Intratec Tec-9 questions

PDA

Swinger
December 29, 2002, 04:22 PM
I've seen a few Intratec Tec-9 pistols at recent gun shows in my area, and I have to say, I'm intrigued by this unique-looking pistol. I've found lots of good information on the internet, but I have a few questions I'm hoping someone here can help with.

First, do any of you guys own a Tec-9? If so, what do you think of it?

Any opinions as to what a fair price is for one? I understand they're pretty hard to find these days, especially the original version with the threaded barrel.

Some Tec-9s are class 3 firearms due to the threaded barrel, right? So do Tec-9s without a threaded barrel but WITH the neat-looking barrel shroud exist?

Hopefully someone here is a Tec-9 expert and can help me out with these questions. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Intratec Tec-9 questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Politically Incorrect
December 29, 2002, 04:34 PM
I owned one a few years ago and I must say that it was not reliable in ejecting rounds causing a jam. Every so often, the gun would run through a thirty rounds like nothing. Most of the time I was dropping the mag, pulling the bolt back while using my pocket knife to extract the spent case that was stuck in the barrel. I sold it back to my friend who I had bought it from and then he sold it off at a gun show.

Class 3 weapons, if I'm not mistaken are full auto and short-barrel or silenced firearms. The threaded barrel would be a preban firearm.

If I were you, I'd save up and buy something of quality. The Tec9 is a unique pistol in its simplicity, but in function, it's unique for its jam-o-matic reputation.

Hkmp5sd
December 29, 2002, 07:30 PM
The Intratec Tec-9 is an interesting looking firearm, but it's functionality is questionable. Many have feeding problems. I have one of the few I've heard about that actually feeds ok.

They are heavy, somewhat poor in accuracy and with lousy sights. If you want a unique 9mm pistol, go for it. If you want a reliable 9mm pistol for carry or target shooting, get something else.

(The threaded barrel merely makes it a "pre-ban assault pistol")

Swinger
December 29, 2002, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I probably should have said up front that I'm just looking at a Tec-9 as a new toy to play with at the range. I certainly wouldn't try to carry a monster like that concealed, and I have a Beretta that would feed rocks without jamming to trust my life to. :)

Regarding the feeding problems, I was kinda afraid that would be the case. I've read a few accounts saying that in general, Tec-9s are usually fairly reliable feeding FMJ rounds, but jam like crazy with any type of hollowpoint ammunition. If I could just get the thing to feed CCI Blazer at the range, I'd be satisfied...guess I would just have to cross my fingers on it if I were to pick one up.

Any idea as to how much I should pay for one of these things? They seemed to be in the $550-$650 range at the show I was at this morning, but I've so far been unable to get a sense of how fair a price that is. I think the $650-ish one had the barrel shroud, and the other didn't.

Thanks again for the help.

Politically Incorrect
December 29, 2002, 10:35 PM
$550?

Gee, I wish I knew. I think I sold the one I bought from my friend for the $200 I paid for it. Good luck in the quest for a reliable Tec9.

Hkmp5sd
December 29, 2002, 10:39 PM
Guess they have increased in value a little since I bought mine. IIRC, I paid about $200 for it back in '91. Didn't know they were going for that much. Might think about selling mine. :)

No way I would pay $600+ for one of these animals. They just aren't worth that much money and if the AW ban sunsets in '04, they won't be worth that much money. Save a little more money and for about $1000 you can get a full-auto Cobray M11/9.

railroader
December 30, 2002, 12:36 AM
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976266763.htm Is this a variation? Mark

Hkmp5sd
December 30, 2002, 12:39 AM
Yep. That's the post-ban version.

standingbear
December 30, 2002, 12:59 AM
there have been a few design changes on the tec 9.early ones didnt have a threaded receiver cap and these tended to break easily the plastic disk on the lower that held it all in place.the newer ones(tec 9 model) had a threaded upper tube that held the guts in place.bolt bottom also was changed,the ridges were removed.then changed to dc-9 and the postban ab-10 we see commonly at shows.i found that adjusting the extractor(held in place by an allen screw),cured extraction problems.i also found that they work best with hot ammo(fed hipower,wolf)i have had several-both the tec 9s and the ab-10s.the design came from the interdynamic made kg9 pistol,which fired from (if memory is correct)an open bolt system.gun changed to kg99 after it was discoverd the ease of illegal full auto conversion and bolt changed to operate closed bolt only.as far as the selling price-depending on what came with it(several factory mags,barrel extensions,ect) and cond,id say 400-450 max.if youre into this kind of pistol,you may want to look at the postban mpa 9mm (mac 11).im told these are very well made as the original swd macs.btw; the only difference betwen the preban tecs and postban ab10 is the threaded muzzle and the model name.

dangoldminer
April 4, 2005, 07:45 PM
I have a tec-9 with a theaded barrel brand new in the box take 450 for it I live in arizona email dangoldminer@wmconnect.com

scbair
April 5, 2005, 08:30 AM
I have the AB-10 edition; it IS reliable; one of a handful of semis I've ever owned that has NEVER malfunctioned (of course, I've only fired about 300 rounds through it . . .). It is NOT accurate, though.

As already stated, a fun pistol for play; not for any type of serious use. I only paid $160 for mine, NIB, when Klinton was in office. In fact, I blame the purchase on him! He said no one needed one; knowing what a consistent liar he was, I interpreted the truth to be EVERYONE needed one! :D

MrMurphy
April 5, 2005, 11:38 PM
My gunshop has two, and usually the "banger" type-looking guys want to know about it, others will just ask.

I will always tell them it's a unreliable piece of crap that's inaccurate. I've shot 3 of them and couldn't hit much and half the mag had feeding or ejection problems.

Save your money, buy a Keltec Sub-2000 and get a 33-round Glock mag for it. You'll have an accurate-to-50-or-100 yard gun, that folds in half and is reliable, for $300-400.

larryf1952
April 6, 2005, 06:34 PM
I have a friend who bought an early Tec-9...probably over 15 years ago now. I'd been shooting for awhile and was a pretty decent shot by then, and he was just learning. Neither of us could hit a gallon milk jug at 30 feet with the thing. A little later, the bolt broke off, and while trying to disassemble it in his garage, he put a round through the side of his meat freezer. That was the end of Tec-9's for him. That decision probably saved his life.

Alan Fud
April 7, 2005, 12:20 AM
They're still not being made, are they?

Domino
April 7, 2005, 12:28 AM
They're still not being made, are they?

I don't think so, and they might not ever be made. Unless its got the rock'n'roll feature whats the difference in getting ANY 9mm semi-auto pistol thats got larger magazines. I can do pretty good with my G19 with G18 mags firing in burst shots at Micheal Moore posters. Tons of fun!!!

AirPower
April 8, 2005, 06:02 PM
I have been addicted to Tec-9 for some time. No they're not made any longer, the company that made it was sued out of business. There's still a patent holder floating around, but I doubt if you ever see it made again. The reason is that it's just "evil assault instrument" and any maker will have a big legal bullseye on it. As for the gun, it is reasonably accurate, but not up to standard autoloader level. They look cool and that's main draw, and as for jamomatic, some days are good, some days are okay, also depends on the magazine, make sure it's not dirty. There are 20rd, 32rd and 50rd mags out there, factory 32rd are almost always reliable, aftermarket are less so.

There's a cousin of Tec-9, called AA AP-9, top in the photo. IT is actually a better made gun, with HK style sights. Once you get Tec-9, don't forget to get a Cobray M11/9mm, they are almost made for each other. :evil:

http://img22.exs.cx/img22/3980/pistolsassault19ne.jpg

Hkmp5sd
April 8, 2005, 06:37 PM
Once you get Tec-9, don't forget to get a Cobray M11/9mm, they are almost made for each other.
Just make sure you get a real Cobray M11/9. :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Hkmp5sd/M11-9b.jpg

Spreadfire Arms
April 8, 2005, 06:57 PM
AirPower,

man you look like you did 50 Cent's new CD cover! :D

i have a Tec in my inventory....they don't move fast. sold 2 in the last 3 months. i think i sold the last two around $325-375ish.

if you're going to get one get an original IntraTec TEC-9 not a TEC-DC9 or a Kimel AP-9.

collectors like the original TEC-9 w/ threaded barrel. it's not Class III. it's considered a pistol.

interesting safety too. the charging handle that sticks out of the bolt is the safety. push in for safe, pull out for fire.

not the best gun in the world, but if you own this and a pit bull you can make a rap video.

azrael
April 8, 2005, 07:16 PM
Steve,
Isnt the AP9 considered a "machine gun" because it fires from an open bolt???

I got to play with one of the early Tec 9's at the range...wasnt a bad weapon, at the time I considered getting one for a truck gun but went with a PG shotty instead

AirPower
April 8, 2005, 07:32 PM
there were open bolt versions very early on, I think called AP99 or something like it. I think they discontinued when ATF didn't like the idea of open bolt semiautos. The AA/Kimel AP9 fires from closed bolt.

Thanks for the compliment Steve, I should find some bling bling and nic'd 9 to complete the photo set. :D

shattered00
September 6, 2005, 01:00 PM
This is the type of tec-9 I want, but I am still unsure of a price range as numbers on this forum have varied greatly.

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/1800/1848.htm

Anyone have a narrow price range for this model?

For confirmation, the weapon in the picture is not a class 3 weapon correct?

Hkmp5sd
September 6, 2005, 01:35 PM
$200-$300 Retail. It is not a "class 3" aka NFA weapon. Just a poorly built, inaccurate, 9mm jam-o-matic.

04SilverSCFX4
September 6, 2005, 03:13 PM
My grandfather has a Kimel AP9 and it will eat anything. He fires everything from JHPs to cast-lead 147gr swc's. Surprisingly enough it's fairly accurate at 25m and with the 32round stick, front fore-grip and laser it's a fun shooter. My 8 yr old brother loves it and my grandfather will never let it go as long as he believes it to be "Janet Reno's worst nightmare."

Like you said, you just plan on plinking with one. I would definately look at the Kimel, last week there were 2 listed on gunsamerica.com. Back in the day they went for 200.00 but I believe the cheapest one listed was around 350.00.

micglin
September 6, 2005, 03:50 PM
Holy resurrected thread, Batman! Anyone else notice the post dates? One post was Dec 29, 2002, and the next post was......oh, April 4, 2005. Of course, now that I've read closer to get that exact date, I notice this thread has been resurrected again today...but for a good post this time. Oh well, that'll teach me to pay attention. :o

albanian
September 6, 2005, 07:34 PM
The Tec-9 I had and more recently the Tec-22 I had were two of the worst guns I have ever owned. The Tec-9 would not feed more than a few rds at a time without jamming and the accuracy could not even be called that with a straight face. The accuracy was so bad that I had to have my friend spot for me because I had no idea where the rds were going when it would fire. Later I found out why my brand new AB-10 was so inaccurate, you could put an unfired 9mm all the into the muzzle. The bore was probably more 9 1/2mm than 9mm. :uhoh: Total junk.

The Tec-22 I had was more interesting. It would fire once in a while without jamming at first then it went full auto for a while then it became a single shot. It would shoot one round and eject it and load the next round but for some reason it was not cocking the hammer so it would not fire. It did this on every round. I bought a new hammer but that didn't fix it. A few rounds later, the sheet metal firing pin snapped in half. :eek:

I have nobody to blaim but myself for buying the Tec-22, I knew what a POS the Tec-9 was but I just wanted more.

Ky Larry
September 7, 2005, 10:09 PM
I had a TEC-9 with threaded barrel. Without a doubt, it was the sorriest P.O.S. that I ever handled. Jam-O-Matic junk. Wouldn't fire more than 3 rounds without jamming, either FTF or FTE. :barf: When it did fire, accuracy was a joke. After 3 trips back to the factory, I traded it for a T/C Contender. Best deal I ever made. My advice, save your money and buy something else.

gopguy
September 9, 2005, 10:56 AM
I remember when Interdynamics made the first versions of these guns. They called them the KG9, it fired from an open bolt and there were full auto versions available. That was of course before 1986. They later reformed as Intertec. I have an early one that works fine, even have the pouch and a screw on perforated barrel extention...not rifled of course. They also made a fore grip for these guns but the BATF decided to ban those. Quality control was apparently spotty as some work well and others do not. I had a latter one that when you shot it the magazine would fall out......sold it but kept the older one. They did stand up behind the guns though. A buddy had one that had the plastic receiver split....He sent it to them and they sent him a new gun.....that was around 1990.

Hkmp5sd
September 9, 2005, 01:20 PM
They also made a fore grip for these guns but the BATF decided to ban those.
Register it as an AOW and you can have the vertical foregrip.

Vic
March 26, 2006, 09:12 PM
I just purchased the AB10 (After Ban 10). A more P/c version of the tech-9 (if there is such a thing). I've owned a 5906/Glock19/Taurus92AF/Ruger KP89DC, and NONE of these would hit accurate at 25yds. To my suprise...the AB10 hits the mark exceptionally well (4"group rested). It fed hand loaded HP and factory FMJ 115gr with out a hitch. The reason I bought it was simply because it's the closest thing I will ever be able to own to an M3 or Sten, and the anti's HATE anything that even resembles a SMG. I will never try to feed 147gr because of the cracking issue mentioned by some owners. It wasn't designed for 147gr or +P ammo, just 115gr FMJ. Although I've only put less than 50rds through it, it has not offered to jam at all, even with the hand loaded 115gr HP. My taurus would not process my hand load HP at all without jamming. I also didn't buy this as a primary carry or self defense weapon because a Ruger sp101 in 357 or a 1911A1 would serve a lot better in that capacity and reliability is not much of an issue with those type weapons. As with any firearm, either you get a good one or a DOG. I think I got lucky and got a good one that will be a fun plinker but time will tell. It shurenuf one UGLY little gun though. If I were looking at it from the business end...it would make me go out to buy a new pair of under shorts though. Just my .02 worth.

wchand
August 28, 2006, 06:52 AM
I picked up the AB-10 version yesterday and was impressed!!! I shot 100 rounds and it feed flawlessly. Slow and rapid fire! It was somewhat accurate, shot a bit to the right but only about an inch or so. It is pretty much a show off piece and was fun to shoot. And best of all it wasn't much money...

kennedy
August 28, 2006, 09:26 PM
I have a preband tec9m(short threaded barrel) never had a problem with it, shoots ok all considering all the stamped parts, bought a parts kit for it, but never have had to use any of it. so far have collected 4 of the 32 orginal rd mags for it. also have orginal box, now kind of a conversation piece.

nendsmart
November 7, 2006, 09:11 PM
Can someone tell me why my almost new ab-10 tec 9 fires when it wants too?
sometimes i can rip through a clip and the next clip fires every other round-click-click-click,then it fires great again, does it need to be stripped and cleaned? it never has been broken down, whats the best 9mm round/brand? what will help? I hope i get some help before I use it for a door stopper, or maybe i should just throw it at a would be bad guy if needed. I would like it to act as mean as it looks...

thanks

albanian
November 9, 2006, 05:31 PM
" hope i get some help before I use it for a door stopper, or maybe i should just throw it at a would be bad guy if needed. I would like it to act as mean as it looks..."

Any gun can be fixed but IMHO the Intratec guns are not worth the time or money. They have such cheap parts that once you replace something, another part will soon break. Parts are not really cheap to buy and they may not fit your gun without some file work.

I have had a AB-10 and a Tec-22. You would have thought I would have learned my lesson with the first one but I went ahead and bought a another one so I have nobody to blaim but me.

My best advice is, get rid of that POS and get a gun that will work. If you can get $100 for it, take and put it towards a gun made by S&W, Ruger, Beretta or any other good maker. For $300 you can find some nice used 9mms that will be more reliable and accurate than the Tec-9. Get a Ruger P-95 for $200 used and you will still be MUCH better off.

firearm fred
April 24, 2007, 08:51 PM
If you know what the problemis you can usually fix it. I own an ab-10 I bought offa freind that would jam every other round when I first got it. So determined to fix it were it would empty without jamming I stated with the extractor. I adjusted it. Then I moved on to the Magazine next. ( times out of ten if you own a cheap automaic thats jamming the mag is the problem.So I started looking at the mag and had to clearance it were the shells come out in front. they were catching the mag. Then i modified the feed lip of the right hand side of the mag to turn the shell to the left when it exits the mag and also to were it will hangon to that shell a little longer. She will fire all thitytwo right as rain one at a time now! Everytime my buddies come over they ask me"can I please shoot the tec 9 man?".ALWAYS REMEMBER. WERE THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY,AND BE SMARTER THAN WHAT YOU ARE FOOLING WITH.YALL HAVE A GOODN HEEUHH.

phatt420
June 16, 2008, 09:54 PM
fire arm Fred, can you give me a lesson on fixing my AB-10. It jams alot when using Remington ammo. I would take any advice. I also wanna know if bump firing a 1968 Belgium Auto 5 is bad for the gun. Thanks

The Lone Haranguer
June 16, 2008, 10:02 PM
This thread surely must hold a record for number of times resurrected. :neener:

tonelar
June 25, 2010, 08:16 PM
yes it does, doesn't it?

A dear friend in VA refused to listen to me and bought one of these. I'm surprised that it actually runs fine, but it only has a single magazine.

any opinion on whether Mega magazines are good with these? I can't find factory ones for it anywhere.

KC&97TA
July 6, 2010, 10:13 PM
This thread surely must hold a record for number of times resurrected.

I'm looking to trade an old deer rifle scope for a tec-9, stopped by THR just to investigate, I'm going to bring her back to the top just for giggles, LOL

klash545
July 7, 2010, 06:53 PM
they're junk copies of the french kp99,used to buy them back in the 90s for $150....steer clear

Kman
July 7, 2010, 08:36 PM
"" I also wanna know if bump firing a 1968 Belgium Auto 5 is bad for the gun. Thanks ""
ROTFLMAO!! OMG,,
In a tec-9 thread! I luv you man,,

bernie
July 7, 2010, 08:55 PM
Wow, Lazarus was not resurrected this many times!

worlddevour
July 26, 2010, 05:09 AM
Look the gun is what it is! A fun gun mine never jams had for 6 years! Shoot it several times a year since bought. Simple to use and clean. when i bought it i wasnt looking for a target gun looking for a fun gun.

C0untZer0
December 7, 2010, 11:56 PM
Well first of all - the manual has certain ammo recomendations. One of the recomendations is to not use reloads - ever - period. The second recomendation is to not use ammo with a case thickness of less than .027, and the third recomendation is to only use ammo made after 1984.

It's widely known that the weapon will not feed anything but FMJ, the weapon will jam with hollow point or wad cutters or anything else like that. It's basically made to fire NATO ball. (actually I found that Nyclad 124gr semi-hollow points work just fine in it) But beside Nyclad, I've never been able to feed HPs in it without a round jamming on the feed ramp. With regular ball ammo - mine works just fine. When I was first breaking in the pistol I had some jams, but that cleared up. I actually have not had any problems with it and I've put about 700 rounds of FMJ through it since the original break-in period.

My TEC-9M is also fairly accurate. But I purchased my pistol new in 1987. It's about as accurate as my Browning Hi-Power. I can shoot 3" groups at 25 yards.

Intratec was basically sued out of existance by rabid gun-control activists. Quality at Intratec took a dive in mid-1987. Although the company succesfully defended itself against a major lawsuit, the legal costs were devastating. There were cost cuttting measures, less money spent on quality control and the quality of the TEC-9s declined.

By late 1989, the gun banners in CA decided to ban both the TEC-9 and TEC-22 by name in the state's Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Ban. Intratec got around this fairly easily: Company owner Carlos Garcia just changed both of the guns' names. The TEC-9 became the TEC-DC9. Although you'll find some folks that say this was to "screw over" Washington, DC, it actually stands for "Designated California."

A friend of mine purchased a DC9 and I was surprised at how horrible the quality was. The "fixed" front site was not only crooked, (from front to back it was at maybe a 9 or 10 degree angle to the line of the barrel) it was also off center (meaning it wasn't welded on the exact top of the upper receiver. The smallest shot group I recorded was a little over 5 inches. We fired about 150 rounds through it with no jams.

I purchased my TEC-9M for $167.00 - including taxes.

So anyway that is my experience with the TEC-9.

CollinLeon
March 6, 2011, 07:50 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_uIFPb2HleBU/R2cweZASCkI/AAAAAAAACVM/-qejYLbJ3ug/s640/tec-9.jpg

If Dirty Harry had been carrying one, his line would have been something like, "Well punk, you wonder whether I've shot 49 or 50 times... Well, frankly, I can't count that high, so you have to ask yourself, 'Do you feel lucky'..."

If you enjoyed reading about "Intratec Tec-9 questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!