Moderating

PDA

The_Antibubba
August 18, 2004, 04:31 AM
Just curious-how much time does the job of Moderator take up, and how often?

If you enjoyed reading about "Moderating" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Moparmike
September 4, 2004, 07:06 AM
Well, first there is Moderating boot camp. That takes weeks of sticking your face in molten lava dozens of times daily for you to have a thick skin.

Then you must follow the teachings of the Vulcan philosophy to learn to adequately use logic and be objective. Failure results in Klingon pain sticks until you get it right. Also, ears must be worn during all moderating.

Then, you must reach for a genuine 1911 with JMB's signature, never knowing if it has 10,000 volts running through it, dozens of times daily to learn to resist temptation. Like that presented when some idiot goes off ranting or ignorantly slamming something.

Then you must have an wireless ethernet card installed on your brain with a cat5 port replacing one of your ears. This way you can constantly monitor the server whether in a wireless or a wired environment.

Then you must smash your thumbs thousands of times with a hammer while standing in the presence of Art's Grandmaw. If you curse, even once, you dont qualify.

And then there is a bunch of secret stuff, but if I told you I would have to kill you. :neener:

pax
September 4, 2004, 11:12 AM
... and you don't even want to know about the Initiation Ritual.

pax

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water. -- W. C. Fields

Wildalaska
September 4, 2004, 01:08 PM
... and you don't even want to know about the Initiation Ritual.

So thats where thos bizzare Japense X rated videos come from! Yuck and ouch!:neener: :evil: :D

Speaking as a mod on a pretty high traffic board it can truly suck. No matter what ya do, someone gets pissed off at ya. On that Board Im double dipped, both as a supercilious, arrogant, obnoxious poster AND as a Mod.

:cool:

WildnononottheropeowwwwwwwwwAlaska

sm
September 4, 2004, 01:31 PM
I've never been a moderator on a forum.
I have "moderated " real live folks in a room with computers, trying to get them set up for on-line classes. My first experience, I assisted, the other assistant was a lady.

The fellow that we helped asked afterwards "Well?" . The lady said she'd rather go through childbirth again. :D

The next time I was "volunteered" so was this lady. I took a different approach. The Fella "wondered why" I wanted and had put an old pc and monitor in the room.

I fried the monitor on purpose. I got everyone's attention ( well the lady student ran outside to laugh with the fella running this dealie).

You know what? Everyone paid attention - and we did not "fry" 3 monitors like the first time, and nobody crashed a 'puter.

I'm told 2 "old" PC's and monitors are in a closet with my name on them. The IT Chair , upon hearing what I did, "well , older students do bring life experiences and different perspectives to the classroom....why didn't WE think of this before". :D

I'm gonna charge admisson - or ask for credit hours next time. Both? :D

Tamara
September 4, 2004, 05:07 PM
I have been accused of being a biased right wing thug by members departing in a huff.

I have been accused of being a simpering PC leftie by members departing in a huff.

I have been accused of being an LEO suck-up statist pig by members departing in a huff.

I have been accused of being a wannabe cop-killer anarchist by members departing in a huff.

I've been told I'm tactless, biased, power-hungry, a player of favorites, a rules lawer, insensitive, and a zillion other things.

I've quit once, and come back, because I love this place.

I don't get paid, it takes up way too damn much of my time, and I piss everybody off.

I must be doing something right. ;)

pax
September 4, 2004, 05:22 PM
I don't get paid, it takes up way too damn much of my time, and I piss everybody off.
Yup, that about sums it up for me too.

pax

Closed for thread veer, insults, wallowing in the bar-ditch beside the Low Road, and attempted homicide of a Moderator by way of coronary aneurysm. -- LawDog, in one of my all-time favorite posts

Jason Demond
September 4, 2004, 06:23 PM
I have been accused of being a biased right wing thug by members departing in a huff.

I have been accused of being a simpering PC leftie by members departing in a huff.

I have been accused of being an LEO suck-up statist pig by members departing in a huff.

I have been accused of being a wannabe cop-killer anarchist by members departing in a huff.

I've been told I'm tactless, biased, power-hungry, a player of favorites, a rules lawer, insensitive, and a zillion other things.

I've quit once, and come back, because I love this place.

Yeah, but we still love ya!:D

All you Mods do a great job. People need to tell you guys that more often.:)

Wildalaska
September 4, 2004, 09:21 PM
Yam I cant beleive they said that about ya, you are not a rules lawyer...

PS ya dont piss me off

WildmymilsurpsarenicethanyoursAlaska

If you enjoyed reading about "Moderating" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!