State Police surplus weapons sales nets about $41,000

PDA

Blue Line
August 18, 2004, 03:26 PM
State Police surplus weapons sales nets about $41,000
August 18, 2004 10:00 AM
DUNBAR, W.Va.

West Virginia State Police will receive about 41-thousand dollars from the recent auction of surplus shotguns, sniper rifles and machine guns.

The agency decided to clean out its weapons locker earlier this month and received more than 30 bids for the unwanted weapons.

Ken Frye with the state's Surplus Property Division says a Norinco machine gun attracted the highest bid of 98-hundred-and-54 dollars.

The machine gun was one of several semiautomatic weapons the State Police received from a gun collector who was convicted of a felony.

The auction also included 20 12-gauge shotguns and 14 308-caliber bolt-action sniper rifles with scopes.

Only licensed firearms dealers could bid on the weapons.

Frye says the weapons won't be released until the State Police completes checks on the highest bidders.

Money from the sale will go into the State Police's equipment fund

If you enjoyed reading about "State Police surplus weapons sales nets about $41,000" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fletcher
August 18, 2004, 03:31 PM
That is a great way to get rid of extra arms. Even better would be if it was open to anyone.

Third_Rail
August 18, 2004, 03:35 PM
The machine gun was one of several semiautomatic weapons.....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Do they even REALIZE what they just said? It might as well have been "in other news, a African-American white male....."

AZ Jeff
August 18, 2004, 03:44 PM
Did anyone also note the use of the term "sniper rifle". As many have predicted, scoped bolt action centerfire rifles will be the next category of firearm to be "re-defined" by the media and anti-gunners.

First, any high capacity firearm that looked scarey was an "assault weapon"

Now, anything with a scope on it is a "sniper rifle".

Very clever, these anti-gunners. They use the media to revise the definition of words, and in doing so pave the way to further marginalize the shooting community.

Tharg
August 18, 2004, 04:08 PM
Ya that one ran through my head like 20 times in about 2 seconds.

.308 bolt action sniper rifles....

because ... ya know.... it couldn't be a bolt action .308.... nope... bolt action.308 SNIPER rifle....

I guess i have sniper pistols too...

yeap yeap... a sniper rifle in 22lr too....

grrrrrr

If i were to define a sniper rifle - i'd say one designed to shoot on target w/ lethal force up to and over 800 or so yards. I don't know what the "true" definition of a "sniper" rifle would be... but that would be where my head puts it. Either way - w/ MY definition you would still need someone trained and capable of making that shot before you'd have what i'd call a sniper and his tool.

heh

J/Tharg!

ps - missed the semi-auto machinegun... rofl... and loved the african american white male comment =) heheh

dinosaur
August 18, 2004, 04:49 PM
Well, in police work if it has a scope and a bolt, it's a sniper rifle. There's no other use for it. I forget what distance ours practiced but it wasn't 300 yds. and it sure as heck wasn't 800!

This of course is negated if one works in Waythehelloutinsagebrush County and you can fill your big game permit on County time.:neener:

A Norinco semi auto machine gun huh? I'd say the buyer paid about $9000 too much for that Red Chinese POS. :barf:

Flyboy
August 18, 2004, 05:13 PM
Do they even REALIZE what they just said? It might as well have been "in other news, a African-American white male....."

Hey, now. I'll have you know that one of my flight instructors was an African-American white male. Born and raised in South Africa, he was. Whiter than me.

(Yes, I know what you mean, I just hate the whole hyphenated-American thing.)

nico
August 18, 2004, 05:15 PM
It might as well have been "in other news, a African-American white male....."
no, it's possible for a white person to be refered to as African-American (as long as you don't ask the NAACP for input). ie: a white person who was born in South Africa and moved to the US. A semi-auto machine gun though. . . :confused:

fletcher
August 18, 2004, 05:22 PM
no, it's possible for a white person to be refered to as African-American (as long as you don't ask the NAACP for input). ie: a white person who was born in South Africa and moved to the US. A semi-auto machine gun though. . .

Perhaps it was an auto of semi-auto descent? :D :p

ZeroX
August 18, 2004, 05:41 PM
Actually, one of my teachers (an ex-Army paratrooper) knew a guy in the service whose birth parents were both black but he was born totally white. He happened to get the recessive skin color genes from both parents. Pretty rare but I figure that'd fall under the definition of African-American white male.

Langenator
August 18, 2004, 06:07 PM
Got a link to that story?

Ewok
August 18, 2004, 07:04 PM
Here's one from before the sale: http://www.cpubco.com/cgi-bin/LiveIQue.acgi$rec=17466cbgCurrentLocalNews?cbgCurrentLocalNews

State Police to hold gun sale

Seeking buyers for surplus weapons

by Brian Farkas

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

CHARLESTON -- Surplus shotguns, sniper rifles and a couple of machine guns go on sale next month as the West Virginia State Police cleans out its weapons locker.

The sale to licensed dealers marks the first time in years the agency has decided to let it's older weapons go to the highest bidders, State Police Lt. Col. Dave Williams said Thursday.

"Some of the previous governors weren't excited about State Police turning loose some of their weapons," Williams said. "We just took this opportunity."

The State Police cannot sell weapons that have been used as evidence. They are either returned to their owners or are destroyed.

For sale on Aug. 5 are weapons past their service lives and those that were given to the agency.

Among the 41 weapons are 20 12-gauge shotguns and 14 .308-caliber bolt-action sniper rifles with scopes. Also for sale are a Norinco machine gun, two Cobray machine guns, an Uzi pistol and three Uzi semiautomatics.

Only holders of Class 3 firearms permits or Class 2 manufacturers can bid on the machine guns and Uzis.

The machine guns and Uzis were given to the State Police by a gun collector who was convicted of a felony.

"The shotguns on the list are State Police weapons we have replaced," he said. "The stocks are cracked. They are past their service life ... but if you're a hunter or something like that you can repair the weapon and they can be in operation."

The sniper rifles are being sold because the agency's sniper teams have received upgraded models.

"A lot of deer hunters would probably be interested," Williams said.

The weapons will be sold through the state's surplus property division by sealed bid. Dealers have until 2 p.m. on Aug. 5 to submit their bids. The weapons can be inspected at surplus property's Dunbar office between Aug. 2 and Aug. 4.

So far, the division has received two bids, said Ken Fry, the division's manager.

"I think these guns may bring in some significant revenue for the State Police," Fry said.

Money from the sale will go into the State Police's equipment fund.

Ewok
August 18, 2004, 07:42 PM
http://www.officer.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=15761

Updated: August 6th, 2004 09:37:22 AM

Bids Opened for 41 West Virginia Police Surplus Weapons

Associated Press

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) -- The West Virginia State Police has received 32 bids from gun dealers for surplus shotguns, sniper rifles and a couple of machine guns from its weapons locker.

The sealed bids were opened Thursday. Results of the auction will be made official next week after the bids are reviewed and backgrounds of bidders are checked to ensure that none fall into the wrong hands. All bidders must be federally registered Class 3 firearms dealers or Class 2 manufacturers.

"To get those type of licenses, they go through a pretty extensive background investigation," State Police Lt. Col. Dave Williams told The Charleston Gazette for Friday's edition. "They cannot transfer those weapons to anyone who has less than those licenses either."

Williams said most bidders are gun collectors, who have the money and the background that allows them to purchase restricted weapons.

Among the guns for sale were 20 12-gauge shotguns, 14 .308-caliber bolt-action sniper rifles with scopes, a Norinco machine gun, two Cobray machine guns, an Uzi pistol and three Uzi semiautomatics.

"There's no way that the average citizen could purchase one of these weapons," he said. "It would be illegal for them to purchase the weapon. It would be illegal for them to possess the weapon."

Ashland, Ky.-based gun dealers Richard Mead and Mick Sylvester bid on some machine guns up for sale. Sylvester said machine guns are a rare commodity and usually get a 30 percent annual return on investment. That's much better and more reliable than the stock market, he said.

The sale marks the first time in years that State Police sold their older weapons to the highest bidders. Money from the sale will go into the State Police's equipment fund.

The State Police cannot sell weapons that have been used as evidence. They are returned to their owners or destroyed. The weapons up for sale were past their service lives or given to the agency.

A gun collector who was convicted of a felony gave the machine guns and Uzis to the State Police.

Ewok
August 18, 2004, 07:44 PM
"There's no way that the average citizen could purchase one of these weapons," he said. "It would be illegal for them to purchase the weapon. It would be illegal for them to possess the weapon."
:rolleyes:

neoncowboy
August 18, 2004, 08:17 PM

Actually, Sen. Kerry's wife is a white, African-American
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/2/24/121520.shtml

..or so she would have African-Americans think of her. Yeah right.

Langenator
August 19, 2004, 08:15 AM
So it would seem that the bolt action .308 sniper rifles are actual sniper rifles. Not just some anti writer calling somebody's scoped Rem700 deer rifle (seized because Bubba got drunk and smacked his wife) a sniper rifle to make it sound evil.

If you enjoyed reading about "State Police surplus weapons sales nets about $41,000" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!