PDA

fastball
August 19, 2004, 05:59 PM
Do I need to "log in" on each visit to post a reply?? My old password was not approved today and I have a new one, no problem with that, but I was out of state for three weeks and now things seemed to have changed. I am a regestered member and visit just about every day but do not post often. Thanks for a great site.---T. Soutter

If you enjoyed reading about "log in" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
August 19, 2004, 07:52 PM
You shouldn't have to login when you come back if you didn't logout when you left. If you find yourself automatically logged out, then it sounds like something is wrong with your cookie. First of all, be sure you are allowing cookies. Then manually delete all THR cookies. That is, all files in the cookies directory that contain the word "thehighroad". If you just delete the current cookie by logging out, that usually leaves behind stale cookies that are often the cause of problems like you are seeing. That should fix it the next time you login.

Now, you said "my old password was not approved today". What do you mean by that? Passwords on THR don't grow old. Assuming you remembered the correct password, it should always be "approved".

fastball
August 20, 2004, 09:07 AM
Mal--Thanks for your reply. Old password "fiveby" was rejected. Don't have a clue why, but tried it several times. All is well this morning as to log in and new password is fine by me. Thanks again.--tom soutter

Mal H
August 20, 2004, 09:24 AM
Interesting. About the only reason a password would be rejected is if you entered it incorrectly. Capitalization counts with passwords, maybe that was the cause?

fastball
August 20, 2004, 09:48 AM
Mal--don't know. I only tried with no caps. I am sure that I did something wrong, but what I don't know. I am now useing my name. if I screw that up, I will go back to TV. One more thing, I have posted some test pictures on the site maintaince site "Test the Software" and then tried to delete my own posts and found that I could not. Is that something I was doing wrong or is that a feature of the test site?? A couple of times the pictures were so large (my fault there, for sure) that I wanted them off. [Name removed for security purposes.]

Mal H
August 20, 2004, 10:19 AM
True, sort of. You can't delete any posts in any forum, not just the test forum. If you need to delete the text, most members simply edit the post and replace it with a period. If a moderator sees this, they will usually delete the post for you.

Back to your password. If I understand you correctly, you are using your name as your password? Bad idea. You do realize that anyone, including "guests" can now login to THR as you. I would change it ASAP to a random set of characters - and write it down exactly as you entered it.

fastball
August 20, 2004, 10:46 AM
Thanks, Mal. It is my name, but not as in Tom Soutter. It should be secure as I have modified it to password configuration. And, nobody would WANT to be me, anyway. I wanted "luckydog" for site name, but some other "lucky" guy had it. That is my S&W forum name. As in " shot twice, icepicked, slashed and more broken bones than I care to remember." You might recall the old joke. Lost Dog--1 eye, three legs, broken tail, chewed ears, answers to "Lucky". --- Tom

If you enjoyed reading about "log in" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!