Whats Your favorite Milsurp Rifle..

PDA

Wildalaska
August 21, 2004, 02:45 AM
Now listen...I dont want to know whats the best...that will turn this thread more heated than stories about cops tasering grandmas....

All I wanna know is,,,whats your fav milsurp rifle...and why....

For me, I like Swedish mausers and Lee Enfields..I also want an Arisaka, but its got to be unground...

Aint real turned on by 98s and Mosins...well Ifin I could find a pre revolutionary one that would be cool, but the rest....nope gimme a swede...

You?

WildinquiringmindswanttoknowAlaska

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats Your favorite Milsurp Rifle.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
White Horseradish
August 21, 2004, 02:59 AM
Mosin for me. I think it's mostly the historical baggage it carries. It is quite likely one was carried by my grandfather and is therefore part of the reason I exist.

I find the simplicity of design quite elegant mechanically speaking. Also, now that I have one and shot it a few times, I realized that it fits me quite well. I must be that average guy Colonel Mosin had in mind.

OTOH, I don't have a whole lot of experience with other milsurps besides the SKS. I may appreciate them more as I add some to my collection, but I doubt they will have as much personal meaning.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
August 21, 2004, 04:14 AM
I'm very partial to the Swedes myself. I've picked up a couple of M44's that the Incubii like to shoot more thanI do, but that doesn't slow me down on them.

I used to have a bunch of old P35's, and I had a few P38's.

I probably shoud buy more Garands now that the Greeks are here and seem to be better than I suspected.

Regards,
Rabbit.

pbhome71
August 21, 2004, 04:51 AM
I like SKS, and Mosin, mostly. There is something about them that I can't explain. I think I am one of the weired ones that like this type of sight.
I don't like 98's sight, and I don't actually care too much for the peep-sight.

Oh, they are cheap too. :)

-Pat

critter
August 21, 2004, 07:26 AM
M1's and M98's. There is NO END to the history of the 98's as there were >100 million made and used in most every country in the world for over 100 years. Lots of calibers, lots of configurations.

The M1 is just an AWSOME engineering design and played a BIG part in winning us a BIG war! Love 'em!

jefmad
August 21, 2004, 07:35 AM
It would have to be the Enfield for me. I have a No4 Mk2 that was unissued and is so pretty I have a hard time not opening up the safe and looking at it every day. Love that rifle.

threeseven
August 21, 2004, 08:06 AM
I'd have to say Lee Enfields of all varieties.

For me it's the design, and how smooth the action is. Not to mention the fact my grandfather carried one and my country carried them off to war twice.

No4Mk1
August 21, 2004, 08:19 AM
I think my username should justify that I'm not jumping on the bandwagon when I too claim the Enfield to be my favorite. The No4 family just seems to be the slickest, best balanced, overall shooter I have ever known. Some say they aren't inherently as accurate as other rifles, but for some reason they just seem to always drop dead on target for me. Perhaps not the tightest groups off the bench, but shooting off hand I can't find a better shooting rifle. And for the money you can't even touch it with anything modern!

threeseven
August 21, 2004, 08:59 AM
For the Lee Enfield fans, some pieces from my collection. Click the images for full-size.

http://www.planetquake.com/runbob/ns/11/tn/no1mkIII01_tn.jpg (http://www.planetquake.com/runbob/ns/11/no1mkIII01.jpg) http://www.planetquake.com/runbob/ns/no4/tn/no4mk101_tn.jpg (http://www.planetquake.com/runbob/ns/no4/no4mk101.jpg) http://www.planetquake.com/runbob/ns/img/tn/heavysmle_tn.jpg (http://www.planetquake.com/runbob/ns/img/heavysmle.jpg) http://darkminds.com/~drake/junk/p14deck_tn.jpg (http://darkminds.com/~drake/junk/p14deck.jpg)

From left to right:[list=1]
1928 Lithgow Lee Enfield No. 1 MkIII w/ my grandfathers Pattern '07 bayonet
1944 Maltby Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk I w/ Mk I spike bayonet
1916 Lithgow Heavy SMLE 'Bitser'
Winchester Pattern '14 w/ Pattern '13 bayonet
[/list=1]
I also have a 1945 Fazakerly No. 5 Mk I Jungle Carbine and a 1916 R.S.A.F (Royal Small Arms Factory, Enfield) Lee Enfield No. 1 MkIII*, but unfortunately no pictures of these ones at the moment.

rbernie
August 21, 2004, 09:45 AM
Swedes and Mark4No1 on the bolt side. Swedes for their mechanical purity, lack of excess (excess noice/flash/recoil), and damn fine accuracy - SMLE No4Mk1 for it's capacity, punch, balance, and superb sights.

On the self-loader side - Garands and SKS's. The Garand has a history that is very compelling (besides being a superb autoloader) and the SKS is simple a reliable, inexpensive, reasonably accurate truck/brush gun.

If I had to pick only one - it'd probaly be the SMLE.

Onmilo
August 21, 2004, 09:54 AM
The Lee Enfield #4Mk2 or the K-98 Mauser or the Mosin Nagant 91/30.
My nod goes to the Enfield only because it served on our side.
These rifles were the last of the bolt action battle rifles ever issue enmasse.

MrMurphy
August 21, 2004, 09:58 AM
My Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk1 was my very first rifle, so you know where I pick on that score. The Mauser 98 is right behind it, and the M1 on the self loading side. The FAL as well. :)

41mag
August 21, 2004, 09:59 AM
While I don't think that I've a family connection,I too like the 91/30 best.I love the history.The whole Czar/Bolshevik/World War I era facinates me.

From a purely technical standpoint my favorite is a K-31.It is just sooo smoothly different.(I think the stock is a club but,oh well;) )

bernie
August 21, 2004, 10:00 AM
I am an M1 Rifle guy. The engineering was way ahead of its time, and it is still a perfectly fine arm. It is substantial, accurate, and shoots a round with some oomph!

R.H. Lee
August 21, 2004, 10:32 AM
Never owned a Swede Mauser, but always admired them, I've heard good things about the 6.5x55 round's long range capabilities. My only milsurp experience is with the 1903 Springfield, 1917 Enfield, M1Garand, and SKS. Favorite is the 1917 Enfield. :)

Langenator
August 21, 2004, 10:36 AM
The SKS is probably the most fun to shoot, low recoil and dirt cheap ammo.

I really love the K-31 when it comes to bolt guns.

Art Eatman
August 21, 2004, 10:39 AM
As "leave-alones" to shoot, stare at or fondle, I like the '03, the 1917 Enfield, and the M1. I grew up with them--and the smell of Hoppes #9. :)

I like the Mauser 98 action as the basis for a custom sporter...

Art

Steve in PA
August 21, 2004, 10:47 AM
M1 Garand.....without a doubt.

Next, will be the 1903's..........after that, hmmmmm......I'd probably go with the K-98.

I already have one M1 Garand, a 1903A3 is next on my list....then we'll see where I go from there.

BryanP
August 21, 2004, 10:55 AM
I guess I'm not a historical accuracy kinda guy. I only own one milsurp, a Mauser 98K (Czech vz.24) that has been rebarelled to .308 and reblued.

I was very close to buying a No.4 Mk 1 Enfield recently but just couldn't justify it to myself based on other considerations right now. If it's still sitting there at the next gun show I may not be able to resist.

Marshall
August 21, 2004, 11:22 AM
I'm a US M1 carbine kind of guy myself.

http://www.adamsguns.com/591.jpg

Malamute
August 21, 2004, 11:24 AM
Lee Enfield No 1 MK III * It's a BSA made in 1915. The bore was a bit rough, but I put a brand new South African barrel on it.

Lot of fun to shoot out to 300-400 yards. Amazing what these old guns can do at long range. We mostly shoot at rocks etc. The Lee Enfields also carry nicely, you can actually get your hand around it at the balance point.

Someday I'd like to build an early Lee Enfield into a British sporting rifle, similar to the one Val Kilmer used in "The Ghost and the Darkness".

I guess I have some attraction to these guns because of my Scot-Irish-Welsh-English ancestry, tho when my people came over it was Brown Bess days or earlier.

Okiecruffler
August 21, 2004, 12:17 PM
Mosins in general, and a certain 1953 Hungarian M44 in particular. Maybe because it was my first, maybe because it never fails to shoot 1.5MOA, but probably because sometime long ago someone took the time to crudely carve "K.F." into the stock.

Feanaro
August 21, 2004, 12:42 PM
I'll play the odd man out and pick a 98-pattern Mauser, specifically my M48A. I like the heft, the balance and the feel. I shoot it well, the sights are adequate, the action is smooth, and it is very reliable. And I like bent bolts. I also like the M1 Garand(Though unfortunately I haven't had much experiance with it), possibly more than the Mauser, and might be adding one to my collection.

Mosins are nice but they don't balance well for me, the stock is a little awkward and I don't like straight bolts. The sights are better than the Mauser's, certainly. I don't have much experiance with the Lee but they do cycle fast. The No4's sights are possibly the best of the mil-surps. Don't like rimmed ammunition though. The '03 never did anything for me... overly complicated. Especially the sights.

WhoKnowsWho
August 21, 2004, 12:44 PM
I'm not sure yet, I am leaning toward my K-31 simply from how it feels so far.

But I still like the Garand a lot simply because of the "ping!"

Hkmp5sd
August 21, 2004, 02:00 PM
The 1903A3.

Sactown
August 21, 2004, 02:02 PM
M1 Garand followed by the Enfield No4 Mk2

Pumpkinheaver
August 21, 2004, 04:32 PM
FnFAL/L1A1 it was the first one I ever owned and I fell in love with the design.

30Cal
August 21, 2004, 04:56 PM
I like the M1903, straight grip, finger-groove stock.

fallingblock
August 22, 2004, 08:02 PM
After the Australian government mandated no semi-autos.:mad:

It is an easily operated and smooth bolt action rifle,
with generally a pretty good trigger and great sights.

One of the guys in the club just bought a K-31 Swiss

(they're A$550 here:eek: )

and it is very nicely made and accurate.

rust collector
August 22, 2004, 08:26 PM
I love my Carl Gustav M96 and Husqvarna M38 swedes, but picked up 3 K-31s lately and they are great fun too. The SKS is my goodwill gun, especially for youngsters and friends who haven't shot much and might have trouble with more recoil.

Haven't shot the M44s yet, but expect mighty flash and report. They are a bit crude on the exterior, but should still be fun.

Pilgrim
August 22, 2004, 08:36 PM
I have a M-1917 rifle in my safe that I treasure. Mainly because that is the model rifle my father shot expert with when he was in the Army from 1943-1945.

Pilgrim

mephisto
August 23, 2004, 12:16 AM
these

August 23, 2004, 12:38 AM
This topic comes up quite frequently. I always participate and usually post a different answer than the last time.
I really like the old milsurp rifles. I have a pretty rounded out collection, but the milsurp rifles are my faviorites (at least this week). I probably own most of the popular ones and have multiple copies of the ones I like the best. I am also fortunate enough to have local matches using the old rifles, so I get to wring them out at long range under match conditions.
Currently, my faviorite is the 1903A3 rifle. At present, I only own one (that will soon change) but it is a real shooter. I finally won a local match with it last weekend. Second would have to be the M1 rifle. I really don't know what it is about the M1, but I really enjoy them. Next would probably be the K31. Yesterday, I might not have placed it at #3, but just before I read this thread I was sitting here watching a movie and dry firing one of my K31s. I used it in the local matches for a couple years. I would rate it as the best buy of all the milsurp rifles out there unless you found a real bargin.
I called off work tomorrow so I wouldn't miss my shipment from the CMP: another 1903. :D

BamBam-31
August 23, 2004, 03:38 AM
Garand. It was my first rifle. Prolly followed by the No. 4 Mk. II and the Finn M39.

telewinz
August 23, 2004, 05:50 AM
The mighty HAKIM, Oh the power! (and light recoil).

Spieler
August 23, 2004, 08:15 AM
I like my Enfield No. 4, M1 carbine and then the various Mauser types.

ID_shooting
August 23, 2004, 08:38 AM
I only have the one (91/30) I got this weekend, so my answer is my new MN, right now.

I have shot AKs, SKSs, and Mausers, Like the Mausers too.

m39fan
August 23, 2004, 11:22 AM
Finnish M39 would be first (obviously), followed closely by the FN-49 and Long Branch No.4 Mk.1 :)

Crownvicman
August 23, 2004, 11:31 AM
I like mauser short rifles. My favorite is a Yugo m-24.

Red_SC
August 23, 2004, 11:47 AM
Enfields for me, too.

armoredman
August 23, 2004, 11:51 AM
My Mosin M38 is a very nicely made, accurate, good looking rifle, despite what anyone says. I also wish I still had my old Mauser K98, and would love another one. Other MilSurps I would love to havve are M1 Garand, Hakim, FAL, SKS, and at least two more Mosins!!!:D

Hand_Rifle_Guy
August 23, 2004, 01:02 PM
...Particularly if they come chambered in a "finger-bore" cartridge. Bigger's lots more fun. More "thwack-factor", I think. And single-shots never run out of ammo. (Well, you never have to stop shooting to fill up some sort of magazine, anyhoot. ;) )

So: most boyring, but still pretty neat is the old 71, or the 71/84 Mauser in 11mm Mauser.

Next up: Sniders. Love that flip-it-sideways breech. AND the .577 Snider!

I really like Martini/Henry's. (Or should I say Peabody?) Rourke's Drift. Zulu. The .577/.450, with iron case heads soldered to a case made of rolled brass foil. They look HORRIBLE! But they worked. 85 grains of blackpowder is a load to be reckoned with.

Favorite of them all is a pretty obvious choice: The Model 1873 Springfield Rifle, Caliber .45, also known as The Trapdoor Springfield, shooting that remarkable round-that-will-not-die, the .45-70 Government.

"In 1882, the bullet weight in the infantry rifle cartridge was increased from 405 grains to 500 grains in order to increase accuracy at extended ranges." That from the Ordinance Board. "Extended ranges" referred to barrage-fire by squads out to 1200 yards or so. The tang-sight on my 1882-vintage rifle is calibrated all the way out to 1500 yards! :what: (Out to 1200 on the front side, 1300,1400, and 1500 are marked out on the BACK side of the flip-up tang. I think I'm the only one who's ever noticed this, as NO-ONE talks about Trapdoors being sighted further than 1200 yards, not even Mike Venturino. I oughta send him a letter. :D)

Honorable mention to Enfields, Garands, k98 Mausers, and of course, Carl Gustaf's SwederMauser. But really, they don't compare.

Jus' throwin' out my $.02, fast an' loose...;)

jobu07
August 23, 2004, 01:02 PM
mephisto, I have that same pair of beauties myself. Great guns those Enfields are. They've really grown on me lately. Maybe it's the mild recoil of the .303, yet the great power they posess in that fine balancing rifle? I do love them. Of course, I love the accuracy of my M39 also. Eh, they are all so great. Right now i'd have to say that my Enfields are my favorite milsurp. Of course, that will change once I get that inevitable garand mind you.

Tamara
August 23, 2004, 01:11 PM
My favorite?

Gee, that's a tough one, and liable to change from moment to moment. :uhoh:

Right now, probably my DWM Argentine 1891, due to its gemlike craftsmanship and immaculate condition.

Dr.Rob
August 23, 2004, 02:50 PM
Only one I own is a 1903A3... always thought the Garand and Carbine were pretty cool.

But I long for the day when I can own a BAR.

I've looked over the M44 carbine a number of times, that's a lot of rifle in a small pacakge.

Black Snowman
August 23, 2004, 04:19 PM
I like auto-loaders. My 1st was a frankenFAL from Century that turned out to be a really nice shooter. It's currently in the shop. My next is a Yugo M59/66 SKS and I just got it out to the range the other day. I really like it. Lots of fun to shoot. Need stripper clips though. Next on my list is a rifle that goes ping from CMP.

I think the handyness and fun features of the SKS are going to make it my favorite for a while. I'm thinking about a bolt gun but none of them really stand out to me yet. I really need to pay more attenion at the shows and handle a few.

Barry in IN
August 23, 2004, 04:54 PM
I'd have to say the M1 Garand.

But I also have to admit: I have had a LOT of fun with my No. 4 Enfield, and 1896 Swedish Mauser.
The Schmidt-Rubin is really neat, but I haven't had much of a chance to play with it. Sure wish it had a peep rear sight.

geojap
August 23, 2004, 05:19 PM
I have several that I just could not live without. I can't really rank one over the other, except possibly for the M1 Garand. I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned the Persian Mauser. It is the finest Mauser in 8mm and possibly the finest mauser ever made, at least on par with the Swede Mauser.

My choices:
1. M1 Garand - Greatest battle rifle ever. Very reliable semi-auto and one of the main reasons why we don't speak German. Ping!

2. Persian Mauser - (Czech Brno-made 98/29) Unsurpassed craftsmanship, period. To me, the best made rifle ever. You can't find anything else like it. Just beautiful.

2 (tie). M39 Finnish Mosin-Nagant - tack driver with unrivalled history and character.

2 (tie). Springfield 1903A3 - Very well-made in the USA. Very accurate. Very pleasurable to shoot. The absolute most silky-smooth action and a fantastic trigger pull.

Swiss K-31 carbines and Swedish Mausers are outstanding rifles as well, but the ammo is too costly for me to put them in the above list. Personally I haven't shot them enough to develop a real affinity for them yet.

All of these rifles really don't have an equal in today's world of modern commercial weapons, except maybe for the modern Swiss arms. These rifles are so finely crafted and constructed that almost all of today's modern rifles are very pathetic in comparison.

I could go on and on talking about all of these rifles. For the most part these rifles are all reasonably priced right now. $90 plus shipping from AIM Surplus for a Swiss K-31 is the raging steal of the century. You are a bleeding fool not to buy one at that price.

Bullet Bob
August 23, 2004, 08:32 PM
K-31's ( I have 2)
followed very, very closely by my 1921 Swedish 96.

Dionysusigma
August 23, 2004, 08:55 PM
I love my 1919 Gustaf Swede mauser. The thing is frickin' accurate, and is the only gun with which I have ever shot a 1 MOA group. I know if I get another Mosin (probably a 91/30 this time) or two I'll be just as happy with them. :)

However, if I am ever able to even find a Hakim, SVT-40, G-43/K-43, AG-42, FN-49, or (!) a Johnson, that would be cool. I have yet to see even one of these things. :(

Tamara
August 24, 2004, 08:40 AM
I changed my mind.

Today I like my Swiss 69/71 Vetterli. This bolt-action repeater must've just seemed plain Science Fiction back in 1869...

cheapshot
August 24, 2004, 09:36 AM
My "mint" 4-groove 03-A3 is my favorite but when I don't want to have to be so careful I really enjoy my DWM mfg '08 Brazilian 7x57, it is really pleasant to shoot. My Rockola 30 M1 carbine is fun but rather poor in the accuracy department.

NEtracker
August 25, 2004, 03:18 PM
M1 Garand then the M1903 or 03A3. For the History, and besides, they are fun to shoot!

Chut1st
August 25, 2004, 03:25 PM
Of the guns I own right now, gotta be the Garand! But when I win the lottery, it'll be the Ma Deuce. Yeah, I know it ain't a "service rifle" but after playing with one at a local MG shoot, I'm now hooked on rock-n-roll.

Checkman
August 26, 2004, 02:38 PM
My Lee Enfields. Both of them.

Smoke Rizen
August 26, 2004, 07:23 PM
I'd have to go with the 03\A3 but the 03,the M1,and the carbine are all right up there. I long for a B.A.R.,and the M72,but things like food and shoes come first. S.R.

ojibweindian
August 26, 2004, 10:20 PM
I had a No4Mk1 at one time. It had been slightly hacked on, but was still a good shooter. Like a fool, I sold it. That whole thing about not knowing what you have till it's gone is true.

Tamara
August 26, 2004, 11:06 PM
Did I say the Vetterli?

I meant my short lever Martini-Henry. It's just so... so... Zulu, y'know?

Wildalaska
August 27, 2004, 12:43 AM
Tam ya need to give that Martini to me for a......a...................headspace test! yes thats it...headspace test! I can start prepping as soon as I get it and Ill be finished by January 2006....

WildnochargeofcourseAlaska

El Rojo
August 27, 2004, 09:52 AM
I think it is my Garand. I just love the feel of that gun and who can resist the Ping calling your name. Then maybe my K-31 after that. Although I forget about my M1 Carbine and need to shoot it more. Next comes the Mosins, M44 and 91/30. My two 1903s are nice, I just don't shoot them much. Same with the Sweede 96. I do like my SKS, but I don't really consider that surplus for some reason, it is in a class of its own.

I used to have a Ishapor .308 Enfield, one of only two guns I ever sold, that should explain that. I also am not a huge fan of my Yugo Mauser, but don't really know why.

Man I really need to get out and shoot more!

stevelyn
August 27, 2004, 10:03 AM
Those pig-nosed No.1 MK-III Lee-Enfields are just plain cool in addition to being one of the slickest bolt rifles ever produced. I'd go w/ '03A3 as my next favorite as well as Mosins.

Tamara
August 27, 2004, 05:33 PM
I think I really meant my Type 38 Arisaka cavalry carbine. What a sweet, handy little rifle it is! :)

drsteve
August 27, 2004, 06:55 PM
I own or have fired most of the military surplus rifles mentioned so far, and I keep coming back to my Garands. To me, a M1 rifle is as good as it gets.

M67
August 28, 2004, 11:49 AM
Tamara Gee, that's a tough one, and liable to change from moment to moment. So, you are basically saying that you're ... a woman? I changed my mind. Did I say the Vetterli?
I meant my short lever Martini-Henry. I think I really meant... Yup, you passed the test with flying colours. :D

Why are the voices in my head suddenly screaming "Run! Hide!"?

PS, re. the topic, I kinda like k98s.

Tamara
August 28, 2004, 12:31 PM
Well, my Garand does match my shoes better. Plus, it goes *PING!*. :D

NMshooter
August 28, 2004, 01:14 PM
The Garand of course. Though I have always been partial to the BAR. (Hey, it IS rifled!:p )

Wildalaska
August 28, 2004, 01:20 PM
I think I really meant my Type 38 Arisaka cavalry carbine. What a sweet, handy little rifle it is!

Tam ya need to give that Arisaka to me for a......a...................headspace test! yes thats it...headspace test! I can start prepping as soon as I get it and Ill be finished by January 2006....

WildflexibleAlaska

NMshooter
August 28, 2004, 02:05 PM
Say, Tamara, do you happen to have Dangerous Dave on speed dial?:) I have never seen a single round of ammunition in any of those calibers (except 30-06 of course). Is that Arisaka in 6.5x50?

Jmurman
August 28, 2004, 02:13 PM
M1 Garand

aerod1
August 28, 2004, 07:27 PM
Good grief! That's a tough one!
I'll have to say my M1 Garand or my M1 Carbine or my '96 Swede or my K-31 Swiss or my Enfield, or, or, or I think I am confused. I hope that isn't a test question!
I like them all.

Jim

Malamute
August 28, 2004, 10:54 PM
We get to change our minds? I really do like my old SMLE No1 MK III*, but I also really like my M1, and my Portugese G3. The G3 is a lot of fun to plink with out to about 500 or 600 yards. Of course everything is a lot of fun to plink with out to that range.

I also really like my 1903 Springfield that my dad gave me. He had it sporterized in the 60's, and gave it to me in the early 80's. I've killed 6 antelope about 6 or 7 deer, 1 elk, and several coyotes with it. Great old gun. I had it rebarreled to 35 Whelen and will take it hunting this fall for black bear, deer and elk. I think this gun is the real favorite, the others are for fun, this one makes meat.

Tamara
August 28, 2004, 11:11 PM
Say, Tamara, do you happen to have Dangerous Dave on speed dial? :) I have never seen a single round of ammunition in any of those calibers (except 30-06 of course). Is that Arisaka in 6.5x50?

The 6.5 Arisaka ammo is from Norma; I was fortunate enough to stumble across some at this past gun show. The .577-450 is, indeed, from OWS.

I'd sure like to find some .41 Swiss Rimfire, 11mm Mauser, and 11mm Gras...

varoadking
August 28, 2004, 11:40 PM
M1 Garand.....without a doubt.

NMshooter
August 29, 2004, 12:31 PM
I wonder if there is anything Tamara does NOT own?:) Sounds like she owns her own museum. (.41 Swiss rimfire?)

Tamara
August 29, 2004, 12:54 PM
Sounds like she owns her own museum. (.41 Swiss rimfire?)

That's more or less what I'm trying to do. I don't have the edjumacashun to get a gig as a curator at an arms museum, so I figured I'd just make my own dang arms museum. :D

(.41 Swiss rimfire, aka 10.4x38R Vetterli; fodder for my M1869/71 Swiss Vetterli. (http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/arms/vetterli) :cool: )

Harbinger
August 29, 2004, 12:57 PM
Quite freakish, Tamara. :)

Man-O-War
August 29, 2004, 02:21 PM
I gotta go with the M1 also. I like a lot of them, but the M1 always rises to the top of the list.

Bainx
August 29, 2004, 04:50 PM
While Tamara is making up her mind on favorites [;) ] I will plug.... M44 with all the trimmings---bayo, bandoleer w/stripper clips as being my favorite!

Malamute
August 29, 2004, 05:00 PM
Tamara, have you visited the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody? Pretty amazing place, (they have the Winchester factory arms collection), it includes about every thing made in the US, and a pretty fair representative history of arms back to hand cannons and matchlocks. The basement has another rather large pile of guns that are just racked side by side to conserve space. Who knows, they may be looking for staff.

Bernie Goetz. Cooper wrote about a guy that had a similar experience as Goetz just a short time later. After the bad guys were down, he simply left, went home. Nobody ever knew who he was.

Zeke Menuar
August 29, 2004, 05:30 PM
Favorite?

Friday is was my 43' Tula ex-sniper. Spent that day redoing some of the shellac.

Yesterday it was my No1 MkIII Ishapore. I spent the afternoon watching football, wiring up the small parts and refinishing all the metal. I redid the stock so the metal had to be redone as well.

In Janurary it was my Hungarian M44. This was my first effort at completely refinishing a totally oil-soaked stock. Came out great for a first effort.

My overall favorite is my M38 Mosin. It is a Big 5 gun with a sewerpipe bore, counterbore and M44 stock. This one is my favorite because it was a Christmas gift from my wife and my first milsurp. In the eight months since then, I have aquired five more milsurps and a C&R license.

ZM

Freightman
August 29, 2004, 06:46 PM
Well probley #1 would be one of my Hakims, 2. one of my Garands, 3 my 49/56 MAS then my K31

Biff
August 30, 2004, 03:15 AM
Gotta be the M1 Garand. Anything else is just another bullet launcher.

foghornl
August 30, 2004, 11:44 AM
The US Rifle Cal .30 M-1. Popularly Known As "The Garand"

Then the Mosin-Nagant M-44 [ Noisy Magnet ;) ]

The SKS series

Have never fired an AK-xx or AR-xx, so don't know if I like them or not.

NMshooter
August 30, 2004, 12:15 PM
Tamara, I am truly impressed.:) Maybe you could talk Oleg into helping you start an online museum.:cool: Up till now I thought the Vetterli was a single shot breechloader.:o

TheDutchman
August 30, 2004, 01:03 PM
1903a3

Cosmoline
August 30, 2004, 02:10 PM
1--Finnish refurbed and accurized hex receiver 91/30 capture
2--Schmidt-Rubin 96/11
3--Schmidt-Rubin K-31
4--Argentine 1891 Mauser
5--Swedish Mauser
6--Arisaka, either type
7--Persian VZ-24 Mauser, Czech made
8--Eddystone Enfield with "EK" stamped on the side :D
9--M-39 Finnish Mosin
10--Greek Mannlicher-Schoenauer in 6.5 M-S

Rapidrob
August 30, 2004, 06:32 PM
Johnson 1941. Recoil operated. Can be reloaded at any time. Quick change barrel. Rotary locking bolt. Way ahead of it's time.
Rapidrob.

krusty311
August 31, 2004, 09:21 AM
98k converted by israel to .308........just because I suppose:D

krusty

Bane
August 31, 2004, 02:29 PM
Mosin. M44 or 91/30. Rifles and ammo are cheap. And they are fairly accurate at moderate range.

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats Your favorite Milsurp Rifle.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!