Home Invasion: Too Close For Comfort

PDA

nemesis
August 16, 2004, 09:41 PM
Home invasions are a popular pasttime in the Rio Grande Valley and they normally don't concern me too much. This exciting tradition is enjoyed by many Mexicans and some Mexican-Americans but it seldom impacts soucio Gringos.

A dark, tinted window SUV idled by my trailer on Saturday night and appeared to be scouting for something. I watched it, kept it on the radar and stood down when it left this rural area. However, it seems they just drove around the corner for a bit of sport. The incident reported below happened within a few minutes of here if you are walking at a brisk walk.

The Lord is my Shepherd and I'm a miserable SOB at the best of times so I' m not currently quivering in my boots. As a matter of fact, having a prepped flat-top AR-15 at hand, a loaded combat shotgun at the other end of the trailer and two 1911's close by gives me a modicum of confidence should the fit hit the shan but my biggest worry is that these brilliant examples of La Raza will mistake my humble trailer for a safe house for illegal immigrants. Si vis pacem..........

I should add that the place where they beat the old man to death looks like a slaughterhouse with blood splashed all over the side of the house.

Mission man dies after pseudocop robbery

August 16,2004
Travis Whitehead
The Monitor

MISSION — A man has died after intruders dressed as cops stormed into his home and beat him.

The intruders, wearing masks and police-style clothing and carrying weapons, busted into three homes about 10 p.m. Saturday on North Taylor Road near and 4 Mile Line Road, said Investigator Gus Acosta, of the Hidalgo County Sheriff’s Department. Once inside, they threw the occupants facedown on the floor and ransacked the homes, Acosta said.

One of the residents, an 82-year-old man, was transported to McAllen Medical Center where he died 9:40 a.m. Sunday. Acosta said he would not release the man’s name because officials had not yet notified his family.

Pseudocop robberies are a common occurrence, Acosta said, but they don’t usually result in someone’s death.

"This is unique, in a way, but the potential is always there," he said.

Acosta said Hidalgo County Sheriff’s deputies got information from a 9-1-1 call in relation to an aggravated robbery in progress.

"It appears that seven to 10 men wearing dark clothing and carrying assault weapons went from house to house demanding drugs or jewelry," he said.

All three homes were on the same property, Acosta said, and everyone living on the property was related except for the man who died.

"The family allowed him to live there," Acosta said. "He was in the last house, and he was living alone."

He said the men might have left the scene in two different vehicles, a four-door automobile and a dark, late-model sports utility vehicle. No one else was injured, and the suspects did not take anything from the homes.

Acosta said deputies had not determined why the suspects chose these three homes.

"That’s what we’re trying to find out," he said.

Acosta said he did not know why the suspects beat an 82-year-old man.

"That’s the million-dollar question," he said Sunday afternoon. "That’s what we’re trying to figure out right now. That’s why I’m still out and about."

Home Invasion (http://www.themonitor.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=3117&Section=Valley)

If you enjoyed reading about "Home Invasion: Too Close For Comfort" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
August 16, 2004, 10:25 PM
Well, yeah, but we need cheap farm labor, don't we?

DesertEagle613
August 17, 2004, 02:08 AM
Don't suppose anyone got their license plates?

These people need to be hunted down. I hope the police realize this, given that these thugs are masquerading as cops and damaging the uniform.

Diggler
August 17, 2004, 07:56 AM
That sucks... I'd hate to be in that situation...

"No-knock mistaken raid, or violent home invaders?"

You just don't know until you're too late. And if you're wrong either way, you're dead.

Nick1911
August 17, 2004, 08:03 AM
It appears that seven to 10 men wearing dark clothing and carrying assault weapons went from house to house demanding drugs or jewelry," he said.

Evil, evil weapons...

Nick

denny
August 17, 2004, 08:05 AM
Nemisis,

I caught that on the local news too, and it has been several months since the last one. Very bloody this time, but not as many killed as the last one- keep your powder dry.

Are you going to make the Saxet Gun show the last weekend of the month?

Denny

Cool Hand Luke 22:36
August 17, 2004, 09:09 AM
These people need to be hunted down. I hope the police realize this, given that these thugs are masquerading as cops and damaging the uniform

If they're Mexican illegals they're probably back home in Mexico now, with no chance of being returned to the US to face trial.

President Bush is much too anxious to please Mexican Presidente Vincente Fox, so there's been no demand for an actual extradition treaty in return for the concessions the Liberal Bush mis-Administration has showered on Mexico: Open Borders, Mexican eligibility for Social Security Payments, Unsafe Mexican trucks on US Roads, etc.

Parker Dean
August 17, 2004, 10:36 AM
Yeah, there's a couple of idjits that like to strike not too far from here. Killed a homeowner a few months back, and did another invasion a couple weeks ago. They don't try to act like cops, though. Yet.

Mikul
August 17, 2004, 12:09 PM
I don't think these murdering thugs are acting like police officers. It seems more like it's the other way around. For their own sake, I hope the police realize this.

Sawdust
August 17, 2004, 12:31 PM
:rolleyes:

Sawdust

R.H. Lee
August 17, 2004, 12:46 PM
If this activity is not forcefully resisted, it will continue and increase. :fire:

Zundfolge
August 17, 2004, 01:34 PM
THIS is why "No-Knock" warrants are a real bad idea ... if the cops couldn't do this crap legally then criminals couldn't pretend to be cops and pull this crap.

Shane333
August 17, 2004, 01:39 PM
So I've got a question.

What are your rights when someone comes barging into your house claiming to be police?

Some criminal with any brains will realize that this is the perfect way to commit home invasions in my town sooner or later. So what are the laws? If someone barges into my home brandishing firearms in a threatening manner, shouldn't I automatically be legally justified in shooting the intruder?

Somehow I get the sinking feeling that I'd be toast either way. If it's the police invading my home, I'd be executed as a cop-killer. Of course, the cops would shoot me for defending myself anyway. If it's the criminals invading my home, and I don't shoot first, I'd likely be killed and my wife violated or worse.

Zundfolge
August 17, 2004, 03:03 PM
The way I figure it you're screwed whether they are cops who are serving a no-knock and hit the "wrong house" or if they are criminals posing as cops, so I figure just open fire and hope you survive to clean up the mess (legal and otherwise).

I don't engage in any drug dealing or other illegal activity so I will have to assume they are criminals.

I'm wondering if you survive a mistaken home invasion by police but you do kill an officer what would happen .... $10 says they find drugs in your house whether there is any or not ... but assuming all the officers on the scene are honest what kind of trouble would you be in?

I think you'd eventually be cleared ... but I sure wouldn't want to be the test case :uhoh: (and I certainly don't want to kill a police officer by accident ... as much as I have issues with some police policy and the attitudes of a minority of officers I still wouldn't sleep well if I knew I accidentally killed one of the "good guys" :( ).

Heraclitus
August 17, 2004, 03:15 PM
Got the news from the in-laws, who live off Bryan Rd., just minutes away from where it all happened. My wife and I drive by every couple of weeks on our way to their place.

I had heard of this sort of thing happening before in the LRGV, from Zapata all the way down to Los Fresnos; but it had never concerned me very much. Probably because, IIRC, it had never ended in fatalities, and because those who were hit were always La Raza types.

Prob'ly a wake-up call, nemesis... for you, denny and me, at least.

cerberus
August 17, 2004, 03:25 PM
I don't want to sound anti Mexican and Hispanic but they sure are involved in a lot of my State and my Citys growing crime wave. They really don't try much more then the low Tech. types of crimes and invading a gringos home or Apt. is one they are doing a lot around here. Also auto and truck jackings. Their giving the Blacks a run for being the top problem for law enforcment officers. :rolleyes:

Edmond
August 17, 2004, 03:44 PM
Something like this is really unexpected. We always think that it can't happen to anyone but us. The key is for us to take the steps and prevent things like this from happening.

Our neighborhood is pretty tight. We're always watching out for each other and even take each others' garbage cans back up the driveway if a neighbor is at work.

I've called the police a few times because of a suspicious person. Most of the people who live on my street are a little older and certain things will stick out.

Watch each others' backs!

SunBear
August 17, 2004, 04:09 PM
denny, nemesis or heraclitus: Are any of you folks near Quemado (between Del Rio and Eagle Pass)? You folks are homeland security! Happy trails.

cerberus
August 17, 2004, 04:14 PM
Our neighborhood is not so tight anymore. A lot of new people renting section eight houses that were bought by the City. Just three owners lefr on my Cul-de -Sac. :mad: And as of a Month ago a family moved next door that the older son 22 is a gang banger and he has a lot of gang banger friends driving up with their BOOM!!BOOM!! what ever it's called not music by any near miss. :fire: I never leave the house front or back yard unless I am armed. For years I have had iron bars on all windows and doors even the rear sliding glass door. Also a big night light over garage area. People around here are just to candy or just plain scared to ever say or do anything:rolleyes: It's up to who ever wants to stay alive to be ready to defend his or hers home.:)

Rickstir
August 17, 2004, 05:31 PM
I think it is better for us "out in the sticks' in MO. We are far out from the closest town and have a really good relationship with the sheriff. Several deputies too. If someone "dropped a dime on us" I am confident they would know we are not into any illegal activities. That small town thing. We are a fair distance off the road and in full sight/smell of our pack of four dogs, both inside and outside criters. But then again you never know for sure. That's why there are a number of weapons close at hand. No kids, the guns are loaded.

nemesis
August 17, 2004, 06:00 PM
Are you going to make the Saxet Gun show the last weekend of the month?
Roger that, Denny. Just debating whether I should call Tod and see if he still has a spare table available. Rick Schroeder always has a table and I may ask him to sell a couple of items for me.

Don't suppose anyone got their license plates?
When I saw them go by, I was just being cautious but had no way to know something was about to happen. I do know an Investigator with the County Sheriff and I called him today to give him the benefit of what I had seen. He confirmed the vehicle from my description but I added that I thought a woman was driving and they hadn't heard that yet.

If they're Mexican illegals they're probably back home in Mexico now
Not a chance. Possibly 40% of our local population is here illegally, I'm surrounded by them, and they aren't going back. They're just here to try to improve their lives by taking jobs Americans won't take.

Prob'ly a wake-up call, nemesis... for you, denny and me, at least.
Be safe, be aware. Check six.

Are any of you folks near Quemado?
No. I know Quemado (The Burnt Place) but we're a long way from there. As a matter of fact, they're on the border like us but we're much more Mexican down here and have lots, lots more illegals and more intrigue at the hands of illegals.

JamisJockey
August 17, 2004, 07:28 PM
Nemesis:
I lived in Brownsville for two years. Defintely a unique place...I kept my shotgun and handgun loaded and close 24/7.

whm1974
August 17, 2004, 09:53 PM
Not a chance. Possibly 40% of our local population is here illegally, I'm surrounded by them, and they aren't going back. They're just here to try to improve their lives by taking jobs Americans won't take.

For one they are improving thier lives at our expense. Two, those employers are refusing to pay enough for americans to live on. Mexicans can live on wages the rest of us will starve on.

-Bill

Edmond
August 17, 2004, 10:14 PM
Mexicans can live on wages the rest of us will starve on.

True. Buddy of mine visited Mexico for a day when he went to see his old man out in San Diego. He said that Mexico is a very depressing place where people are quite poor.

Hardtarget
August 17, 2004, 11:06 PM
Home invasion just keeps popping up in the news here in Nashville...several in the last few weeks. Last one, two guys kicked in a door. Two females home and saw the masks so they retreated to the bedroom. When one BG got to the bedroom door he met a .45 slug to the head. She cleared the court docket...he'll not show up for any more hearings. Home invasions make me "antsy"...so I keep my stuff close, loaded, and ready. I just hope I'm mentaly ready as well. Pulling the trigger can't be easy but I will try to defend home and family if it comes to it.
Mark.

13A
August 21, 2004, 01:56 PM
quote:

"Not a chance. Possibly 40% of our local population is here illegally, I'm surrounded by them, and they aren't going back. They're just here to try to improve their lives by taking jobs Americans won't take."

This statement is a myth. Next time you go by a construction site take a look at who is doing the framing and especially the roofing. These jobs used to pay well. The wage scale has lowered over the years because of illegal aliens.

Pay an American proper wages and we will do ANY job (those Americans who are willing to work - not the leeches).

Have you not seen the articles where illegal aliens are suing states for in-state tuition rates? Are these illegal aliens willing to go to college for 2 or more years to take jobs Americans don't want? I don't think so.

Diggler
August 21, 2004, 02:27 PM
Get rid of welfare for the able-bodied leeches and you will have people to fill even the low-paying jobs.

If you enjoyed reading about "Home Invasion: Too Close For Comfort" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!