How do you determine sale price of your arms?

PDA

Skunkabilly
February 19, 2003, 03:03 AM
? I see the blue books but they don't seem to reflect what I see most people selling their stuff for.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you determine sale price of your arms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
redneck2
February 19, 2003, 06:50 AM
is the best "Guide" I've seen, and usually pretty accurate, though this might be a self-fulfilling prophecy as many people use it

People can ask whatever they want. Doesn't mean it's worth it. Then again, a gun (or anything else for that matter) is worth what someone's willing to pay.

Also, regional differences come into play. I know some stuff brings a lot more in Kali because of the bans. Don't have to deal with that here in Indiana

4570Rick
February 19, 2003, 07:09 AM
I have a simple rule for pricing my guns for sale.

If you offer enogh money to make me giggle and squeel like a little girl, the gun is yours.:neener:

I haven't squeeled yet.:D

Kahr carrier
February 19, 2003, 07:43 AM
I usually dont sell, but if I do I check the Blue book and then the shops for similar guns to see what the going prices are.:D

MonkeyMan
February 19, 2003, 08:50 AM
Easy, I pick a number between 1 and 9 and then add a whole bunch of zeroes to it. My gun collecting philosophy is:

In addition to, not instead of.:D

I do like the "squeal like a little girl" idea though:p

But I'm not holding my breath.

BigG
February 19, 2003, 09:22 AM
Shotgun News gives you a fair idea of current prices. Compare that to what you see at gunshows. if you can attend them somewhat regularly you will soon be pretty conversant with prices in general. Blue Book is good mainly for finding out about some obscure model that you aren't too familiar with. It's not always the best guide to pricing but it's another tool in your kit.

Tamara
February 19, 2003, 09:33 AM
Tarot cards and tea leaves. :)

The Blue Book is a decent tool, but it can be way off on some things. It helps to keep an eye on the market, not only asking prices, but selling prices. (It also helps to have an area you specialize in; I can tell you all about going rates on S&W wheelguns, but I haven't a clue about what pre-WWII Czech pistols are selling for these days. ;) )

Soap
February 19, 2003, 09:56 AM
As with anything of subjective value: just keep your ear to the streets.

1badmagnum
February 19, 2003, 10:18 AM
I really prefer to buy firearms for life,But I feel selling a used firearm for less than what you paid would be fair,depending on the original cost.or you could possibly use pawn shop tactics and charge more than new retail,and let it sit in your window all year.:banghead: :cuss: :fire: :uhoh:

foghornl
February 19, 2003, 10:19 AM
Simple. I don't sell.

New_comer
February 19, 2003, 10:33 AM
If I were to sell my guns (which I definitely won't! :D), I'd post it in a bidding forum/site.

I'll tag it at a ridiculously low price, but I'd have to set my "sell" point or reserve limit at a price I won't feel shortchanged (which the bidders won't know, of course).

Then watch how the buying public reacts to my item.

Only then will I know for certain the fair price of my guns... ;)

Swamp Yankee
February 19, 2003, 10:57 AM
The Blue book is a good place to start. It will at least tell you if the particular model is sought after, made in a limited number, or has any collectible value.
From there, check some local shops and get a feel for what used firearms are selling for in your area. Check prices on new guns of the same model. If your selling used there is the old rule of thumb used guns should be priced between 2/3 and 3/4 of selling price of new.
One website I find really helpful is www.ktpguns.com
This allows you to browse the Kittery Trading Post's extensive selection of used firearms. Condition is listed with the price. This will give you a decent reference point.
Most important, remember gun prices vary greatly by area. Pre- list handguns in Mass. are typically priced for over $100 than here in Ct.
Take Care

Redlg155
February 19, 2003, 01:52 PM
and squeel like a little girl

Wish I could find someone to pay me that much! Most places, especially gunshops in my area will have you "squeal like a pig". If I go into a gunshop to sell mine I'll wear a name tag "Ned B.". :D

I do most of my selling by looking at internet prices and with private individuals.

Good Shooting
Red

Chipperman
February 19, 2003, 02:00 PM
I don't sell any of my guns, but if I were to...

1. Check Blue Book
2. Check local gun shops
3. Check Gunsamerica.com
4. Check Gunbroker.com and Auctionarms.com
5. Check the local Want Ads
6. Check Shotgun News

Number 1 should tell you what it's "supposed" to be worth.

2 and 5 should tell you local prices, because they may vary considerably depending on local laws.

3,4, and 6 will tell you what the average across the country is.

Average all of these together, and triple it. That should be your selling price (you didn't really want to sell it anyway, did you?).
:D

45R
February 19, 2003, 02:01 PM
I base it on worth. What would I pay for a gun like this, with a specific round count, that has been well taken care. Look on various forums to see what people would be willing to pay for then post accordingly base on the area.

coonan357
February 19, 2003, 03:58 PM
when lack of funds got me last year ( Unemployment ) I had to part with one of the kids , My friend at the shop said he would rather loan me the money than to buy my firearm back because of the loss I will encounter, I told him i would rather sell it than owe a friend money as I didn't know how long it would be before I would be back to work . he gave me 80% of new asking price for a used firearm I purchased from him a year earlier , shot it only 6 times since I owned it , I cleaned it up better than when I bought it , and installed some better sights on it ( had those laying around in a box of stuff I bought at a garage sale , so no money outlay ) he thought he was going to sit on this gun for a month , he had it sold in 2 hours to someone looking for the same type of gun , he only made 10 dollars on the deal .

grampster
February 19, 2003, 04:37 PM
Price of my arms would depend on whether you wanted the hands too.:neener: :D

blades67
February 19, 2003, 07:08 PM
Retail plus a usage fee.:neener: :evil:

twoblink
February 19, 2003, 10:12 PM
My guns are usually in better condition then when I first bought it..

So when I sell, I sell for what I bought it for, straight across.. almost every gun I own, has a trigger job or something done to it that's not cosmetic, but adds to the guns accuracy..

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you determine sale price of your arms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!