How do I make my Mosin Nagant louder?

PDA

wasrjoe
August 19, 2004, 10:55 PM
Yes, this is a serious question. I want to get a M-N for a fun gun - don't worry, I'll nab one without historical value. I want to throw a muzzle break on the thing, because that makes it louder and more muzzle blasty, and the M-N is already loud and muzzle blasty so louder and more muzzle blasty must be cooler.

Anyhow, where can I nab a decent muzzle break for a M-N? What other neat doodads (besides a megaphone or some such thing) would make my M-N louder and sexier?

If you enjoyed reading about "How do I make my Mosin Nagant louder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hillbilly
August 19, 2004, 11:02 PM
Well, you could just holler BANG! as loud as you can when you pull that thing's trigger.....

hillbilly

Third_Rail
August 19, 2004, 11:05 PM
Just buy an M-44 and chop the barrel waaayyy back to 16".....

Then use HOT ammo. :D

Omni04
August 19, 2004, 11:06 PM
i installed an air horn on mine

G.I.Jew
August 20, 2004, 12:08 AM
put a big cone on the end of it...it will act like a megaphone!

Okiecruffler
August 20, 2004, 12:12 AM
Shoot it without your shirt on, holding the butt about 2 inches in front of your shoulder, that'll add some noise.

Hkmp5sd
August 20, 2004, 12:23 AM
Drive a wooden dowel into the muzzle. That should make for a loud bang. :)

Sunray
August 20, 2004, 12:26 AM
"...so louder and more muzzle blasty must be cooler..." You're foolin' with us aren't you? Don't be daft. Some of us take shooting far more seriously than just making noise.

Okiecruffler
August 20, 2004, 12:33 AM
I don't know, you can be serious and still like making noise.

mustanger98
August 20, 2004, 01:09 AM
Drive a wooden dowel into the muzzle. That should make for a loud bang.

:what: :what: :what: :uhoh: :rolleyes:

Better hope he didn't take that one seriously.

RON in PA
August 20, 2004, 01:17 AM
You don't have to modify your Mosin, just shoot it without wearing hearing protection, especially inside your house. You'll enjoy the ringing in your ears before you go deaf and before the police cart you away.

natedog
August 20, 2004, 01:58 AM
Chop barrel to 16" :evil: . The blast on even standard M-44s is enough to shake the snow off a tin roof covering the firing positions at a range.

Wildalaska
August 20, 2004, 02:07 AM
1. Cut the barrel to 16 inches
2. Mill an expansion chamber to a depth of 4 inches from the muzzle, so that you have a 12 inch barrel and a 4 inch expansion chamber.
3. Mill a series of .30 inch holes though the expansion chamber..try spacing em one horizontal, one vertical, one horizontal and one vertical. That will direct the gases in a 360 degree direction so all your friends can share in the moment
4. Get some hot machine gun ammo
4. Touch one off. Enjoy!

WildyercrazyAlaska:D

natedog
August 20, 2004, 02:11 AM
I like WildAlaska's idea better :D .

Darkside
August 20, 2004, 09:03 AM
Oh, this one is too easy.

Send it to Bushmaster and have them install one of the Mini-Y muzzle brakes on it for you. Muzzle blast with that thing is horrorible in 223, Don't want to think of what it would be like in 7.62R.

Do you have something against your neighbors, in the next county????:D

Darkside

Mal H
August 20, 2004, 09:04 AM
What I'd like to know is why you want to break your muzzle?

;)

Chipperman
August 20, 2004, 12:17 PM
Wild Alaska left off one step:

Have an unlit cigar in your mouth that gets flamed when you drop the hammer. :fire:

Nathanael_Greene
August 20, 2004, 01:48 PM
Shoot it without your shirt on, holding the butt about 2 inches in front of your shoulder, that'll add some noise.

What does a snapping collarbone sound like, anyway?

Nevermind; I'm not that curious.

Cosmoline
August 20, 2004, 01:57 PM
I remember back on TFL years ago someone posted a picture of a 91/30 that had its stock cut down to a pistol grip and its barrel cut down to about 10" It was apparently a favorite tool of the Russian mob, and would be used to blow victims inside out at point blank range.

But I say just use an M-38 or M-44. They're plenty impressive in the kaboom department.

Ohen Cepel
August 20, 2004, 02:02 PM
I think WildAlaska had the 90% solution.

Only can add:
5. Buy an 86 Yugo, duct tape all doors and windows air tight
6. Crawl into Yugo, have buddy tape up entry hole
7. Fire away:D
8. Repeat till nose/ears bleed
9. Have "buddy" take your deaf self to hospital

Omni04
August 20, 2004, 03:25 PM
sorry Ohen Cepel, you missed a step

4a. take up glass blowing as a hobby and create an exact replica of the weapon-in-question.

4b. use it

spin180
August 20, 2004, 06:48 PM
Not to be an ass...

But muzzle brakes don't make anything louder. They simply redirect the existing noise from a gunshot so that it is more noticeable to the shooter (or those nearby).

I know it's nitpicky, but I sometimes like to pick nits. :D

wasrjoe
August 21, 2004, 03:02 AM
1. Cut the barrel to 16 inches
2. Mill an expansion chamber to a depth of 4 inches from the muzzle, so that you have a 12 inch barrel and a 4 inch expansion chamber.
3. Mill a series of .30 inch holes though the expansion chamber..try spacing em one horizontal, one vertical, one horizontal and one vertical. That will direct the gases in a 360 degree direction so all your friends can share in the moment
4. Get some hot machine gun ammo
4. Touch one off. Enjoy!

WildyercrazyAlaska

Haha freakin' sweet. I dunno if I'll do ALL of that there... but I think I'ma do some choppin'. I already have an M38 so I am aware of how loud etc. they are.

There is something to be said for having your friends drop a load in their pants after you touch off a round.

WasriknowimcrazybutitsmorefunthansaneJoe

Jack19
August 21, 2004, 04:59 PM
Make it louder? Take your hearing protection off. (*)

(*) but don't blame me when you're deaf.

MagKnightX
August 21, 2004, 05:13 PM
A megaphone (at least to my understanding) amplifies sound not just through an electronic amplifier, but through a double-cone design. That's what that round thing in the middle of the megaphone is. The speaker is placed in the front of that, projects the sound, and then the sound is amplified by the longer cone distance, since it has basically a very long cone as opposed to two cones.

You could do this with a muzzle device. I accidentally put the cones reversed in the drawing, but the principal is sound:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/MagKnightX/menloud.gif

The problem with this design, of course, is that since it utilizes a baffle design, even though it is open and designed to amplify rather than dampen sound, it could be considered a silencer by the ATF.

Omni04
August 23, 2004, 12:34 AM
whoa! any way you can link me to where you downloaded paint shop pro? (cause i know gosu drawings like that don't come from MS-paint!)

If you enjoyed reading about "How do I make my Mosin Nagant louder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!