CA - Two shot dead in crowded restaurant.

PDA

Ironbarr
August 17, 2004, 04:06 PM
This is why we believe a "Proper Social Configuration" affords - at the very least - an opportunity to defend oneself.

From LA Times - for educational purposes.August 17, 2004
ORANGE COUNTY
Shooter Kills 2 in Crowded Garden Grove Restaurant
At 1 a.m., a gunman enters the eatery, walks up to two at men at a table and fires.

By Mai Tran, Times Staff Writer

Two men sitting in a Garden Grove restaurant were shot and killed early Monday when a gunman walked into the crowded business and fired several times at close range without saying a word, officials said.

Police arrived at the restaurant shortly after the 1 a.m. shooting and found the men on the floor of Hawaii Cafeteria, which is in a strip mall near Brookhurst Street and Chapman Avenue.

Officers said about 75 customers fled the eatery after the gunfire broke out. None were injured.

"It was a very violent and unusual crime for two people to be killed without any exchange of words in a restaurant," said Garden Grove police Lt. Mike Handfield.

The men were identified by authorities as Tri Thanh Phan, 38, of Fountain Valley, and Kurt Martinsen, 29, of Lake Forest. They were good friends, had no gang affiliations and were regular customers at the restaurant, police said.

A motive for the shooting has not been determined, authorities said.

The gunman, wearing a baseball cap, entered the front door and "went directly to the men sitting at the table and opened fire at close range with a handgun," said Garden Grove police Investigator Carl Whitney.

The man then ran out the front door and fled in a dark sedan with two other people inside. The car was last seen traveling south on Brookhurst Street, officers said.

Later Monday, the restaurant's blinds were drawn, a front window was smashed and several tables were littered with menus. The owner of the business could not be reached for comment.

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call Whitney at (714) 741-5877.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-gunman17aug17,1,6967524.story?coll=la-headlines-california

Visit Latimes.com at http://www.latimes.com--------------------

If you enjoyed reading about "CA - Two shot dead in crowded restaurant." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
OF
August 17, 2004, 04:16 PM
Sounds like a 'hit' to me.

- Gabe

El Tejon
August 17, 2004, 04:20 PM
We took this trip to Garden Grove. It smelled like Lou dog inside the van . . . I got the deuce deuce . . .:D

Mistaken gang hit perchance?:confused:

Werewolf
August 17, 2004, 04:27 PM
had no gang affiliations At least not any the police knew of.

Not all criminals are stupid. Some are even smart enough to outwit the police and stay off of their radar.

The situation as described can be nothing else than a mob/gang hit. Whether mistaken or not is immaterial. It was a hit of some type.

Daniel T
August 17, 2004, 04:33 PM
Maybe it was some kind of initiation thing...?

gbelleh
August 17, 2004, 06:08 PM
Sounds like a scene from (insert your favorite mafia/drug movie here).

Stand_Watie
August 17, 2004, 07:03 PM
You don't have to have gang affiliations to be a victim of a gang hit. Are any of our members familiar with garden grove? Are businessowner protection/extortion rackets common there?

Kruzr
August 17, 2004, 07:16 PM
For those not in South PRK, the area mentioned in Garden Grove is close to what is called (officially) Little Saigon. This is the area where many Vietnam refugees relocated and re-established their lives. The businesses along the main street there are mostly Vietnamese. The area also is one of the worst gang areas in Southern California. The gang shootings are not uncommon and this sounds like one. From what I'm told by LEO's in the area, "protection" is sold by the gangs to many businesses just like Chicago or New York in the old days (and probably still today.)

Roc_Kor
August 17, 2004, 07:40 PM
That shooter could have been stopped from murdering those people if someone there was packing. Damn you, California gun law supporters. May the blood of all the innocent fallen due to the lack of arms stain your hands forever. :cuss: :fire: :fire: :fire: :cuss:

Ok, I'm done. Sorry.

:banghead:

Tharg
August 17, 2004, 07:44 PM
Actually - this sounds like a situation done when not much could have been done by a CHL holder... since it was quick to the point and over before much of anything could have been done. (mind you - all i know is what the article says)

J/Tharg!

Roc_Kor
August 17, 2004, 07:48 PM
Well they could have stopped the man from leaving by showing the gun or something.

RobW
August 17, 2004, 08:05 PM
Impossible! Kalifornistan is the gun-free, peaceful paradise where the gov cares for you! :banghead:

Joey2
August 17, 2004, 09:35 PM
Sounds like Daniel T has nailed it, a gangland initiation.

If the criminals thought that everyone in there could possiblly be carrying, maybe this could of been avoided.

The key here is that everyone has the right to bear arms sans CCW BS.

Ex-Doc
August 17, 2004, 10:02 PM
Vietnamese gangs don't do random initiation hits. The asian bosses don't like the heat. It sounds like a hit for not paying a debt or a family member of the victims did something that someone the shooter represents didn't like. I live only a few miles from the site and this area is realitivly nice. Violence in the non-hispanic areas are very specific. The local tv (kcal)anchor made a statement that none of the 70+ patrons didn't "DO ANYTHING!" Well no ????? what the f would you like them to do? throw their chopsticks at a gunman?

TonyB
August 18, 2004, 11:01 AM
if the restaraunt only had a sign saying"no guns allowed"................;)

Skunkabilly
August 18, 2004, 11:54 AM
Lots of Korean and Vietnamese skunkmagnets in Garden Grove so I eat and play there.

Seriously people, If you have a CCW, a pistol, backup gun, backupknife, Surefire (with strike bezel and all), and friends that do, would you want to get involved in a gang hit as a third party?

JPL
August 18, 2004, 12:11 PM
"Well they could have stopped the man from leaving by showing the gun or something."

Doubtful.

The guy had already shot two people in what I'm betting was a gang hit, proving that opening fire in a crowded public place didn't bother him in the least.

Confronting him with a gun likely would only have resulted in an all out gun battle.

SoCalGeek
August 18, 2004, 01:10 PM
That shooter could have been stopped from murdering those people if someone there was packing.

Well they could have stopped the man from leaving by showing the gun or something.

The local tv (kcal)anchor made a statement that none of the 70+ patrons didn't "DO ANYTHING!"

would you want to get involved in a gang hit as a third party?

Maybe it is entirely self-serving of me, but I wouldn't ???? with an asian gang (or any gang, for that matter). The men in this situation were probably killed instantly, and trying to stop the shooter would probably result in you getting killed either on the spot, or later. I understand that asian gangs around here are pretty vicious. As in, stabbings at internet cafes over Counterstrike games were such a common occurance that the city banned them.

SLCDave
August 18, 2004, 01:17 PM
He kept the deuce-deuce in the trunk of his car, so it couldn't have been him!

Mike Hull
August 18, 2004, 01:41 PM
What Stand_Watie said! Extortion! The establishment wont pay, they drive his/her customers off by killing a few.
This is definitely not the first time this has happened in Garbage Grove.

I remember one where, I think 6 patrons were killed.

Notice how the owner had no comment??

I used to live in Orange County.

ameri_fan
August 18, 2004, 02:25 PM
coulda been a hit or an initiation frmo what i understand

dhoomonyou
August 18, 2004, 05:02 PM
Sounds like a scene from (insert your favorite mafia/drug movie here).

Godfather, scene in restaurant where Michael (Pacino) comes out of the bathroom and shoots the Cop & the hood.

spartacus2002
August 18, 2004, 09:15 PM
Lots of Korean and Vietnamese skunkmagnets in Garden Grove so I eat and play there.

Hmmm... I heard an internet rumor the hit was for late payment on banjo lessons... hope somebody [cough...Skunk...cough] has an alibi....

:D

50 Freak
August 18, 2004, 09:48 PM
Maybe they just didn't like the Pho (vietnamese noodle soup for you uncouthed neanderthals).

Actually I am part Vietnamese and grew up in that neighborhood. It sure sounds like an extortion (see what you get if you don't pay) hit.

I wonder if I had been sitting in that restaurant would I have drawn my gun and shot back. I have a CCW and would only draw it to protect my family or myself. Seeing how they just came up to the poor guys and offed them. Would I risk the chance of a gun battle in a crowded restaurant, or would I let them leave and have the LEO's earn their pay. There was no way to stop the hit. No one could have known in time if two guys walk up to someone pull their guns and kill him before he had anytime to react.

Stand_Watie
August 18, 2004, 10:16 PM
In all fairness I don't think it's likely that even with a CCW those two murders would have been prevented, but if one of them had been packing there is a slim possibility that there would be a bad guy dead or seriously injured...that won't bring innocents back to life, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. Additionally, what if the bad guys assigned task had been to kill four patrons of the resturaunt or six or eight? Then a ccw holder on the premises could have made all the difference in the world.

BullseyeAz03
August 18, 2004, 10:53 PM
Anyone seen Boondock Saints? That's what we need for times like these IMO. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "CA - Two shot dead in crowded restaurant." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!