southwest VA laws and stores and such?

PDA

Kaylee
August 16, 2004, 06:45 PM
Well, the good news is I *FINALLY* managed to swing some decent fulltime employment.

The unsure news is that it involves a move.. I'll be spending my time going back and forth between Abingdon and Atkins/Marion offices it looks like. So of course, the requisite questions --

What's the laws/CCW attitudes like up VA way? I suppose it's not likely to be as wonderful as Idaho was, or as terrible as CA was, but anything in particular I oughta know? And of course, what kinda stores/rifle ranges should I look at in the area? Should I make sure to keep my legal residence in TN and commute there, or is it "safe" enough?

(and anyone with other input on the area, cheap places to settle, so forth and so on, please shoot me a PM. :) )

Thanks!

-K

If you enjoyed reading about "southwest VA laws and stores and such?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
griz
August 16, 2004, 08:31 PM
CCW is no problem, it's a shall issue state. That side of the state is very gun friendly, but I don't know how it compares to Idaho. As far as stores, I've only been to one and that was still many miles from Abington. The ranges I know of are both in the Princeton-Tazwell area. I can get you in touch with people there if they are close enough, but I know them only from SASS matches. It's fun if you want to try it.

PS Virginia CCW has reciprocity with WV but I'm not sure about TN.

cookhj
August 16, 2004, 08:49 PM
VA has reciprocity with TN.

Majic
August 16, 2004, 11:42 PM
You can now open carry anywhere in Va. as you please. Your Va. CCW will get you around the one-gun-a-month law now too.
Most mountain folks i ran into was right friendly. Granted I didn't trek to far off the beaten path as there are some who don't take to kindly to outsiders.

Leatherneck
August 17, 2004, 10:25 AM
Kaylee,
TN's loss is our gain! Regarding gun rights and the political atmosphere in VA: I think you'll find many similarities in both law and attitude. Recent changes to gun laws, effective July 1, have "cleaned up" a lot of confusing situations that could have caused trouble. Chief among these is total state-wide preemption of local and county laws regarding firearms. There are still a few "gotcha" situations like the ban of weapons on all airport property (including, infamously, the Dulles access road and state route 28 where it passes the airport--technically under control of the Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority--as are DCA and BWI). But even the least gun-friendly parts of NoVA are tolerable now, and of course, VA has been shall-issue for years.

Southwest VA--especially Abingdon--is probably more like TN than the rest of VA.

Don't forget to join VCDL!

Welcome.

TC
TFL Survivor

XLMiguel
August 17, 2004, 11:12 AM
Abington is a nice little town, nice blend of old and new (check out their 'electronic village' on the web. They have one of the biggest Highland games there (in the Fall I think). VA is definitely gun-friendly, esp. in the western part of the state.

Our liquor laws are also better than TN (though we have to make do with state run ABC stores), at least you can get a beer with your meal in a resturaunt anywhere in the state (no 'dry' counties). Welcome, y'all.

cookhj
August 17, 2004, 11:17 AM
east tn is very similar to sw va. you have a lot of the same families that moved back and forth out there, so there isn't much difference in the people and the way things are done. if you wanted to stay in tn, you could live in bristol, tn and commute to abingdon.

If you enjoyed reading about "southwest VA laws and stores and such?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!