New to me CZ-75B AKA Where have you been all my life?

PDA

priv8ter
August 16, 2004, 03:43 PM
I recently completed a trade with a Fellow High Roader, Minute-of-Torso. I gave up an SP-101, and recieved in return a CZ-75B, in 9mm. I have been wanting to pick up something smaller/lighter than the SP-101, but had a hard time spending money for another snuby while I still had the SP-101, and also looking to fill the 'lack of a 9mm' gap in my collection. I had never heard anything bad about CZ-75's...so, there you have it.

I finally got a chance to bring it to the range this weekend. My brother-in-law is out from Ct, so, we loaded up the CZ, my Charles Daly 1911, my 7.62X39 Saiga, Marlin 1894C, and NEF Handi-Rifle in .270, and headed for the range.

We started with rifles, and my b-i-l had a great time with everything. He is a 19-year from Connecticut, so he doesn't get to shoot very much. He had never fired a rifle other than a .22, so I started him with the Saiga, as it had the least kick. Then we moved to the Marlin. He liked that, because it is more accurate(or rather, he and I were more accurate with it) than the Saiga. Then I let him try the .270.

I warned him that the kick was going to be stouter than with either of the other rifles, letting him compare the size of a .270 to a 7.62 X 39, but I don't think he believed me. :evil:

The first shot took him by surprise, be he settled down and by the time he finished his box, he was shooting recognizable groups. He used to shoot for a team back in high school, so he knows more about breath and trigger control than I do, but he is much more comfortable with apperature sights than open sights. So...I was still able to maintain my ego by outshooting him. Of course, I better with my guns.

He had the most fun with my Marlin, and it has solidified my opinion. This would be the LAST gun I got rid of if I had to purge my collection. Mild as a .22 with .38 loads, good for social work with .357 normal .357 loads, and with 180gr hard casts, I'm confident against 4-legged game to 100 yards. I just love it.

We took a break, and then broke out the pistols. During a trip to Ct, I took him to a range were we rented a 1911(a Colt 1991) and he was eager to try out my Charles Daly. I'm afraid he wasn't as impressed with the Daly as he was with the Colt, but that's okay, because neither was I.

Then I got to fire the CZ-75.

Minute-of-Torso had described it as a Tack-Driver, and I had heard it's accuarcy extolled on the High Road before, and I wasn't disappointed. My first 10 rounds were all in the black(6" circle) at 25 yards. Things just got better from there.

Ergonomically, the grip felt a little thick, but I was able to adjust. The only thing I REALLY didn't like was the safety. It was very low profile, and I could see having issues switching it off in a stress-full situation.

It fed 100 Rounds of WWB Ball, and 100 Rounds of American Eagle Ball with out a problem, bit, it did have some issues with 124gr Speer Gold Dot H.P. The first round took some convincing to chamber, and then I had two Failure to Feeds in mid magazine, so I guess I will try Remington Golden Sabre's next.

All in all, it wasn't a half bad way to spend a Sunday...

greg

If you enjoyed reading about "New to me CZ-75B AKA Where have you been all my life?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Werewolf
August 16, 2004, 03:53 PM
Yep CZ 75's are nice...it did have some issues with 124gr Speer Gold Dot H.P. The first round took some convincing to chamber, and then I had two Failure to Feeds in mid magazine, so I guess I will try Remington Golden Sabre's next. I've heard this over and over about the 75 and HP's so it must be true though I've never experienced it in either of mine (9mm and a .40 S&W).

I understand that if you call the CZ guys in Kansas they will fix the problem (for free I think). It is my understanding that they reshape and polish the feed ramp on the barrel to get the CZ to reliably feed HP's.

Are HP's illegal in Europe or something? Is this why CZ's (among others) have problems with HP's? i.e. if you can't buy HP's then there's no point in making sure your weapon as manufactured will chamber them reliably.

CZF
August 16, 2004, 04:45 PM
Hi, Hollow-Points are illegal in Czech Republic. CZ designs the guns around
S&B Ball ammo. Most military and police customers use ball ammo or a
special round with a round nose.

armoredman
August 16, 2004, 05:06 PM
Odd. Every CZ I have had, (PO1/RAMI/CZ75 Compact) fed JHP wothout a problem. Definately have it polished....

Calhoun
August 16, 2004, 05:07 PM
The guys in Kansas City might fix it, but you can do it yourself if you have a dremil. It only takes a couple of minutes to polish the feed ramp on the barrel. I did it right after I got mine and it has never given me any problems with HPs. Matter of fact, 124gr. Gold Dots are my prefferd carry ammo. Then again, every gun is unique and your's just might not like Gold Dots. Either way, welcome to the Club of CZ. Pick up a Kadet kit for it if you get the chance, you won't regret it.

If you have any questions about the ramp polishing, just ask. Also, if you haven't already you should check out www.czforum.com. They have more CZ info than you can shake a stick at.

Calhoun

Clean97GTI
August 16, 2004, 06:48 PM
My 75B has fed everything that I have run through it. JHP and JSP rounds were no problem for it. The HP rounds (Golden Sabers I think) did take a little "convincing" as it were.

Maybe a polish is in order, but the CZ really only sees range duty which usually means ball ammo.

R.H. Lee
August 16, 2004, 07:00 PM
My unmodified-straight-from-the-Czech-Republic CZ75B feeds hp's flawlessly.:)

cratz2
August 16, 2004, 07:41 PM
New to me CZ-75B AKA Where have you been all my life?

Welcome to the club. :D

I've been a lifelong 1911 guy but can't imagine life without at least one CZ. For me, right now, the PCR is the one that works for me but ideally, if possible, I'd love to have a PCR or P-01 frame gun but with single action internals, XS Big Dot night sights, chambered in, gulp... 45GAP.

<hangs head in shame>

Should hold about 11, maybe 12 rounds. Would be a formidable package. And if the dimensions didn't change dramatically from the current PCR/P-01, it would be supremely ergonomic... Couldn't handle an alloy gun the size of the 97 as a carry piece though.

If you enjoyed reading about "New to me CZ-75B AKA Where have you been all my life?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!