new magazines after ban sunsets?

PDA

Omni04
August 23, 2004, 01:10 AM
hey i was just wondering since i don't know much about making magazines, the AWB banned creation of large capacity magazines, so how long after it lifts do you think we can start to buy better magazines? and do you thinkt hey will be cheap? or almost as expensive as the "grand fathered" ones?

If you enjoyed reading about "new magazines after ban sunsets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
>SHOCK<^>WAVE<
August 23, 2004, 01:58 AM
My uneducated guess is if there's not sufficient demand or no shortage the makers will be less inclined to produce them. It's not in the gun businesses best interest to flood the market with mags cause that will drive the price down and all businesses want to maximize profits.

There may be a flood of foreign surplus mags since they are there for the taking though.

Coronach
August 23, 2004, 02:16 AM
My guess?

Any place where demand is high, manufactureres will fill in the gaps in supply to meet demand. Making mags is simple process, but it relies on volume to keep the profits up. Look for any magazine that is currently made and marked 'LEO only' to be sold at about its current price to LEOs once the massive post-ban demand stops outstripping supply. On those mags, the price will likely go up, as a product made for the past 10 years as a niche specialty item will suddenly be available to a whole buncha frustrated people who all want them.

Will they make new 'standard cap' mags? sure. I'm guessing that one of the areas where we'll see a nice price drop will be M1A/M14 mags.

Mike

dbshabo
August 23, 2004, 02:49 PM
The law didn't ban the manufacture of hicap mags did it? It did ban the sale of hicap mags to civies. I think those who were manufacturing hicap mags before the ban are most likely still making the mags. Some may have gone out of business but not all. I don't think the supply side will be a problem unless the industry makes it one to keep prices up. They'd never do that right? I also think there will be a surge in mag sales after the ban sunsets so prices will remain higher than they should be for awhile. Time will tell I guess.

Shabo

Southern Raider
August 23, 2004, 04:42 PM
The prices should drop very soon after the initial buying fury subsides. Remeber that the magazine manufacturers don't actually need to expand to fulfill new demand. Every magazine currently marked "LEO Only" will now be available to be sold on the civilian market, so the supply available to us will expand as well.

Jon Coppenbarger
August 23, 2004, 05:10 PM
Ok I will be selling mags as soon as the ban lifts to the puplic and the prices will be lower as sales to get the mags out of inventory and make room for others.
No they will not be under cost and I think the big break will come on used mags like ar15 mags as why should you or me pay new prices for used mags.
Folks selling like beta and the such are taking orders right now and the day after the ban are going to charge you and ship. Paying $240 for a complete beta set up is alot better than paying $400 plus and a few years ago seen them for over twice that for pre-bans.

There are also makers of ar15 mags which are the same one's as are making them for current govt. contracts making them right now by the thousands and you should be able to get them right after the ban ends.
I do not know about other types of mags but I would think in some way they will be out there again also.

But I really think the price will be what the current retail market price is and a few discount dealers will have them for sale also.

You should see the current prices drop as I have never seen a mag that was a preban not for sale at a gun show and the such and why would folks all of a sudden pay more on the 14th than they would now when if its out at the shows already and with the threat of new ones coming out on the market I would not want to be holding tons of mags that are going to drop in price. I have a very good friend that sells mags and has more in mags than I am worth (no jokes please, LOL). and he is thinking hard about that.

Jack19
August 23, 2004, 05:52 PM
I expect mag prices to be up for a while but not to the prices of the last ten years.

After all, who among us WON'T be buying mags for an AR, Glock, FAl, etc.??

The problem is timing.

If Bush wins I thing we have two months before they replace the ban with something stronger and permanent. I don't see the PatAct2 passing without some version of an AWB.

If John (I shot myself in the ass) Kerry wins, we have three months at most. I expect it wil be his inagural priority.

In any event, buy early and often, have all the work you want done, done early.

JMHO

Dead
August 23, 2004, 07:05 PM
I want my M-16 mags!!!!! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "new magazines after ban sunsets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!