SKS Questions

PDA

Malone LaVeigh
August 22, 2004, 10:56 PM
1. The fixed magazine on my Norinco doesn't seem to be removable. I followed the instructions and viewed the video on surplusrifles.com, and it looks like it should pop out easily. Mine resists mightily and seems to be stuck. Anyone had this happen or know any tricks?

2. I removed and wiped off the gas tube and piston with a dry cloth. There was heavy oil on it, but not a tremendous amount. Should I lube it also, and if so, what with?

3. I took the bolt apart and cleaned out as much of the heavy oil as I could get to, using Birchwood Casey till it came out pretty clean. Now should I lube it, and if so, with oil or grease?

4. Unlike many posts here seem to indicate, the wood seems to be pretty clean. It has a rough finish, but no oily feel. I don't guess this is much of a question, as I don't plan on doing anything with it unless someone here says I should.

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mpw
August 22, 2004, 11:13 PM
1. Use a screwdriver or similair tool and some pressure...it won't just snap out without tools.

2. Lube only attracts firing residue, it isn't necessary on the gas piston/tube.

3. Make sure that you cleaned all the cosmo/dirt out of the firing pin channel, the firing pin should move freely.

4. Stock refinishing is up to you, I generally only bake off the cosmo in the oven @ low temp then wipe it off with a clean rag.

Feanaro
August 22, 2004, 11:33 PM
1: I used a wooden dowel to tap it out. (I tapped the little lips inside the magazine well) Mine is tight too.

Destructo6
August 23, 2004, 02:58 AM
You removed the bolt/carrier and trigger group, but the fixed mag would not come out?

Malone LaVeigh
August 24, 2004, 12:38 AM
You removed the bolt/carrier and trigger group, but the fixed mag would not come out? That is correct. I haven't been able to make it budge, other than just getting it to open. I finished up with the bolt last night and haven't tried the suggestions (thanks, guys!), but the video made it look easy. I was hesitant to use a tool.

I did end up putting a light coat of gun oil on the firing pin and the rest of the bolt, because I figured that rust could cause it to sieze up as well as fouling. I guess I'll just check it regularly.

Again, thanks for the help.

45 Fu
August 24, 2004, 01:07 AM
A very light coating of oil (very light) in the gas tube helps in reliable function and also helps to keep rust from forming in the gas tube. SKS gas tubes will rust causing friction between the piston and all surfaces it comes in contact with and could lead to spotty reliability and, worse case, could cause the action to jam if it gets too bad. A little is good and a lot is way too much.

If you use the B/C Gun Scrubber be sure to also give a light coating of oil on those surfaces as rust can develop quickly on some surfaces, especially bluing.

Bullet
August 24, 2004, 01:56 AM
You might check out this forum. Here is a link.

http://www.sksboards.com/forum/index.php?...

Hand_Rifle_Guy
August 24, 2004, 02:38 AM
Sand the stock LIGHTLY with 320-400 grit sandpaper. Wipe it, don't scrub at it.

Next rub briskly with fine steel wool, 0000-grade. Work up a sweat.

Apply paste wax, repeat brisk scrubbing with a reasonably clean rag.

Results should be a nice even sheen of the existing finish, and a smooth feel all over. Shouldn't take long, and it might actually make the gun look good, or at least, better than it was. ;)

IP.S. : If it's REALLY dirty, scrub it with linseed oil while you steel-wool it. The oil will act as a solvent to remove gunge, and it'll dress up the scratches. Wipe it off thoroughly, and then wax as above.

DnPRK
August 24, 2004, 09:35 AM
When removing the fixed mag, be sure to pull down on the rear portion of the mag and rotate it out of the mag opening. There is a lip on the forward edge of the mag that hangs onto a projection on the barrelled receiver.

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!