RRA AR-15 Stainless Barrel???

PDA

Lex
August 25, 2004, 09:46 PM
I'm really looking hard at the RRA Tactical Car A4.

Anyone own one? Feedback?

Is it worth the few extra $$$ and get a stainless steel barrel? The Chrome-Moly/1:9 is standard and the R-4 Crome-Moly is a no-charge option.

I understand stainless will be slightly harder to clean?

Any advice on the barrel?

Thanks,

Lex in NC

If you enjoyed reading about "RRA AR-15 Stainless Barrel???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
boofus
August 25, 2004, 09:55 PM
My last AR was a RRA carbine with 16" stainless M4 contour barrel. It did not like Wolf ammunition at all. It would cycle fine most of the time but the bolt would not lock open on empty mags. The American stuff like Federal XM193 and Winchester worked flawlessly though. Don't they usually use stainless barrels in precision rifles? I think it's kind of wasted on a 16" carbine. RRA also offers chrome-lined M4 barrels.

I really didn't notice that it was any harder or easier to clean than a regular barrel. I ended up selling it because I wanted a shooter that could handle the cheap ammo. Got me a pre-ban Armalite in the works now. :D

Darkside
August 26, 2004, 09:55 AM
I can't comment on the stainless barrel but, RRA is offering chrome lined barrels. If you are looking for durability and easy cleaning, chrome is the way to go. My bushy has the chrome bore and one or two wet patches one dry one and I am done.:) with the barrel.

My RRA has a chromeMOLY barrel and it cleans almost as easy.

Both rifles will shoot into 1 1/2" at 100 yards, probable a little better with a scope and not the red dot sight.

Darkside

Master Blaster
August 26, 2004, 12:37 PM
I bought an RRA varmint upper with a 20" stainless bull barrel, It shoots .5 MOA 5 shot groups with my handloads of 69 gr sierra HPBT match king, federal match primer, and 24 grains of winchester 748 2.260" OAL. I shot three groups that size last friday off the bench with the rifle propped on my elbows (forgot my Bipod). I did a 10 shot group that was 1 moa that day with the same load. I have a match trigger group on order and will try it again with a rest (can you say a one hole group?????). The RRA stainless barrel is very good A stainless barrel has a large amount of chrome mixed into the alloy, so it is harder/ tougher than a nonstainless barrel.

If you plan to rapid fire mag fulls of ammo til the barrel glows, or you plan to neglect cleaning, then the crome lined barrel may hold up longer for you, or not.

The RRA barrel is a wilson barrel, I have not shot any wolf ammo in it nor do I plan to. I also have a Bushmaster with their milspec crome lined barrel, and as far as comparing the cleaning they are both about the same.

I do know that when I cleaned the RRA after 100 rounds fired, I used a copper solvent, and I was surprised that there was no blue on the patches after a 1 hour soaking. So the barrel is very smooth and did not pick up any copper fouling.

As far as wolf ammo goes I would say the problem with the M4 gery not liking it had to do with the inconsistency and lack of quality of the Wolf ammo, not the type of barrel on the RRA gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "RRA AR-15 Stainless Barrel???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!