When guns become more valuable for the parts

PDA

Rembrandt
August 16, 2004, 11:49 PM
Been to some gun shows where a couple of dealers specialize in firearm parts....always wondered at what point do you just scrap out the gun and sell it off piece by piece. Or do these dealers buy confiscated guns from police departments?

If you enjoyed reading about "When guns become more valuable for the parts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PMDW
August 17, 2004, 12:15 AM
You don't have to buy complete guns. You can buy just parts from people. I would assume that is how they get them.

Preacherman
August 17, 2004, 01:07 AM
Heh... There's a gunsmith in town here who is the third generation of gunsmiths in his family. Between them, his granddaddy, his father and himself have accumulated several metal drawer cabinets full of gun parts, dating back to the turn of the 20th century. He's got parts in there that even Numrich Arms don't stock any more! He is known to a number of gunsmiths around the country, and every week he gets calls asking whether he has a doohickey spring for the floggletoggle around the watchamacallit on a 1908 Flugelhorn. Often, he has!

Wildalaska
August 17, 2004, 01:19 AM
We sell a lot of parts...

Guns..like cars..wear out...sometimes, unless they have sentimental value, it aint worth it to fix grandpas old bubbaed old misdrilled Springfieled...we just give the owner a credit on new gun, bust up the reciever and sell the parts..

We are also working a deal to get PD confiscated guns that pursuant to thier rules, cant be sold...but the parts can :)

WildjunkboyAlaska

Jim March
August 17, 2004, 02:10 AM
Guns are almost never worth more "in parts" than whole.

First, remember that there's always one piece that's serialized, that's legally THE GUN and needs paperwork when transferred or whatever.

Second, most other parts are "fitted" to that central piece (frame, reciever, etc.).

Third, collectors pay a LOT of attention to whether the complete set of parts are all original; otherwise it's a "Frankengun".

Only when the central frame/reciever is blown up are the rest of the parts worth more than the whole, over 99% of the time.

Okiecruffler
August 17, 2004, 03:41 AM
I know at least one person who buys those Ufixems at around 20bucks each, then sells the parts on Ebay after he's put one together.

cracked butt
August 17, 2004, 09:19 AM
About 6 or 7 years ago, I saw a guy who had a 1/2 dozen or so '03 Springfield drill rifles, complete with good stocks for sale for around $50 a piece.

Wish I would have bought every darn one of them:banghead:

Sam Adams
August 17, 2004, 12:30 PM
I know at least one person who buys those Ufixems [Mosin M44s] at around 20bucks each, then sells the parts on Ebay after he's put one together.

Where does one get them for that little?

If they're obtained with a C&R, how do you record that in your Bound Book? Is it even legal to do so (this fellow sounds like he's running a business)?

Just curious.

Mike_IN_PA
August 17, 2004, 12:42 PM
Usually in this case they are buying the "U fix'ems" from Century International (http://www.centuryarms.com/Century/home.htm) and depending what is missing from each you can find enough parts beween them to make one or 2 complete rifles. Selling off what is left is not a business. This is just one way a person can enhance there collection and is totally legal from the ATF point of view.

This topic has been discussed ad nauseum here: http://p077.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm72

Okiecruffler
August 17, 2004, 01:44 PM
This guy is, or was the market is kinda drying up, making alot more money on the parts than he's spending on them. I'm not sure how kosher that is on a C&R, but this guy supposedly has an FFL. All I know is I had to pay him 8 bucks plus shipping for a front sight. At 20 bucks each that leaves alot of parts left. Last batch of Ufixem's I bought was 5 91/30's for $100 and free shipping. Who could pass up a deal like that? Ended up with 3 complete 91/30's by the itime I was finished, if you don't count bayonet and cleaning rod. Back then the bayos cost more than the rifles did.

HankB
August 17, 2004, 02:02 PM
With my luck, if I bought a TRUCKLOAD of U-Fix'ems, they'd all be missing the SAME parts. :rolleyes:

Tamara
August 17, 2004, 02:27 PM

Not necessarily.

I can think of two or three circumstances off the top of my head:

1) Older guns that are popular targets for restoration. A $150 top-break Smith is $200+ of parts to the right people. A shot-out prewar Hand Ejector that isn't worth $50-$100 as a gun is worth... well, have you priced hammers for a prewar Smith lately? :eek: Kraggy Jorgy all tore up? Does it have the sights, extractor and all the magazine parts intact? Worth more parted out on ebay than sold as a wallhanger at the local show.

2) Really really cheap guns from companies that are no longer among the living can be worth much more gradually parted out as repair parts than sold as junker Saturday Night Specials.

3) I can about guarantee that you could take an old single-barrel shotgun apart and get more for the parts on ebay or at your local show than you could for the complete gun as a trade in at a dealer.

Trebor
August 18, 2004, 03:58 AM

There's always an exception. I know guys who have broken up collectable M-1 Garands to sell the parts on eBay to other guys who are trying to restore a rifle to original manufactured condition. The total profit on the parts is normally higher then the initial cost of the donor rifle AND often is more then the rifle would have got if sold complete. Weird, huh?

If you enjoyed reading about "When guns become more valuable for the parts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!