Night sights...front& rear or front only?

PDA

10-Ring
February 19, 2003, 04:18 PM
I've noticed a small trend. It's been recommended to me that I only get the front night sight put on one of my pistols. Thought about the logic & it seems to make sense. But now I'm all confused again. What height front sight do I get?? Are they just as fast to line up even in low light?

If you enjoyed reading about "Night sights...front& rear or front only?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Soap
February 19, 2003, 05:20 PM
The results shall speak for themselves: Try shooting an IDPA-style night course with a NS equipped gun and a Surefire. Then see what happens if you put tape over the tritium on the rear...

I've found that I need a front and rear index to align my pistol when I'm scootin' and shootin'

YMMV.

Smoke
February 19, 2003, 06:25 PM
If your going to have them, I say front and rear. I don't really get the point in having the front only. (Or rear only for that matter)

After spending a bunch of money equiping guns iwth tritiums, I discovered that they don't help that much. They are better suited for low light shooting than "no light" shooting. I have found that a flashlight deployed right puts more than enough light on my sights for me to see them. I shoot my Para Ordnance Limited (Bomar type sights) best with a flashlight. Better than any of the tritium equipped guns.

I have quit paying additional money for night sights.

My $0.02

Soap
February 19, 2003, 06:49 PM
Excellent point Smoke! If you're using a tritium equipped gun in total darkness, and you light the target with a Surefire, your tritiums will pretty much "shut off", leaving you with a standard black sight picture. One advantage here though is that you can already have a decent idea of your aiming index before you even light up the target. Also when you shoot by moonlight (or any other ambient light) the tritiums really come into their own. You can engage targets quite will without a flashlight. As always though, in a real defensive shooting: RULE #4!

The tritums also help me to find my gun on the nightstand; essentially they act as my runway lights.

10-Ring
February 20, 2003, 12:51 AM
I was off the bandwagon re: night sights but have recently jumped back on. Now my houseguns have them. I have just been wondering if I should go another full set on my USP 45 or just go front.

Smoke
February 20, 2003, 10:34 AM
Daniel Flory

I will most certainly agree that there is an advantage in low light (moon light or similar) situations. But can we ammend your statement of:

As always though, in a real defensive shooting: RULE #4!

...to just: " As always though, in shooting: RULE #4! "?

Soap
February 20, 2003, 01:09 PM
Smoke- I stand corrected! :o I suppose I was thinking of doing IDPA night shoots where we go through the walkthrough with flashlights, then we make sure the range is clear of course. Then when we actually run the course, flashlights are optional. So in some IDPA night shoot situations I don't positively identify each piece of cardboard with a flashlight if there is enough ambient light. But the only time that I do this is when the target is within arm's reach.

If you enjoyed reading about "Night sights...front& rear or front only?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!