The hazards of selling at THR, TFL, S&W forum and Sixgunner

PDA

Brian Williams
August 25, 2004, 09:13 PM
I am trying to sell my 27-2 and this email came from "michael barry" <michael_barry@graffiti.net>
I am interested in the purchase of your (handgun)for sale i will like to
have more detaitls on ti and i will also like to know the last selling price.Get
back to me if you will accept cashier' check as your mode of payment.Hope to
read from you soon if you are willing to sell.
Regards
--

Powered by Outblaze

So I replied sure I would take a certified check and...
this came
Hello,
Thanks for your Email regarding my Offer,I just contacted My Client about the
cost of your GUN which is $450 also informed him about the Present State And
condition of the GUN and he is satisfied with it.So my client said he will be
issuing you a Certified Check of $5,000 while you you deduct the cost of then
GUN $450 and deduct $150 as compesation for the stress that you will go through
when transfering the funds and wire to the rest of the funds to the shipping
company $4,400 through Western Union Money Transfer.The $4,400 would be wired to
the Shipping Company who would come for the pickup of the GUN and also make in
charge of the shippment.So i would want you to send me your full contact
information to where my client will be sending you the Certified Check like
this:
Full Name.........
Full address............. Not a P.o Bo x Address
City...............
State. ... .........
Coun try......... .
Zipcode.......... ..
Cell/office/home phone number.......................
I'll be looking forward to the requested information as soon as
possible so that the payment can be sent issued out immediately and do get back
to me with the Pics of the GUN so that my client will be Able to see What he is
paying off.Hope to read from you soon..
Best Regards....
--

Powered by Outblaze

How about we spam him with all sorts of junk stuff???
sign him up for meet singles in your area or something...

If you enjoyed reading about "The hazards of selling at THR, TFL, S&W forum and Sixgunner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
boofus
August 25, 2004, 09:17 PM
Ask him to send you a USPS Money Order and see if he does it... then the feds can get on his ass if he stiffs them, or he can pay them cash and really send you $5000.

Then you can turn him in to the ATF for illegal straw purchase and dealing in firearms without a FFL and they can stack him on a pyramid of naked arabs in Cuba :neener:

Beren
August 25, 2004, 09:23 PM
One word comes to mind: "Pass." As in, pass on this bloke and look for another buyer. What's with the whole $4400 thing? As a seller, all one needs is an ink-signed copy of the FFL license certificate for FFL the buyer would like the firearm shipped to, and a USPS money order.

Selling a firearm any other way online is asking for trouble, misgivings, and gnashing of teeth.

boofus
August 25, 2004, 09:25 PM
It's a well-known scam. The cashier's check is bogus and will bounce in 2 weeks when your bank tries to clear it. You deposit the money in your bank, send the difference to his sham company. Send the product, then 2 weeks later your bank calls you and tells you the check bounced. You get screwed out of the gun, $4400 of real money from your account plus you get hit with the fee for a bounced check.

I always ask for payment by US Post Office money order. That way if there is any funny business they are defrauding the Federal Govt when they purchase the MO and the feds have the resources to hunt down the scammer and make his life very unfun.

buy guns
August 25, 2004, 11:03 PM
haha this is one of those nigerian scams. tell him your gun was confiscated and that you will through with the deal if he sends you 50 dollars so you can get your gun back. then keep the 50 and never talk to him again :D

sumpnz
August 25, 2004, 11:48 PM
Most likely a scam, but it could also be Agent Schmuckatelli.

Personally, I think you go with buy guns' idea and see what happens. And insist on USPS money order for the $50.

misANTHrope
August 25, 2004, 11:54 PM
You should definitely figure out some way to really screw with him. If you haven't seen it before, read about the foiled eBay Powerbook scam (http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/). It's truly priceless. :D

Moparmike
August 26, 2004, 12:24 AM
misanthrope, that is CLASSIC!!! I am at work and had to work very hard to not burst out laughing uncontrollably. OMG!!!

Majic
August 26, 2004, 02:52 AM
That scam has been around for quite some time. Just ignore it if you don't want to go thru the hassle of trying to get the emailer busted. Some are really elaborate and difficult to trace.

JPL
August 26, 2004, 10:22 AM
I've had that happen twice recently.

I usually get rid of the people by telling them that that method of payment requires 4 weeks processing time to ensure that their check is not bogus and will actually clear the financial services.

I never hear from them again.

SteveS
August 26, 2004, 12:44 PM
haha this is one of those nigerian scams. tell him your gun was confiscated and that you will through with the deal if he sends you 50 dollars so you can get your gun back. then keep the 50 and never talk to him again

I like this idea....or better yet, tell him that your father used to be King of the United States and that you are set to inherit millions, but you need to transfer the money to his bank account if he would just provide you with his account number.

Beren
August 26, 2004, 02:26 PM
It's a well-known scam.

:fire:

Get the scammer!

Personally, I'd call up the ATF and ask if they'd like to do a little sting. You could tell the scammer you have a handful of other pistols in good condition, and would he be interested in buying them all at once? Scammers really, really irritate me and deserve what they get.

Standing Wolf
August 26, 2004, 08:04 PM
Most likely a scam, but it could also be Agent Schmuckatelli.

Oh, perish the thought! One of our forum heroes?

USMCsilver
August 26, 2004, 08:25 PM
Thanks for posting the e-mail address!

I sent him an e-mail that I had a Glock 22 in "like new" condition that I was wanting to sell.

He responded with the subject line as "Urgent!" and it had the same scam, verbatim.

I wonder if this has actually turned out successful w/ the would be buyer/scammer?

atek3
August 27, 2004, 02:48 AM
that powerbook scam was priceless.
atek3

If you enjoyed reading about "The hazards of selling at THR, TFL, S&W forum and Sixgunner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!