Western Field rifle by Mauser?

PDA

Nathanael_Greene
August 22, 2004, 10:33 PM
I recently saw an older .30-06 bolt-action rifle sold by Montgomery Wards.

It looks like a Mauser, and has "Model 720 A EHM .30-06 Cal. Made in West Germany" on the barrel.

The rifle has a 24" barrel, hinged floorplate, checkered stock that looks like walnut. The rifle's in pretty good shape, but the stock is scratched up and looks like it could use a refinishing.

I've Googled the model number, and haven't had much luck learning about it. Could it be that Montgomery Wards imported Mauser rifles?

It's a right-handed rifle, and I'm left handed, so I'm not terribly interested, but can anybody tell me anything about it? Are they worth anything?

Thanks...

If you enjoyed reading about "Western Field rifle by Mauser?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Clemson
August 23, 2004, 08:34 AM
I suspect that the rifle says "EHM 770A." It is a Mauser 3000. That is not the famous Model 98 Mauser, by the way. The 3000 was made in the early 1970's in .243, .270, .308, .30-06, and several magnum calibers.

Clemson

106rr
August 23, 2004, 04:06 PM
Montgomery Ward did indeed import Mausers in the 60s. They were the FN series 200 (I think) they featured a 22" bbl and were cataloged in 30-06, 308, and 243. They had an odd looking rear sight.
The one you have is probably a 3000 as Clemson has pointed out.

Nathanael_Greene
August 23, 2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the replies. This one has really got me curious.

I got another look at the rifle. I'll see if I can get some pictures, but another look definitely reads (verbatim) "Western Field 720 A EHM Made in West Germany."

The scope rings are "Realist"--a search on that found a reference to a Realist scope mount for sale on Ebay that fit "Western Field Model 720," but that's as far as I got.

A real poser...

I'm greatly indebted to anyone who can help. Thanks again.

Jim Watson
August 24, 2004, 12:30 AM
All I could find in old Gun Digests was that the Western Field Model 720 was a Mauser actioned sporter available in .30-06 and .308. Price was $119.95 in 1967, about $30 less than the post-64, pre-68 Winchester Model 70.

Nathanael_Greene
August 24, 2004, 12:42 PM
Here's a very similar rifle. It's a Sears/JC Higgins, apparently an FN action. I guess that tells me a lot.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/r2228.htm

From what I read, though, the Sears rifles were assembled in the US on FN actions, but the Western Field rifle is made in Germany. Interesting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Western Field rifle by Mauser?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!