THR Shoot at the PHA Range

PDA

1911Tuner
August 23, 2004, 11:16 AM
Sunday, August 22nd, I was pleased to have KMKeller and Fed168 as my guests at the PHA range in Churchland, NC for the ritual burning of many
grains of powder and lead. Good fun was had by all, even though I shot
about as badly as I've ever shot.:rolleyes: I offer no excuses other than the standard fare: "The sun was in my eyes. The ammo is bad. I've
fallen from grace with the range gods.":D

Fed was an impressive reaction shooter, and Kirk was likewise on target
for most of the morning. They were witness to the 60-second detail strip
and a demonstration of the myth of the limp-wrist malfunction....but by far
the most impressive display of the day was Keller's 8 year-old son and his
gun handling savvy.

The lad isn't any bigger than a man's knuckle, but I dare anybody to
cross in front of his muzzle. You can't do it. Try it and he will immediately move the gun into a position that won't cover you. I tested him a couple of times, and the little man stayed right on top of it. He probably went home thinking that I was a dumb so-and-so for walking in front of his gun so many times. He didn't realize that I was puttin' him to the test....after he
opened the breech, of course...which he never failed to do.

I hereby award to Sam Keller PHA's Junior Shooter of the Year. The boy
can stand behind me with a loaded gun any time.

Outstanding!

Cheers all!

Tuner

If you enjoyed reading about "THR Shoot at the PHA Range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mtnbkr
August 23, 2004, 11:27 AM
Where's Churchland?

I lived in NC till I was 8 and went back for school (Campbell). Most of my relatives live in/around Goldsboro.

Nice state, I wouldn't mind moving back.

Chris

1911Tuner
August 23, 2004, 11:40 AM
Howdy mntnbkr

Churchland is in Davidson County...One of several unincorporated townships along highway 150 that runs from just off I-85 into Winston-Salem, and picks back up near Kernersville and goes to God-only knows.

As you leave Winston on 150, you'll pass through Arcadia, Reeds, Reedy Creek, Tyro, Churchland...and a few that I can't name off the top of my head. If ya blink, you'll miss'em. On the trip...which is about 25 miles from Parkland High School to the I-85 access ramp...if you get to the interstate, you passed the access road to the range about 3 miles back on the right.

Coming from Lexington, headed for Charlotte, you take the Clark Road exit
and turn right....Dogleg back left onto Old Salisbury Road, and take another right on 150 toward Winston. It'll be about 3 miles on the left.
Big sign...PHA.

Come on down and shoot a little on the next meet.

KMKeller
August 23, 2004, 11:41 AM
Thanks 'Tuner. I'm very proud of Sam. He's a good kid with a good head on his shoulders. Would you believe that's the first time he shot that little P22?

We all had a ball and my boy thoroughly enjoyed having some time to shoot with "the guys". And I'm pleased to say that, thanks to the reaction drills, I discovered that I'm not as slow out of the holster as I thought I was. :D

Also, nice catch on the squib. If Fed168 and I had been on the PD range practicing, Fed would've lost a gun, or at least bulged a barrel. Good save.

Thanks for the many tips as well. Fed168 and I were both impressed with your knowledge of your preferred platform and your shooting skill with it. To quote Fed168, "as soon as he pulled that firing pin out of his kit, I knew we were going to see something". Swear to all the range gods there are folks, I saw 'Tuner with a 1911 and an M16 firing pin, and less than a minute later, there was a pile of 1911 guts. After that, 'Tuner put it back together and proceeded to demonstrate one of the smoothest drawstrokes I've ever seen. The man can talk it and walk it. And for the record folks, the limp wrist thing is indeed a myth. A thumb and a trigger finger was all that gun was held with and it fired just fine.

I will have to say though, that the best part of the day was the company. None finer on any range, anywhere.

Thanks again for your hospitality. It was a good day sharing a range with you. And the young gent you brought along was a pleasure as well. Very respectful and safety minded. I had no reservations whatsoever about letting him shoot anything I brought. Good kid that one.

Kirk

1911Tuner
August 23, 2004, 11:57 AM
KMsaid:

Also, nice catch on the squib. If Fed168 and I had been on the PD range practicing, Fed would've lost a gun, or at least bulged a barrel. Good save.

Yeah buddy! That one had the adrenalin pumpin'! The third tap-rack probably woulda driven that bullet deep enough up the tube to let the gun go to battery and fire. Coulda cost him a finger or two. God works in mysterious ways, I reckon. As bad as my hearing is, it was a small miracle that I heard that primer light off through the muffs. Good that he had that squib on that range on that day. Otherwise, Durham might have lost a fine young officer to a crippling injury. Close call.

Now, I gotta go clean 3,000 rounds worth of crud outta that Colt. It's way past due! :rolleyes: I'm gettin' lazy in my old age... :D

mtnbkr
August 23, 2004, 12:17 PM
Oh, ok. I never got up to that area much. The closest I got on a regular basis was Greensboro, and that was just the to/from trip for school (Parents live in Roanoke, Va). Eventually (this was the early 90s), highway construction around Greensboro forced me to change my route and go through Hillsborough and Raleigh. I think I've been to W-S twice in my life.

It's a bit far from Manassas, but nextime you guys have a shoot and I'm in Roanoke (about a 2hr drive), I'll swing by.

Chris

1911Tuner
August 23, 2004, 12:34 PM
Ahhhhh Roanoke! Many moons ago, I used to go see a gal that lived in that fair city. She worked at the Hotel Roanoke...Don't even know if that
place is still standin'. Haven't been up there since 1976, but I used to make a trip to Salem to pick up reloadin' supplies at Blue Ridge Supply until they went belly up. Salem is exactly a 2-hour drive from my house up here in Rural Hall, NC...about 15 miles north of Winston....the last bastion of
unscrewed-with farmland in Forsyth County. I live about a tobacco spit from the Stokes County line.

We'll try to accomodate your travel schedule for another shoot...Keep us posted.

mtnbkr
August 23, 2004, 01:03 PM
It's still there. It went out of biz, or almost did back when I was in high school. A group of investors bought it and rebuilt it. My wife and I spent our wedding night there (three years ago Wednesday!).

We go to Roanoke fairly often. If I see you guys are doing something, I can probably arrange a trip. I'm sure our families will welcome us since we have grandchild #1. :D

Chris

1911Tuner
August 23, 2004, 02:54 PM
In all the excitement, i forgot to tell ya'll that the incident was the second one like that I'd seen. Thr first one came even closer than this one.

A friend and I were at the same range, different berm about 7-8 years ago...maybe more. He had loaded 200 rounds of .357 on a progressive loader...Hot loads with Olin 296 and 140-grain Speer JHPs...HOT loads!
Loads that I wouldn't have been comfortable firing in a K-Frame Smith.

I heard the primer light off...just like yesterday...and when I looked over at John, he had thumbed the hammer back and indexed the next round in
the cylinder. I screamed at him to stop as his finger went for the trigger.

When we opened it up, the CCI magnum primer had pushed the bullet base just barely past flush with the back of the forcing cone...allowing the cylinder to turn and index the next chamber.

If he had dropped the hammer on that thing, it would have been grenade city...and probably would have hurt both of us. Possibly could have killed him.

Ladies and laddies...Any misfire should be treated with suspicion. Keep the
gun pointed downrange and wait for about 30-60 seconds to make sure it's not a hangfire. Then, open it up and have a look. The eyes that you save could be yours and mine and anybody else's who is standing nearby.

Any difference in report or recoil should likewise be suspect.

Be safe!

Tuner

KMKeller
August 23, 2004, 03:00 PM
I'm sure glad you were paying attention, 'cause I was so busy concentrating on shooting the spaces between the steel plates that I didn't notice anything until you started yelling.:o

If you enjoyed reading about "THR Shoot at the PHA Range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!