German Army Service Rifle?

PDA

TNGO
August 26, 2004, 01:11 PM
What is it?

If you enjoyed reading about "German Army Service Rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MrMurphy
August 26, 2004, 01:29 PM
Formerly, the H&K G3, a .308 20-shot semiauto and auto battle rifle.

Currently the H&K G36, a 5.56mm 30-shot selective fire assault rifle, with a folding stock, and a 1.5X scope/dot scope combination (stacked) with iron sights hiding under the carrying handle if those go down. The dot scope is fiberoptic/battery powered.

The G36 is the base rifle, highly modified, of the XM8 the Army looks like it'll adopt. It uses the same operational system as the AR18, AR180B, etc which stays very clean over a long period of firing, much more so than the AR15.

The G36 is mostly made of polymers, with steel inserts where it needs it, and the barrel length can be changed at the company level, so you can make the G36C carbine into a standard rifle or MG36 squad automatic rifle in about ten minutes.

The H&K MG43 has been adopted as the MG4 to fill the SAW light machine gun role for the squads as the MG36 doesn't really quite cut it, and the old MG3 is rather heavy (30 pounds) and in 7.62mm for this role.

PMDW
August 26, 2004, 01:29 PM
I believe they use the HK G36, unless they've changed in the last couple years.

TNGO
August 26, 2004, 01:34 PM
Thanks!

Rebar
August 26, 2004, 01:53 PM
What's the general opinion of the service HK G36?

MrMurphy
August 26, 2004, 02:08 PM
I've heard from a guy who was in Afghanistan that the Germans there had some problems with the early ones cracking occasionally but I believe that's been fixed. The G36 tests run by various police departments etc (multithousand round tests, rolling around in mud, etc) have come out pretty well. Spain has adopted the G36 as well.

Blackhawk 6
August 26, 2004, 02:37 PM
I shot the G-36 fairly extensively during one of HK's courses. It had some nice features, but I wasn't that impressed. I'll stick with a M-4.

If you enjoyed reading about "German Army Service Rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!