B-West imported Makarovs

PDA

WhoKnowsWho
August 16, 2004, 11:15 PM
Did they only import Russian Maks or did they import Bulgys too?

I didn't have time to look at one in the shop, all I saw was B-West import and it had a brushed chromed looking frame (may have been stainless or nickel) and it was in .380 Auto. It also had adjustable sights.

And what should the price be about on these ones if it is Russian or other?

If you enjoyed reading about "B-West imported Makarovs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tecolote
August 16, 2004, 11:19 PM
They imported Russian Maks only. Price depends on condition, original box, papers, mags, etc. A two tone Russian Mak in excellent condition is probably worth $200 to $250.

WhoKnowsWho
August 16, 2004, 11:24 PM
It looked like it was pretty good condition...

Guess I should take a look at it either way since it was only $150...

And I don't have a Russian Mak... :D

Tecolote
August 16, 2004, 11:37 PM
A two tone Russian in good condition for $150 is a good bargain. You can find lots of info and accessories at www.makarov.com

WhoKnowsWho
August 16, 2004, 11:43 PM
You can find lots of info and accessories at www.makarov.com

Yeah, I skimmed the site again. I haven't look at it for a while, but they have no pics of what the piece should look like. I'll have to look at the markings and such tomorrow or Wednesday. And the auction sites aren't of any help, almost all are Bulgarian pieces right now.

Marko
August 17, 2004, 12:29 AM
Here'a a pic of a nice B-West I used to own. Seems to me I sold it for around $250. $150 is a steal.

Take care. Marko

JA
August 17, 2004, 12:54 AM
B-west imported only Chinese and Russian Makarov pistols. The model IJ70-17A was chambered for the 9x17mm/380acp cartridge. The model IJ70-18 was chambered for the 9x18mm Makarov cartridge. These pistols were imported with 3 types of finish blue, two tone,or nickel finish.
http://www.baikalinc.ru/eng/prod/hguns/pm/
Contrairy to what makarov.com says all the Russian Makarov pistols imported were mfg. by Izhevsky Mekhanichesky Zavod company.
None were made by Baikal as it is a trademark not a manufacturing company.
http://www.baikalinc.ru/eng/baikal/
$150 is a good deal on one especially a 380.

Teakwood
August 17, 2004, 08:33 AM
Quote from JA:
"Contrairy to what makarov.com says all the Russian Makarov pistols imported were mfg. by Izhevsky Mekhanichesky Zavod company.
None were made by Baikal as it is a trademark not a manufacturing company."
:scrutiny:
Contrary to what JA said, Makarov.com pointed out quite clearly on their FAQL that IMEZ was the Russian manufacturer and Baikal was only a tradfing company.

"How is Izmech different from Baikal?
IMEZ stands for Izhevskii Mechanicheskii Zavod or Izhevsk Mechanical Factory located in the city of Izhevsk near the Ural Mountains. They produce the Makarov, PSM, various shotguns, airguns, artificial pacemakers for the heart, oil drilling equipment. It is a goverment, state owned enterprise, but has the right to close its own business contracts and deals without govermental interferance.

Baikal is a foreign trade organization this is similar to North China Industries (NORINCO). This was a govermental organization that was used to market Soviet goods abroad. These days Baikal is hardly active in any trade with the US, largely because of the Bill Clinton imposed "voluntary trade restrictions." IMEZ used the grips with Baikal on it because...well, it was all they had.... Baikal also traded autos, trucks, various other consumer goods. Not only guns and ammo."

:scrutiny: :scrutiny:

JA
August 17, 2004, 12:19 PM
My bad I didn't read that far down the page.

denfoote
August 17, 2004, 04:30 PM
Just a short comment about the adjustable sights.
The kind folks over at Makarov Dot Com have denigrated these sights for years. They have been discribed as "cheap", as well as other things!!
However, I have had an aformentioned IJ70-17A for over a decade now. Countless numbers of 9mm kurz rounds have fled down it's barrel. The "cheap" target sights are just as tight as when I bought the pistol!!

I would go for it in a heartbeat!!
I think I paid about $89 way back when for mine!!

If you enjoyed reading about "B-West imported Makarovs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!