUs) by caliber of gun.

I am not so sure there is a such a breakdown by calibre.

The only studies I can recall reading that might, possibly help would be either Evan Marshal's "stopping power" series or possibly Massod Ayoob was at one time also keeping statistics on bullet effectiveness.

Good Luck

NukemJim

Can'thavenuthingood
August 17, 2004, 05:02 PM
Guns and Crime: Handgun Victimization, Firearm Self-Defense, and
Firearm Theft

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/ascii/hvfsdaft.txt

About three-fourths of the victims who used firearms for
self-defense did so during a crime of violence, 1987-92

Average annual number of victimizations
in which victims used firearms to defend
themselves or their property
All crimes 82,500 30,600 51,900
Total violent crime 62,200 25,500 36,700

With injury 12,100 7,300 4,900
Without injury 50,000 18,200 31,800

Theft, burglary,
motor vehicle theft 20,300 5,100 15,200

*In most cases victims who used firearms to defend themselves or
their property were confronted by offenders who were either unarmed
or armed with weapons other than firearms. On average between 1987
and 1992, about 35% (or 22,000 per year) of the violent crime
victims defending themselves with a firearm faced an offender who
also had a firearm. (Because the NCVS collects victimization data
on police officers, its estimates of the use of firearms for
self-defense are likely to include police use of firearms.
Questionnaire revisions introduced in January 1993 will permit
separate consideration of police and civilian firearm cases.)

Offenders shot at victims in 17% of handgun crimes, 1987-92

Percent
_______

Shot at victim 16.6%
Hit victim 3.0
Missed victim 13.6
Nongunshot injury 1.6
No physical injury 12.0

Didn't shoot at victim 83.4%
Other attack/attempt 19.9
Verb. threat of attack 15.4
Weapon present 46.8
Other threat .8
Unknown action .5

Average annual number 699,900

Note: Excludes homicides.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think finding stats by "caliber" may be quite difficult without going through individual records/report.

Note that the DGU's are called "Firearm self Defense", may try that term in your search's.

Vick

sm
August 17, 2004, 08:10 PM
By Caliber -

I'm reaching here, and forgive me for not having links or if I mis- spell a name.

Don Spier,, Dave McCracken, Cirillo, Mas Ayoob , Clint Smith, Marty Hayes, Shawn Dodson, Pat Rogers, L Awerbuck, El Tejon...etc. Where I am going is these folks have experience, websites or "access" to info that you may not.

I'm gonna say with your reputation and credibility - along with having trained with some of these folks .... and I'm guessing you are working on something important ...well...

Best can do - HTH

:)

benEzra
August 17, 2004, 08:57 PM
Marshall's book would be a good start; although it excludes all but single-shot torso hits, it would at least give you a feel for the relative magnitudes of the numbers in the various calibers. Police calibers are going to be skewed way up by police use-of-force incidents (probably statistically overrepresented since Marshall would presumably have had better info on these), but non-police calibers (.22, .25, .380, .44, etc.) would be more representative.

This wouldn't be statistically reliable (selection bias), but you could go through the NRA Armed Citizen book/columns and write down the caliber of the weapon used if it's given.

If you enjoyed reading about "Statistical help -- DGUs with which caliber?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!