NOOB question about brass...

PDA

insidious_calm
August 21, 2004, 08:56 PM
Do you have to run NEW brass through the resizer the first time, or can you just load it? Thanks.

I.C.

P.S. - Someone asked earlier about the new Hodgdon experimental packs. I picked up one from my dealer for $23.95. It has 4 different 4oz. bottles of powder. I got the "hunting rifle" one.

If you enjoyed reading about "NOOB question about brass..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Okiecruffler
August 21, 2004, 09:19 PM
When I asked my normal dealer, he couldn't figure out why someone would only want 4oz of powder, just kept repeating, "But you couldn't load very many shells with just 4oz.":banghead:

As far as new brass, I always size, trim and chamfer, you'd be surprised at how out of spec that stuff can be.

Jaywalker
August 21, 2004, 09:44 PM
I think the answer for a newby is, you probably should do it, but you don't really have to. I do chamfer both inside and outside the necks to remove production burrs, though. With Lapua brass (higher quality/price), I don't bother doing even that - just load and shoot.

Jaywalker

cracked butt
August 22, 2004, 03:24 AM
Absolutely. Nothing worse than priming and charging brass only to find that half of your case necks are dented, out of round, or too small to allow a bullet to seat. Ask me how I know.:(

Okiecruffler
August 22, 2004, 03:40 AM
I'll bet you learned that the same way I did. That's after I primed 100 Winchester 223 cases.

stans
August 22, 2004, 06:34 AM
Always resize new brass.

Phattitude
August 26, 2004, 10:33 PM
I always resize, trim etc followed by a run through my polisher, dunno why I polish new brass but its a habbit and it cant hurt.

ojibweindian
August 26, 2004, 10:35 PM
I always resize and trim new rifle brass.

If you enjoyed reading about "NOOB question about brass..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!