CPL FINALLY getting here tomorrow!!!

PDA

reagansquad
August 25, 2004, 07:31 PM
I'm finally joining the ranks of those liscensed to carry a weapon. Too bad I don't have anything to carry yet... :uhoh:

I handled a Glock 23 at a gun store near here, and it felt perrrrfect. I'm pretty poor, so I dunno if the $600 price (including a holster) is something I want to throw down on considering that hiking season is almost over. Can you guys suggest any very cheap, yeh very safe/reliable pistols that would be good for cc?

If you enjoyed reading about "CPL FINALLY getting here tomorrow!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Trebor
August 26, 2004, 01:54 AM
Can you guys suggest any very cheap, yeh very safe/reliable pistols that would be good for cc?

Makarov. Spend $150 for the gun, $20 for a set of Pearce Grips and $20 - $40 for a holster. Get the accessories at www.makarov.com. I think you can find better prices on the gun at Aim Surplus though. You'll still need to go through a FFL dealer for the transfer though. You can also look for a Mak local.

Btw, you're in Michigan, right? No one else calls them "CPL's," that I've ever heard.

Destructo6
August 26, 2004, 02:30 AM
I'll second the Makarov. It doesn't shoot the hottest cartridge on the block, but it will go bang every time, and mags are dirt cheap.

www.makarov.com for holsters (of surprisingly high quality) and whatnot.

reagansquad
August 26, 2004, 05:16 AM
Washington...

I was as suprised as you when I saw 'CPL' on the forms I had to fill out. :)

Trebor
August 26, 2004, 07:19 AM
I was as suprised as you when I saw 'CPL' on the forms I had to fill out.

Does it mean "Concealed Pistol License" in Washington as well? That's what it says on our Michigan licenses. (Btw, until last year it said "Concealed Pistols License." Now it is "Pistol," singular)

fiVe
August 26, 2004, 09:31 AM
Get a Makarov! (I carry an East German model). You won't be disappointed.

Regards,
fiVe

cls12vg30
August 26, 2004, 10:37 AM
Another vote for the Makarov. The 9x18 isn't the hottest round, but it's significantlly better than .380. Other Eastern Bloc weapons can also be had for less than $200, and nearly all are of very good quality and reliability. FEG makes several different Walther clones (SMC-380, SMC-918, BR-61, PA-63) that come in .380 and 9x18. One of my local gun shops had a PA-63 for $150.

Andrew Rothman
August 26, 2004, 12:54 PM
Ruger P95 - well under $300. Shoots a full-powered 9x19 cartridge, and a tolerable nylon holster is only $15.

Ewok
August 26, 2004, 02:50 PM
Washington...

I was as suprised as you when I saw 'CPL' on the forms I had to fill out.

I thought maybe you were on the east coast and had been waiting for Carolina Power & Light to restore power after the hurricane. ;)

Moparmike
August 26, 2004, 07:48 PM
Spgfld GI .45 - $425
Witness .45 - $325
Police trade-in .38spl/.357 - $250?
Bersa Thunder .380 - $200 (locally)
Star 9mm - $150

reagansquad
August 27, 2004, 07:38 PM
Whooohoo! It got here today. 30 days on the nose.

It looks like I might just be able to get the Glock 23 I want. Been selling some comic books and things to get some extra $.

Piney
August 28, 2004, 05:19 AM
If you want new take a look at the Springfield XD. I just ordered one, an XD9. $368.
Your lucky you aren't in NJ. The average waiting time is 3 months for a handgun permit.

If you enjoyed reading about "CPL FINALLY getting here tomorrow!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!