odd rifle on Gunsamerica

PDA

MLC
August 20, 2004, 04:09 PM
I ran a cross a sniper rifle in odd calibers (http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976500482.htm) .
Would you suppose the seller is using the the Desert Storm/Shield conflict to sell an oddity or would this actually have been employed in antipersonnel/anti-armor-materiel use?
I can see the 257 caliber being decent enough for sniping but the 416 is a wierd one.

If you enjoyed reading about "odd rifle on Gunsamerica" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mons meg
August 20, 2004, 04:21 PM
Maybe they wanted the .416 Rigby to take down feral camels at 500 yards?

:p

nbkky71
August 20, 2004, 06:48 PM
I think that he may have added the "Designed for Desert Storm, Desert Sheild, N.S.A /C.I.A Covert Operations" to add to it's appeal.

The rifle may very well been a prototype sniper rifle. However any rifle that is accepted for standard issue in the military must function at
every extreme, whether it be the desert, the jungle or the arctic.

Jake
August 20, 2004, 07:35 PM
"However any rifle that is accepted for standard issue in the military must function at every extreme, whether it be the desert, the jungle or the arctic."

So how did we end up with the M-16?

( Sorry. Couldn't resist that opening.)

MrMurphy
August 20, 2004, 08:19 PM
Generally speaking the standard sniping caliber is 7.62 Nato. If they want bigger, they go to .300 Win Mag (and they have). If they want bigger than that but smaller than .50, they use the .338 Lapua Magnum (several new sniper rifles out in that caliber) since it's very accurate and packs 2/3 of the power of the .50 out to 1,000+ yards from what I hear in a nearly-normal sized rifle.

Anything bigger than that it's .50 BMG. If they don't feel like doing a .50 job they whistle up a laser guided 500 pounder.

I've never heard of a sniper rifle in .416 Rigby, which if I remember right is generally a short to medium range heavy game cartridge.

Using African calibers for sniping went out with WW1 (and even then it was only for armor piercing stuff).

Gordon
August 22, 2004, 01:40 AM
I don't understand the 1-14" twist rate for the .257 Weatherby: that is only good for 60-85grain bullets. Maybe they only wanted fragments in less than 300 yard shots. My .258Super Condor (which is a .300H&H full length necked down & and improved)has a 1-8" twist and works with 120-200grain VLD bullets. It is very capable of 1 mile hits with enough velocity to still get expansion. The .416 Cheytach will do the same with a bigger bullet but with GOBS more recoil. Ad sounds hokey as the NSA don't do no sniping and never has-trust me!;)

Langenator
August 22, 2004, 10:51 AM
Anything bigger than that it's .50 BMG. If they don't feel like doing a .50 job they whistle up a laser guided 500 pounder.

Actually, if you can get an M1 or M2 into line of sight, you can have your choice of 120mm or 25mm, respectively.

The M242 Bushmaster with sabot ammo is accurate out to 2000m.

120mm sabot can hit tank sized targets at 4-5km.

If you enjoyed reading about "odd rifle on Gunsamerica" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!