herters 401

PDA

barrel
August 17, 2004, 09:40 PM
Any body have any info on herters 401 caliber? found some bullets in a box today, new one on me. TIA, mike

If you enjoyed reading about "herters 401" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SDC
August 17, 2004, 10:43 PM
"This is a proprietary cartridge developed by Herter's Inc. of Waseca, Minnesota in 1961. Herter's was a mail order gun, ammunition, and loading supply house that once offered a series of excellent products to the gun trade. The 401 Powermag was chambered in the Herter Powermag single action revolver. The cartridge is similar to the 41 Remington Magnum, but the two are not interchangeable. The case of the 41 Remington Magnum is .005 inches larger in diameter and .009 inches longer than the 401 Powermag. Since the 401 Powermag preceded the 41 Remington Magnum by three years, it is difficult to escape the possibility that it served as the inspiration for the Remington Magnum. On the other hand, the wildcat 400 Eimer existed in 1924. It is also similar to the 401 and the 41 Magnums, so it is difficult to decide who influenced who."
http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w401herter.html

Penman
August 18, 2004, 08:42 PM
IIRC, the guns were single actions made by Sauer.

August 18, 2004, 09:29 PM
I have one of the guns, but not in .401 Powermag: mine is in .44 Rem. Mag. but it is the same Herter's gun. I saw it in a display case a couple years ago and the thought ".401 Powermag" flashed through my mind even though I hadn't seen a picture of one since I was a kid.
The gun is pretty decent. It is accurate and has a great trigger pull. I don't intend to shoot any monster loads through it just because I don't know enough about it. It could probably take them with no problem, but I am not sure. Since I have at least three other .44 mag handguns, it isn't really an issue. I couldn't resist buying a .44 Handgun for $175.

Mornard
August 19, 2004, 02:50 PM
I had one. It was an excellent gun. It remains on my list of "10 Guns I Most Regret Selling..."

20duc00
January 13, 2007, 04:37 PM
i have herters 22,357,401,1nd 44mag. revolvers and always looking for more,would like to buy more and turn one into a 45 colt. love them all, great trigger pulls and accurate. just ugly (but kool).

If you enjoyed reading about "herters 401" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!