Shooting Technique?

PDA

Russsty
August 16, 2004, 10:51 PM
I have a friend that has a marlin model 60. He was complaining about it not being accurate, shooting all over the place, more like a shotgun group than a rifle group. He asked me to take it home and play with it and see what I thought was wrong. I shot it this evening and was able to cut weeds at about 25yds. with it in about 10 shots, it shoots a little to the right. First thing I thought was it is the shooter not the gun, but he is a fairly good shot with a rifle as I've been shooting with him before. Now here's the deal. I shoot bass akwards. I'm right eye dominate, and shoot left handed, due to a broken collar bone sometime back. I couldn't use my right shoulder so I learned to use my left and liked it better. Truth is I can use either just as good. I know the marlin isn't known for tack driving accuracy but I think it was the shooter not the gun. Now how can I direct him the right way or pick up on what he is doing wrong to help him be a better shooter?

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting Technique?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Not_A_Llama
August 17, 2004, 01:37 AM
The Marlins are known for being tack drivers; I've never seen a stock 10/22 shoot a fifth as well as a stock Marlin 60.

Did you take the rifle down? I've noticed that sometimes the front takedown screw can cause strong variations in point-of-impact; it's possible that if it was loose, the recoil could have jarred it everytime.

Darkside
August 17, 2004, 03:38 AM
My first 22 was a Marlin Glenfield Mod. 60. It was even decorated with the pressed squirrel on the pistol grip. One day I mounted a 3-9 scope on it and was consistantly knocking the center out of a blue rock at 100 yards. That really opened my eyes to how good those things could shoot.:what:

Like Not_a_Lama said if only 10-22s would shoot as well:mad:

Darkside

shoobe01
August 17, 2004, 12:03 PM
Hey, this reminds me of my Marlin from years ago. It was an autoloader, supposed to look sorta like an M1 Carbine. Like, had the top wood with the groove and all that. Anyone know what the model number was?

Anyway, sure it was accurate, but the most unreliable weapon I have ever owned. Even with brand, new 7-shot marlin mags, it would occasionally shoot twice in a row. But rarely.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting Technique?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!