You guys are searching the Internet all wrong...NO GOOGLE!

PDA

Drjones
February 19, 2003, 02:28 AM
Just finished reading another thread about Google and their anti-gun stance.

Guys, there IS more than one internet search engine, ya know!

Seriously, STOP USING GOOGLE.

It is FAR easier to use the built-in search function in IE.

All you do is type whatever word into the address bar and hit enter.

Example: You want to search "Colt 1911." Delete whatever is in the search bar (or hit F6, which highlights everything, then just start typing) and hit "enter."

Done.

I actually think the Microsoft search engine is one of the best, if not the best. I ALWAYS find what I'm looking for with it.

www.ask.com is another good one, but again, I almost always get what I need off of the MSN search.

Another cool tip: if you want to go to, say, www.intel.com , hit "F6" which highlights the address bar, then type "intel"

Hit "ctrl" and "enter" at the same time.

Presto! It does the "www." and ".com" for you!!!

:D

Drjones

If you enjoyed reading about "You guys are searching the Internet all wrong...NO GOOGLE!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nightcrawler
February 19, 2003, 02:35 AM
Think of it this way. Google is free. If you use Google, but don't click on any of their banners, you're using their bandwidth without adding to their advertising dollars. That's prettymuch sticking it to them, I think. It's like installing Linux on an X-Box...

Drjones
February 19, 2003, 02:38 AM
Hmmm...good point, but I think its better to point out that the only search engine advertisers care about are those that get traffic.

NO internet site is any use if no one visits it.

The less people that use Google, the less inclined advertisers will be to advertise there.

If you were selling a product, would you want your advertisement to be on the front page, or buried in the back in tiny print?

MitchSchaft
February 19, 2003, 02:39 AM
Microsoft's search engine doesn't hold a candle to Google. You can even download a Google toolbar and it'll act just like the one built into IE.

Jim March
February 19, 2003, 03:04 AM
DO NOT download the google toolbar! It has two frightening characteristics:

1) It reports back to base on what you're up to...where you've been, what searches you've done, linked to your IP addy.

2) It's auto-self-updating code, without asking you first. So you don't know what the hell it'll do tomorrow.

Using google (without clicking on paid commercial links!) is one thing. That toolbar though is a damn nightmare.

bedlamite
February 19, 2003, 08:22 AM
You guys need to get Copernic Agent (http://www.copernic.com/). I haven't used anything else since I found out about it. It's free, configurable, uses several online search engines simultaneously, and stores all your previous searches for future refrence.

Rovert
February 19, 2003, 08:29 AM
Jim, I wasn't aware of the characteristics of the Google toolbar. I do usually read the disclosure statement carefully, and I don't remember anything that was of concern to me. Can you elaborate on this a bit more? What about the toolbar is any different than what they track by using their page? Once it's installed, can it be uninstalled? As I recall, it was simply an ActiveX component, right?

Sean Cloherty
February 19, 2003, 08:40 AM
Even better than Google -

http://vivisimo.com.

Better interface
Better Links
Better organized results
Searches other search engines too.

gun-fucious
February 19, 2003, 10:27 AM
Teoma
http://www.teoma.com

Teoma is a crawler-based search engine owned by Ask Jeeves. It has a smaller index of the web than its rival crawler-competitors Google, AllTheWeb.com, Inktomi and AltaVista. However, being large doesn't make much of a difference when it comes to popular queries, and Teoma's won praise for its relevancy since it appeared in 2000. Some people also like its "Refine" feature, which offers suggested topics to explore after you do a search. The "Resources" section of results is also unique, pointing users to page that specifically serve as link resources about various topics. Teoma was purchased by Ask Jeeves in September 2001 and also provides some results to that web site.

http://searchenginewatch.com/links/

BenW
February 19, 2003, 10:46 AM
Uh, isn't Microsoft just as anti-gun as Google?

NewShooter78
February 19, 2003, 10:57 AM
I don't use the Google website, but I've been using iwon.com for the last couple of years, and not too long ago they imbedded google as their search engine. I really don't like using because of what I've learned about them here, but the only other search engine that I like is on msn.com and I've actually been using it but I don't think its as good as a google search.

segpiledriver
February 19, 2003, 11:12 AM
Try www.hotsheet.com Scroll down until you get to "Search Portal" Then click on whatever you choose. I used Dogpile for years. It searches a dozen or so search engines at once. Plus, Hotsheet has links for other search engines.

I have to agree with BenW, MicroSoft is very anti-gun from what I have read.

DeltaElite
February 19, 2003, 11:38 AM
Google is run by the Iraq and North Korea..... BEWARE.....:neener:

Seriously, who isn't anti gun anymore. Damn liberal country. :banghead:

CZ-75
February 19, 2003, 11:43 AM
Dontcha think that most of the folks in Silicon Valley, probably after spending time at Stanford's comp sci and engineering departments and being indoctrinated therein, are anti-gun?

Six of one....

I say don't support site advertisers of those avowedly anti.

kidcoltoutlaw
February 19, 2003, 11:44 AM
check the groups google is full of gun stuff.

Blackhawk
February 19, 2003, 11:46 AM
Well, somebody DID mention Colt 1911, but considering this on topic is still a stretch....

1badmagnum
February 19, 2003, 12:19 PM
nothing beats google.I hate getting the find bullets now at barnes and noble.com garbage.this is once case where function beats form.

Bartholomew Roberts
February 19, 2003, 12:21 PM
Those of you who are boycotting Google for not accepting gun ads are also boycotting all newspapers, magazines, television and radio outlets that also don't take gun ads, right?

45R
February 19, 2003, 12:37 PM
Nice tips on the control + Enter. :)
I never use the google website anyways. Though the Yahoo search engine runs off google.

QKRTHNU
February 19, 2003, 12:49 PM
If you look at the options on the Google tool bar it will clearly tell you that there are privacy issues if you use the Advanced Features. So turn those off and it's not a problem.

I love the Google Toolbar. The best feature IMHO is the highlighting. Half the time I'm not even searching the web, just highlighting key words I'm interrested in on a site. And even if you don't highlight the words it works like the find feature in IE. except its easier, just click on the word in the toolbar and it will goto the next instance of that word on the page.

I use it all the time while searching TFL/THR.

Felonious Monk
February 19, 2003, 01:40 PM
Confucious say:

Many roads there are, but all lead to one destination.

Copernic and teoma are the best besides Google.
ixquick is really good, too.

BTW, sometimes I search on Gun-related topics when I use said search engines. :cool:

MMcCall
February 19, 2003, 02:11 PM
I have to agree with BenW, MicroSoft is very anti-gun from what I have read.

You could have at least tried to be factual with your first post :p

Not only is Microsoft NOT anti-gun, they sponsor a company shooting team at Weapons Safety, Inc. in Bellevue. Pretty cool guys, too.

Carlos Cabeza
February 19, 2003, 02:25 PM
There are hundreds of search engines. You can even search for "search engines" in your search engine.:D It gets a bit mind numbing at times when always faced with the who's who of
anti 2nd amendment tripe.........:rolleyes: I just try to do my best. Yeah Dr. Jones, hot keys are way cool......:cool:

segpiledriver
February 19, 2003, 02:42 PM
well Mmcall, i am not going to sit here and do research just so you can have the "facts". YOUR facts, MY facts, the facts of the guy two towns over, the facts of the lady on the second floor of 119 main st., anytown, usa.?? i simply said "from what i have read" and no, i don't have every single piece of information i have ever read in my 35 years readily available at my fingertips so you can have the facts you want. did you know that "facts" are always slanted in favor of the guy doing the study? its called advertising/marketing. again, that is why i said "from what i have read" i didnt say bill gates knocked on my door last nite and told me he could give two pieces of monkey poop about the 2nd amendment, now did i? :D but hey, if i take your "facts" to be "truth", then i learned something i didn't know about microsofts gun team, so....thanks for the insight. ;) and don't expect me to be backing up any more posts with facts, i came here for discussion, not a legal course ( i work for a d.a.) just wanted to add my .02
stephen

Jim March
February 19, 2003, 04:12 PM
Here's one early report on the toolbar:

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-249711.html?legacy=cnet

More:

http://www.compukiss.com/populartopics/research_infohtm/review55.htm

On auto-updating:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum80/43.htm - pay attention to the various comments here. Some of these guys run firewall S/W like Zonealarm, restrictive IE settings and others and Google's toolbar just skips right by 'em.

MitchSchaft
February 19, 2003, 04:16 PM
Well, Bill Gates gave a LOT of money to a group of anti-gunners to get an anti-gun bill enacted up in Washington State.

Who said something about facts?:scrutiny:

Guntalk
February 19, 2003, 04:28 PM
If you install the Google Tool Bar, then UNINSTALL it, it asks why.

I sent them this.

"Your decision to refuse to accept advertising from the HIGHLY REGULATED and legal firearms industry is the reason I will now use other search engines, and will encourage others to do so."

BenW
February 19, 2003, 09:50 PM
Well, Bill Gates gave a LOT of money to a group of anti-gunners to get an anti-gun bill enacted up in Washington
Yes, my understanding is Bill Gates gives a great deal of money to anti-gun causes. I have always linked this with his company. If Microsoft is indeed not of the same political beliefs as its founder, and supports shooters, then I will stand corrected.

Ryder
February 20, 2003, 12:30 AM
Wisenut (http://www.wisenut.com)

Been using ^^^ that as a search engine for months now. No advertising, popups, or other garbage. Haven't had any trouble locating anything and it's the only search engine I've used since I found it.

I've been running an OPERA browser for longer than that. It's a little different than other browsers but similar enough that it's easy to figure out and use. It has some functionalities you won't find on the other browsers. I especially like the ability to ZOOM the current view. It holds resolution very well during zoom. Fantastic for examining miniature details of pictures, or puffing up the text on web pages with fine print. Negates the need for reading glasses to use the computer. No more saving a picture to the hard drive in order to zoom in using another program.

dude
February 20, 2003, 02:06 AM
You Microsoft sheep worry about suck trivial things......while we happy Apple folks just use our built-in Sherlock feature that is faster and better than any 'giggle' search engine.............but keep on thinking you have it better than us as we don’t mind.

If y’all had Sherlock like us, you would never have to put up with a so-called ‘search engine’ again.

be well (sheep)

SteyrAUG
February 20, 2003, 02:11 AM
Just one problem, Microsoft is as anti gun as Google and AOL.

If you are 100% against supporting any company that has any kind of anti gun stance whatsoever you are gonna have to turn off your computer, discontinue your internet service, shoot your tv, drive your car off a cliff and burn your house down.

It is a safe bet that the only thing you own that doesn't have some kind of anti gun affiliation is your dog.

Schuey2002
February 20, 2003, 02:19 AM
My dogs are giving me that look like.. "Your not gonna' shoot us are you??" LOL!:D

MitchSchaft
February 20, 2003, 02:31 AM
lol:neener:

The Nip
February 20, 2003, 07:50 AM
Sometimes....symbolic measures such as this go too far. Just my opinion, which isn't worth much, anyway.

I like Google, I find it much more effective than other search engines, and I'm going to continue using it. If it connects me with more information, allowing me to present a better case in the interest of firearms (and find boards such as THR) then the benefits outweight the negatives.

NIP

BenW
February 20, 2003, 10:57 AM
You Microsoft sheep worry about suck trivial things
Compared to Apple, Microsoft is an NRA life member.:D

anchored
February 20, 2003, 03:06 PM
I musta missed something. What was it Google did that was anti-gun?

And, I'll second the opinion on Copernic Agent, its great, although its not a search engine itself, it goes to a bunch of search engines and combines the results.

larryw
February 20, 2003, 03:35 PM
Anchored, apparently, Google won't accept gun related advertsising, and that makes them anit-. I guess the 1911 Forum's prohibition on posting guns for sale makes them anti- too.

But my search of "shooting" on Google yesterday gave me many pages of gun related content, google run gun forums, plus an ad for Rifleman Magazine.

braindead0
February 20, 2003, 03:49 PM
Use google along with Proximitron and you will never see any of the ads, the ad banners are never downloaded and you can turn off just about everything else as well.

If advertisers want to pay Google based on hits to their main page, as opposed to banner downloads, that's not my problem.

thumbtack
February 20, 2003, 05:20 PM
I know the Microsft Gun Club raised about $200,000. for the NRA.

If you enjoyed reading about "You guys are searching the Internet all wrong...NO GOOGLE!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!