How to hunt deer with a howitzer

PDA

Dave Markowitz
August 21, 2004, 08:44 PM
A 12 pounder mountain howitzer to be exact.

http://www.buckstix.com/HowitzerHunt.htm

:what:

If you enjoyed reading about "How to hunt deer with a howitzer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ZeroX
August 21, 2004, 08:48 PM
First, let me start by saying that I'm pretty sure that it may not be entirely legal to use a Mountain Howitzer Cannon for deer hunting

:D

cookhj
August 21, 2004, 09:02 PM
:what: :what: OH MY GOD! LMMFAO! :what: :what:

that is one of the craziest things i've seen. once you think you've seen everything, someone out there does something crazier!

i want to try that one day :D

armoredman
August 21, 2004, 09:23 PM
I like this guy! I also want a cannon like that! Just tell the judge, "It WAS muzzleloading season!"

BTW, just surfed ALIS for AZ laws, and I cannot find anything in the ARS that prohibits using this cannon while hunting.....

jamz
August 21, 2004, 09:43 PM
HAAHHAHAHAHAHahahahaaa

Step 10:
10. In the event that you do have unscheduled on-lookers while you are field dressing the deer, ( especially if a Game Warden happens by ) be ready to explain to him that you got very, very, excited and that you kept shooting your "12 gage shotgun" until the deer finally went down. Tell him you fired "at least as many times as you find holes in the deer". Take him over and show him all the empty cases ( which you previously spread-out far away from the Mountain Howitzer ) Act very, very, excited and be very, very, convincing. ( your freedom may depend on it ) You may need to tell him that you had to reload, two or even three times, depending on the number of holes you find in the deer. ( the pattern of your individual mountain howitzer cannon will dictate the extent of your tale ) However, if you shot your deer at less than 100 yards, this may not work at all, and you will now be in big trouble. ( Hopefully the Judge will have a sense of humor when he exclaims to the Game Warden, .............. "You telling me he actually shot a Deer with a Mountain Howitzer Cannon?" )

Archie
August 21, 2004, 09:50 PM
Isn't this method a little hard on the meat?

JohnKSa
August 21, 2004, 10:34 PM
I think that's why he recommends that you not shoot if the deer is closer than 100 yards...

mustanger98
August 21, 2004, 10:36 PM
As a hunter/sportsman, what I want to know is what moron dreamed this up.

Pilgrim
August 21, 2004, 11:41 PM
Fascinating!

Fly320s
August 21, 2004, 11:42 PM
Lighten up, Francis.

It's funny!:D

mtnbkr
August 21, 2004, 11:59 PM
Puntgunning for deer?

Chris

El Tejon
August 22, 2004, 12:20 AM
Step 1, ensure that FO's radio is up and he has accurate map.:p

Weimadog
August 22, 2004, 02:07 AM
As a hunter/sportsman, what I want to know is what moron dreamed this up.

I would say a very creative and industrious 'moron'. Creating that cannon required a huge effort and dedication.

I respect that sort of thing. I think most hunters don't go to even one tenth that effort to bag their deer.

R.H. Lee
August 22, 2004, 02:23 AM
Hopefully any cretin who tries this will:

1) Overcharge the cannon with blackpowder causing a huge explosion which will take him to his demise, or having survived that,

2) Be arrested and jailed by the local game warden, fined into homelessness and have all his firearms confiscated.

The_Antibubba
August 22, 2004, 03:42 AM
It's called

THE BUCKZOOKA (TM) !!!!!!

:neener:

August 22, 2004, 03:52 AM
The only thing funnier then the story were the comments about what a terrible person the guy is for doing this...

atek3
August 22, 2004, 03:57 AM
Buckzooka...That sounds great. A 4 cm shoulderfired recoilless cannon. Maybe I should call up Carl Gustav, they are missing a prime retail market. Although the meat damage from HE shells MIGHT be a slight problem.

atek3

itgoesboom
August 22, 2004, 05:04 AM
I thought that was a joke, untill I saw the photo at the end.

After seeing that I am pretty divided.

On one hand, it seems kinda unsporting, and a little like overkill, like shooting a prairie dog with a .50bmg.

On the other hand, the effort that went into finding the spot, planning how to make the shot, and the fact that it is probably a very clean kill. I can't really think of a faster kill than 6 slugs hitting a deer at the same time.

I.G.B.

Leatherneck
August 22, 2004, 08:58 AM
Mmmmmmm....venison sausage. :D

TC
TFL Survivor

MrMurphy
August 22, 2004, 10:17 AM
I know of a certain sergeant who used his multimillion dollar M-1 tank's gyrostabilized, 10X zoom, laser ranging and thermal-imaging 120mm cannon to whack a deer at a government-approved-laser-rangefinder'd 1,400 yards... non-explosive training shell.

Apparently, it went down in it's tracks, never knew what hit him. With a 120mm, I believe it. And the gunner and loader were witnesses (the gunner looked through the sights, the sergeant fired using the tank commander's extension and override trigger.)

Ouch.

fletcher
August 22, 2004, 10:27 AM
hahahhahahh that is waaaaaaaay too funny.

6 Hits!

Picture of the day :D

TallPine
August 22, 2004, 11:53 AM
That picture under step #1 sure the heck ain't Wisconsin ...

Looks like it could be Montana or some other western state.

WhiteKnight
August 22, 2004, 12:21 PM

I, too, thought it was a joke until I saw the picture. I honestly don't see a problem with it. Planning to lie to a game warden is definitely wrong, but this guy seems to have more of a chance of cleaning killing a deer than the countless hunters who tramp into the woods each fall with a semi-auto centerfire through which they've fired only 2-3 rounds through since the previous season.

Firethorn
August 22, 2004, 03:34 PM
RileyMc, why do you feel bad for the guy? He took a deer in a creative and fast method. I would argue that the deer didn't suffer at all. I've heard of people shooting deer 5-6 times with a semi/pump/bolt action firearm before. They just keep shooting until the deer has left their sights or is down.

Sure, fooling the game warden/witnesses is misleading, but I thought that part was funny.

mustanger98
August 22, 2004, 04:07 PM
I would say a very creative and industrious 'moron'. Creating that cannon required a huge effort and dedication.

Sure building the cannon and ammo was creative and industrious. But that's not what I have the issue with.

I respect that sort of thing. I think most hunters don't go to even one tenth that effort to bag their deer.

A real hunter puts in probably as much effort into other aspects of the hunt. It's about a humane kill that puts meat on the table, but it's also about knowing the deer and their habits in a given area. You don't get a deer hunter's perspective from an artilleryman's point of view.

After seeing that I am pretty divided.

On one hand, it seems kinda unsporting, and a little like overkill, like shooting a prairie dog with a .50bmg.

That's a lot of what I'm talking about.

On the other hand, the effort that went into finding the spot, planning how to make the shot, and the fact that it is probably a very clean kill. I can't really think of a faster kill than 6 slugs hitting a deer at the same time.

The guy knows his cannon, sure. But to say it's probably a very clean kill; what about the balls that effectively amounted to gut shots? Not good. BTW, the same thing can happen using buckshot through a gun that patterns wide instead of tighter.

Treylis
August 22, 2004, 04:12 PM
Well, you know what they say... there's no kill like overkill.

Dr.Rob
August 22, 2004, 04:13 PM
I smell a photoshop job.

Along with sulfer.

That was pretty funny.

MarineTech
August 22, 2004, 05:28 PM
Just let Rosie, or Diane, or Teddy now say that artillery pieces have "No sporting purpose."

As a long time deer hunter myself, I'm not sure that cannister shot out of a cannon is very sporting........ But DARN you have to give the guy points for originality.

The_Antibubba
August 22, 2004, 07:56 PM
Hey, as long as it was during Muzzleloader season...

FRIENDLY
August 22, 2004, 08:14 PM
That reminds me that during the 1960's in the US 20mm anti tank guns were sold and one man bought one and when asked what for said it was for shooting rabbits.

Kobun
August 22, 2004, 08:33 PM
As long as he uses the meat, I'm all for it. :)
Have to look into this sort of thing for elk hunting. ;)

August 22, 2004, 09:30 PM
Good Link. Thanks for posting it.

If this guy is for real, I have no problem with it at all.
He shot one deer. What's the problem. Appearently it would be OK to shoot that same deer with a rifle, shotgun, ML, Handgun; but if he used a ML cannon there is something wrong with it ? The end result is the same.
I also don't see the problem with shooting a prairie dog with a .50 BMG. You arn't going to eat it anyway, what difference does it make what you shoot it with ?
I have gotten the same reaction when I have hunted coyotes with my deer rifle. "it is too much gun for coyotes". Why ? It will ruin too much meat ?

mustanger98
August 22, 2004, 10:05 PM
With coyotes, you don't want the pelts rurnt by big bullet holes. I personally don't see anything wrong with using the deer rifle- in my case that's .30caliber or a .45cal Hawken- to shoot coyotes, partially because that's what I'm carrying during deer season and that's when I'm most likely to see coyotes.

As for shooting the deer with howitzer/canister, why send a bunch of slugs to do the job of one bullet. The situation described is an exageration of the deal around where a lot of guys use a elephant gun (literally- .338 and .358 WinMags) to kill a deer that's weighs anywhere from 75 to 150lbs. It looks macho to say "yeah, I got (whatever big bore)..." but it just ain't necessary and it's a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Sistema1927
August 22, 2004, 10:20 PM
Has anyone considered that the "6 wounds" might have been photoshopped?

The whole page has a "tongue in cheek" character about it.

cordex
August 22, 2004, 10:30 PM
Rant removed
As for shooting the deer with howitzer/canister, why send a bunch of slugs to do the job of one bullet.
The real question to me is: Why not?

If he's safe, humane (bet that deer died as fast or faster as any you've shot with those .30 and .45 frontstuffers) and uses the meat, I don't see why you are complaining.

May not be my cup of soaked-leaf beverage, but I don't see where he's done anything really wrong.

SDC
August 22, 2004, 10:33 PM
if he did it, I say more power to him. It's not as if he called in a freaking AIR STRIKE on a deer, or specified a barrage at a set of map coordinates, he (it would appear) researched the behaviour of his quarry, set up a blind, and made the kill when the circumstances were right. Provided he actually uses the meat, I don't see a problem :confused:

Don Gwinn
August 23, 2004, 12:11 AM
Maybe I just don't get it. Why is that unsporting? Are you saying it's easier to bag a deer with that thing than with a good rifle? I doubt it.

It's "overkill" because it's like shooting a prairie dog with a .50 BMG? What happens when you shoot a prairie dog with a .50 BMG? It explodes.
What happens when you shoot a prairie dog with one of the 6mm or .30 calibers that are so popular for varminting? That's right, it explodes.

What's the difference? Shooting a prairie dog with a centerfire rifle slug at high velocity is overkill.

He didn't make that kill from a position or range that can't be duplicated with a decent rifle. I don't see that it's a big deal. He wasted meat, which is a bit of a shame, but it's his meat.

If you'd ever hunted on a small patch of Illinois farmland, you'd know that the "hunting = stalking" ideas popular in much of the country don't work everywhere. I hunt from a deer stand 20 yards from the property line so that I can be far from the road. There is no stalking. Essentially, I do what this guy did except that I use a shotgun.

joe sixpack
August 23, 2004, 12:28 AM
Hey, as long as it's not nuclear and is humane, I'm all for it.

cheers, ab

Stand_Watie
August 23, 2004, 12:36 AM
If you'd ever hunted on a small patch of Illinois farmland, you'd know that the "hunting = stalking" ideas popular in much of the country don't work everywhere. I hunt from a deer stand 20 yards from the property line so that I can be far from the road. There is no stalking. Essentially, I do what this guy did except that I use a shotgun.

I've known hunters in a number of different states, and all I've known personally hunted from a fixed location. Not to say that stalking doesn't exist, but it's not the most common type of hunting. I'd be surprised if more than 1 of 10 deer were taken by "stalking".

August 23, 2004, 12:40 AM
Here in the South West, most game is taken by "stalking". At least when rifle hunting.
Big game animals in the west don't follow set routines.

I grew up in Ohio and have done plenty of stand hunting. I still go back there every year or two and hunt whitetails. I sit in one spot the whole time, or at least for one day. When I hunt deer in Nevada, I might cover as much ground as the whole county where I grew up on a dialy basis.

Jim March
August 23, 2004, 01:50 AM
I don't see a moral problem here, if the situation is as advertized.

I'm not convinced there's a legal problem either: it's a muzzleloading smoothbore shooting slugs of enough size to otherwise qualify for hunting.

Tharg
August 23, 2004, 02:01 AM
Can't read all the responses currently...

but ...

have a friend that was doing maneuvers... IN the military mind you - in whatever out of the way place they were... and if they could hit it (and of course knew how to clean it etc etc)(and of course didn't hit it DIRECTLY) then there was venison on the menu that day....

just what i know from people (who supposedly are) in the know....

J/Tharg!

shermacman
August 23, 2004, 09:27 AM
I don't understand the problem. It is not like deer are an endangered species. So throwing a whole bunch of lead at a stray seems reasonable. As far a being 'sporting' what is the difference between shooting a deer with a .300 Magnum or a handful of lead cast balls? Same as shooting a prarie dog with a .50 Browning, dead is dead, no suffering. Actually, it seems quite sporting to build, load and fire a cannon. I like it!

cracked butt
August 23, 2004, 09:57 AM
Now I know what to do when the DNR sends me 3 bonus anterless tags for purchasing my license: Set bait pile, set up canon, wait until 3 or 4 deer arrive, pull cord.

Now to build me a canon:evil:

Dave Markowitz
August 23, 2004, 10:08 AM
I fail to see ANY ethical dilemma here.

What he did was functionally the same as a guy hunting from a tree stand, waiting to ambush a deer that comes along a path that he's previously scouted.

And as others have pointed out, this was a clean, humane kill.

extremefishin00
August 23, 2004, 11:30 AM
Uh...I'm pretty sure those bullet holes were photoshopped in.

Tinker
August 23, 2004, 12:24 PM
The guy says six holes. I count 9. Photoshop job. Naw, couldn't be.

:)

http://www.villagephotos.com/image.asp?id_=9718653&sessionkey=

August 23, 2004, 12:50 PM

Diggler
August 23, 2004, 01:01 PM
I'm sure this is probably one of those "I gotta try this just once!" things. I would.

If that deer was standing around 100 yards in the open, he'd have virtually no chance of survival if faced with a hunter who put as much time and effort into sighting in his super-duper-magnum mountain rifle as this guy did preparing with his single-shot cannon. He hunted a deer, got well within a reasonable range to harvest it, and harvest it he did! I'm assuming that it was standing there because if the guy was able to successfully swing the cannon and follow through the shot on a running deer, then that raises the sport to a whole new level. Put to scale, not much different than shooting a squirrel 20 yards away in the treetops with a 12 gauge loaded with #4 shot.

Neat.

Harry Tuttle
August 23, 2004, 03:06 PM
a 12 pound howitzer is to much gun

for a whitetail, a parrot gun should be sufficient
http://wesclark.com/jw/parrot.html

meathammer
August 23, 2004, 05:05 PM
The only real LEGAL problem I see is it's not legal to hunt whitetails in Wisconsin with Buckshot. 000000 Buckshot nonetheless. :D

The other problem I see is accounting for the 100-200 projectiles you just sent downrange!

Very funny though. I'll show this website to the next guy that tells me my 7mm mag. causes too much meat damage. :neener:

WilderBill
August 23, 2004, 10:57 PM
Whaddaya mean it has no sporting purpose? ;)

While it might be easier to hit that deer, it sure wasn't easier to set up the shot and get in position for it.

Next, I wanna see him do a head shot, with solid ball, at 1,200 yds. :eek:

Rebeldon
August 23, 2004, 11:18 PM
I'm wondering how to tote that up into my deerstand. :scrutiny:

Tinker
August 24, 2004, 10:28 AM
My pic didn't show in my last post for some reason. Maybe this will work this time.

---------------------

6 or 9 holes?

http://www.villagephotos.com/image.asp?id_=9718653

mhdishere
August 24, 2004, 10:55 AM
I can see the threads now:

"Will a 12 pounder stop a bear???"

Diggler
August 24, 2004, 11:16 AM
"Will a 12 pounder stop a bear???"Make sure you file down the front sight first...

If you enjoyed reading about "How to hunt deer with a howitzer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!