Anti's, tell me again how only soldiers and police can be trusted with guns...

PDA

Fred Fuller
August 24, 2004, 07:08 PM
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=3&art_id=qw1093265285937B242

Tragedy as Russian roulette hits Olympics

August 23 2004 at 05:52PM

Athens - A Greek soldier standing guard outside an Olympic venue north of Athens was shot dead by a colleague during a game of Russian roulette on Monday morning, police said.

The 25-year soldier, Antonis Syros, received a revolver shot in his head by 20-year-old Christos Chloros, a cadet policeman.

Police said in a written statement that Syros and Chloros had been "jokingly" aiming at each other with the guns they were holding when Chloros' revolver went off.

According to a police source speaking on condition of anonymity, the two men had been playing Russian roulette.
>>>>>>>snip

If you enjoyed reading about "Anti's, tell me again how only soldiers and police can be trusted with guns..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Detachment Charlie
August 24, 2004, 07:12 PM
Upon hearing of this tragedy, noted Olympic enthusiast and firearms expert Nelson Muntz, was quoted as saying, "Ha-Ha.":rolleyes:

Standing Wolf
August 24, 2004, 07:13 PM
Tragedy or lame farce?

Sergeant Sabre
August 24, 2004, 08:56 PM
From the article "Police said in a written statement that Syros and Chloros had been "jokingly" aiming at each other with the guns they were holding when Chloros' revolver went off"

I hate this kind of speak. Went off, huh? I think what happened was that Chloros loaded his weapon, aimed it at his colleague, then pulled the trigger.

FPrice
August 24, 2004, 08:58 PM
"Tragedy or lame farce?"

Greek tragedy.

Sindawe
August 24, 2004, 09:45 PM
Not only does it appear that these fools have'nt a clue about gun safety, they also seem to be a bit lacking in comprehension of the rules of Russian Roulette. :rolleyes:

manwithoutahome
August 24, 2004, 11:06 PM
Anyone can be a Darwin winner, cops, military or any other person that owns a gun.

Doesn't really prove anything, except that we are all human and humans can be stupid.

Wayne

Sam Adams
August 25, 2004, 12:23 PM
My father was a dentist in the Navy around 1960, and one of the stories he tells is of two Marines that decided to play quick draw with .45s at Lakehurst NAS at about 3 one morning in NJ (it wasn't the PRNJ back then). One of the most popular shows on at the time was Gunsmoke, and one of these idjits got himself a shattered jaw for the pleasure of playing Matt Dillon for a few minutes. Needless to say, 2 Marines got themselves court-martialed. Dad said that the guy who was shot was lucky to have lived, as he nearly bled to death.

It is really a shame that people who ought to know better treat guns like toys. I'll bet that they wouldn't juggle steakknives, so this is just sheer idiocy. That one guy died may be a good Darwin Award, but it is something that his family will have to live with forever.

sturmruger
August 25, 2004, 12:44 PM
Don't just love how those guns just "go off" off for no reason!! Funny how they never seem to go off while in the holster.

Leatherneck
August 25, 2004, 01:35 PM
This is viewed as a real setback in the attempt to get Russian Roulette accredited by the IOC. :D

TC
TFL Survivor

J Miller
August 25, 2004, 01:39 PM
To the anti gunners, soldiers and police are the only ones who should have guns. This statement has nothing to do with gun related safety, training, or crime. It is simply because soldiers and police are agents of the government, and therefore under it's control. The civilian population at large is not.

Joe

Chut1st
August 25, 2004, 02:00 PM
"I'll bet that they wouldn't juggle steakknives, so this is just sheer idiocy."

I'll bet that they WOULD.

dobbs23
August 25, 2004, 02:53 PM
Great post Leatherneck!!!!:D

Sam Adams
August 25, 2004, 05:46 PM
"I'll bet that they WOULD."

You may have a point - they were well back in the line for brains.

Hutch
August 25, 2004, 09:39 PM
I bet ouzo was a contributing factor.

Vern Humphrey
August 25, 2004, 10:56 PM
During the Calley Court Martial at Fort Benning, there was an MP car with two MPs in it parked out in front of the courtroom at all times.

One day the MPs really got bored, and one genius was showing the other Einstein how the disconnector on the M1911A1 works -- he would slam the muzzle of the cocked (and loaded) .45 against his palm while pulling the trigger -- and the hammer would fall to half cock.

Thumpclick!

Thumpclick!

KA-Blam!:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Anti's, tell me again how only soldiers and police can be trusted with guns..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!